Sony Xperia S - Page 6 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-03-2012, 15:01   #76
Am I Evil?

Been ringing around and found a place that has one in stock and on Three
So I'll be picking that up in a while
Advertisement
15-03-2012, 17:20   #77
CraigSmith_IO

Limited stock absolutely everywhere. Don't you just love delays.
15-03-2012, 17:26   #78
Am I Evil?

Just back with mine giving it a good charge

Had a mess about with it. The screen is insane
Phone is massive though and will take me a while to get used to
(2) thanks from:
15-03-2012, 21:56   #79
flazio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am I Evil? View Post

Where did you get it? (Network store, CPW)
What network?
Bill or prepay upgrade/new connection?
Price?
15-03-2012, 22:53   #80
marcbrophy

On o2.ie it comes up as €279 for prepay, but when you select it and try to buy it, the price magically changes to €429
Advertisement
16-03-2012, 07:25   #81
IncognitoMan

Quote:

What are your first impressions of the phone?

Also did you get a micro hdmi to hdmi cable?

Last edited by IncognitoMan; 16-03-2012 at 10:36.
16-03-2012, 10:59   #82
opus

Quote:
Been ringing around and found a place that has one in stock and on Three
So I'll be picking that up in a while
Would be interested to hear if it's got the 3 crap stuff on it or if it's it's stock Sony s/w as well as your impressions.

I'm on 3 already but think I'd rather buy a simfree phone rather than be tied to 3's s/w.
16-03-2012, 18:41   #83
Am I Evil?

I got the phone in carphone warehouse in limerick. on 3 pre pay, the phone has zero 3 branding on it I'm sort of convinced the phone could well be sim free so might check that out. Impressions so far are excellent. Really am dead happy with it. I heard bad things about the touch buttons the bottom but it's perfect I've had no problems yet. I hit them just above the dots. The screen as I said earlier is incredible and the camera is excellent. got a good go of that last night. Flash does well too.

regarding the video recording same as the still images. very impressive .
Phone is fast. I've had no sluggishness and I wouldn't worry about the 32gb storage as you get a free 50gb cloud storage account with box. So far probably my only worry would be battery life but there's no escaping that on these sort of phones. Needs a good few charges to even out anyway. Apologies for the rubbish way this is written out but I'm using the phone haha and also before forget In the box I got the 4 smart tags and a hdmi cable
(2) thanks from:
17-03-2012, 15:46   #84
ED E

After a review like that I really want to upgrade my X10 now :| Birthday is the end of the month
Advertisement
17-03-2012, 18:52   #85
Alanstrainor

Hmmm, tempted by this phone all of a sudden.

What's the return policy in car phone warehouse and the likes? Want to buy one for 409 on meteor or any network to see if it's sim free.
17-03-2012, 23:12   #86
evolutionqy7

Played around with the other day. First boot takes ages. Couldn't say the performance was great either. A lot of sluggishness between screen transitions. Screen camera is as good as its gets, but still can't match AMOLED I think.

Weird boxing not like what everyone else is doing. Extra accessories bundled in too.

Phone itself seems huge though. Matches the height of my Titan yet it sports a smaller screen and its quite thick. Its a big phone for sure. Buttons are a bit confusing in the start, kept hitting the button and not the dot.

The transparent bar is sort of cool but I think they should have never put it there, would have shaved a few mm from top to bottom. Its cool for the first couple mins but then it turns sort of useless.
17-03-2012, 23:30   #87
chrislad

Very meh, the only thing that jumped out at me was the camera. It looks okay, bit too big, but that's a personal preference. Nothing that would pull me away from Windows or my Lumia.
18-03-2012, 06:09   #88
Am I Evil?

The first boot does infact take ages also the phone chugged a bit when first booted up. It all went away when the phone was shut off and on again. Just a case of the os and everything else installing and getting booted up and ready.It only ever happens on the very first boot up of the phone when its setting up android. The phone is as fast as they come. Infact the current fastest phone you can buy.obviously to be topped by the one x next month. The screen has the highest pixel density of any phone out there. Including the 4s. Also with the Sonybravia engine. Everything in perfect 720p. It is definitely however not for everyone if you like your smaller phones definitely go have a play around with one.everyone that's seen my Xperia s has been loving the screen and the camera. Top phone and it's the best android phone out at the moment but of course it'l be dropped off that fair fast with the way android moves.

one fairly annoying issue I have though is not all head phones work. They've changed it to some headphone recommended standard which rules out a surprising amount of options. You just have to make sure. Can't think of the name off the top of my head though. an old Sony pair I have don't even work. Luckily the boxed earphones seem to be of a good quality. And my sennheisers work so it's grand

As with all phones though It really boils down to personal preference, Go give it a test if you're unsure
If anyone interested in the phone has any questions or anything about it just send me a message.Would be happy to answer

Last edited by Am I Evil?; 18-03-2012 at 06:23.
Thanks from:
18-03-2012, 11:25   #89
Oafley Jones

Quote:
The first boot does infact take ages also the phone chugged a bit when first booted up. It all went away when the phone was shut off and on again. Just a case of the os and everything else installing and getting booted up and ready.It only ever happens on the very first boot up of the phone when its setting up android. The phone is as fast as they come. Infact the current fastest phone you can buy.obviously to be topped by the one x next month. The screen has the highest pixel density of any phone out there. Including the 4s. Also with the Sonybravia engine. Everything in perfect 720p. It is definitely however not for everyone if you like your smaller phones definitely go have a play around with one.everyone that's seen my Xperia s has been loving the screen and the camera. Top phone and it's the best android phone out at the moment but of course it'l be dropped off that fair fast with the way android moves.

one fairly annoying issue I have though is not all head phones work. They've changed it to some headphone recommended standard which rules out a surprising amount of options. You just have to make sure. Can't think of the name off the top of my head though. an old Sony pair I have don't even work. Luckily the boxed earphones seem to be of a good quality. And my sennheisers work so it's grand

As with all phones though It really boils down to personal preference, Go give it a test if you're unsure
If anyone interested in the phone has any questions or anything about it just send me a message.Would be happy to answer

The headphone standard is CTIA and it's the most common out there owing to Apple. I was termpted by this when it was first announced and still like the look of it but i've a few concerns. Nearly everyone has mentioned that the capacitive buttons can sometimes be fairly unresponsive, that the new skin seems a lot heavier that what SE used in the past and there seems to be a good few people complained about a yellow stains under the screen.
18-03-2012, 18:01   #90
evolutionqy7

I did reboot it. I know previously SE phones used to need a restart and a little time to settle down after the first initial boot.

But even after that it still wasn't as smooth as I would have expected it to be, its not completely jerky as it was on the first boot, but I can still see lag and jerkiness between transitions. My mums Xperia Play still seems to run hell of a lot smoother on its small and nippy 1 Ghz engine.

On personal preference not something you want to see on a high end phone

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion