Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Sony Xperia S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A few design quirks there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Cant seem to get a hold of one of these anywhere in Cork!! The girl in the Patrick Street store said she doesn't know when they will get them back in, they only got 2 originally!!:(

Meteor store in Douglas Court had 2 on saturday morning when I popped in. White only though so I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

Ludo wrote: »
    Meteor store in Douglas Court had 2 on saturday morning when I popped in. White only though so I passed.

Yeah went in Friday and decided on the White one, it wasn't on the system as it was only delivered that morning so they could not give it to me. As an apology the guy in the store gave me the Smart50 plan for half price €25 a month. I originally wanted the smart30 plan. Got the phone for €50 then, a lot less than i was expecting. He rang me sat morning saying it was now on the system and ready to collect.

I must say the customer service was excellent in that store compared to Patrick Street, the girl there just shrugged her shoulders saying she didn't know when they'd get them in!!

Mine arrived from Meteor this morning...they were nice enough to include a Meteor SIM in the pack. That is bloody useful as it takes a microSIM !!! Now I have to go off and get one of them in a store I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ludo wrote: »
    Mine arrived from Meteor this morning...they were nice enough to include a Meteor SIM in the pack. That is bloody useful as it takes a microSIM !!! Now I have to go off and get one of them in a store I guess.

Can be done with a scissors....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Is anyone else finding the battery a little poor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4

you using Juice defender to turn off mobile data when screen is off, also think there is an new firmware 6.0.A.3.73
    available that reduces battery drain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Anyone see this issue on their phone (I dont think we would really get temperatures in the +40 range here in Ireland but you never know!

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/sony-acknowledges-xperia-s-yellow-display-issues-will-replace-devices-03-04-2012/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+geeky-gadgets+%28Geeky+Gadgets%29

yeah not much chance of that happen in Ireland,
    I wonder what would apple say if that issue effected an iphone, they would probably say move the phone to a cooler envirnoment i.e. like a fridge :-)

billbond4 wrote: »
    you using Juice defender to turn off mobile data when screen is off, also think there is an new firmware 6.0.A.3.73
    available that reduces battery drain

Ya I have juice defender and I have the screen back-light turned off. I've seen on some forums that the battery improves after a few charges. Is there maybe a case that you can buy like the iphone has that adds to the battery. Ill have a look at that update now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

I went through some amount of trouble to get my hands on this phone, but it's been worth it! I was having serious battery drain issues though, but I upgraded the firmware today and there's already been a huge difference.

In regards to the yellow screen issue, Sony have said that anyone who is experiencing it, is entitled to a free repair. It's strange being treated fairly! (I've just upgraded from an iPhone 3Gs :P )

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/sony-xperia-s-yellow-screen-issue-confirmed-1074810

Ericaa wrote: »
    I went through some amount of trouble to get my hands on this phone, but it's been worth it! I was having serious battery drain issues though, but I upgraded the firmware today and there's already been a huge difference.

In regards to the yellow screen issue, Sony have said that anyone who is experiencing it, is entitled to a free repair. It's strange being treated fairly! (I've just upgraded from an iPhone 3Gs :P )

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/sony-xperia-s-yellow-screen-issue-confirmed-1074810

Just a quick question. Is the firmware update the first tab on the sony pc companion when you connect your phone to the laptop.

I upgraded from the 3gs aswell and I have to save I really like this phone

Just a quick question. Is the firmware update the first tab on the sony pc companion when you connect your phone to the laptop.

I upgraded from the 3gs aswell and I have to save I really like this phone

You know what? I don't actually know. It seems that the latest firmware still isn't here in Ireland yet, (at least it wasn't available for my o2 phone), so I updated it through other software!

It's so awesome compared to the 3Gs, mine was so incredibly slow from iOS 5 that it was frustrating to use!

Sony Mobile also have a two year warranty on their phones and one year warranty on their accessories, so its better than apples one year warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Carphone Warehouse now have these devices on Vodafone.
    €429 on prepay,
    on the €30 per month plan €199 for 18m, €49 for 24m.
    on the €65 per month plan €99 for 18m free for 24m
    I'm going to try and get it tomorrow. Moving up from a Samsung Wave I. Had Sony Ericsson phones before the Smart phone thing started and loved those.
    Anyone have a good reason why I should not go for this phone, speak now or forever hold your peace.
    I will issue one word of warning though, I don't think the Vodafone stock come with any NFC tags. I saw four of them in a box Carphone Warehouse use for O2, Meteor and e Mobile connections but none in the box for Vodafone. The HDMI cable is present and correct but no sign of the tags.

If you get it from cpw they have generally all the same contents in the box

I got no tags in my Meteor one which arrived yesterday. Direct from meteor though...not CPW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If you get it from cpw they have generally all the same contents in the box
    Not necessarily Vodafone stock. CPW can get stock that works across multi networks (but the majority of stock is network locked) but because of Vodafone's Pack ID system the Vodafone stock is always Vodafone only and nearly always locked to Vodafone.

Bought mine in an o2 store and I got no NFC tags :(

Went in to ask about them today, and I was looked at like I have three heads, oh well.

I would ask again, as I thought all Irish xperia s would have at least two tags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

4 tags in Three's box

• Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Got mine today, delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Why is this thread not in the Android forum

Walkman wrote: »
    Why is this thread not in the Android forum
    Because it's about a phone, not Android silly!
    I would ask again, as I thought all Irish xperia s would have at least two tags
    Huh yeah, I asked them online just there, nope, ****ing nothing! Actually, read my experience I've had with o2...it's been atrocious. I thought they'd at least give me tags after being so crap to me!

Here's what I just posted on the o2 forum:

Hi there,

I wanted to ask about the NFC SmartTags that come with the Sony Xperia S. I bought an Xperia last week from o2 in Waterford. It took about two weeks to get my hands on the phone because no one in that shop seems to have a clue what's going on.

I went in one day they told me a delivery would be arriving, I asked is the phone in yet, the woman said no but that it'd be in in the next few hours. She took my details and said she'd ring when it did come in. I waited around town for two hours, so I decided to ask do they have a rough time of when the delievery would arrive. I talk to a different worker, only to be told that a delivery came that morning, and that there were no Xperia's in it.

I leave feeling slightly confused, and I'm told for the fourth time, to come back in two days time. I then decide I'm probably better off buying it off the o2 website, so I return to the shop yet again to enquire about a micro sim. A different woman again tells me that they're completely out of stock, even on the website.

I come home to find that they are in stock on the site, but after being told they weren't, I didn't lodge money into a bank account to make the order, so I still had to wait.

At this stage, two of the workers have my details, and both said to me that as soon as their next delivery comes in, they'll ring me and hold one for me. I come in on the day of delivery, only to find that neither of the workers bothered to ring me. Anyway, I do finally get the handset, only to later find out that it's faulty. I have to return the next day to get a replacement. Luckily, this one works perfectly.

Yesterday, I saw an advertisement for SmartTags, which I hadn't heard of before. After a little internet research, I find out that other operators here, are selling the Xperia with four SmartTags inside the box. I also find out that Sony and o2 in the UK are teaming together to give any Xperia S customers free SmartTags if they didn't receieve any.

Yet again I find myself in the o2 store in Waterford to enquire about the tags, only to find that when I ask, the workers look at me like I have three heads, None of them had a clue what SmartTags were, or even NFC technology.

So after my ramble, what I'm trying to get at is, am I entitled to these SmartTags? After the frankly crappy service I've receieved in the o2 store, I think I deserve these at least!

Thank you for your time,

Erica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sony Mobile also have a two year warranty on their phones and one year warranty on their accessories, so its better than apples one year warranty

That used to be true is it still the case though, I thought they changed it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Ericaa wrote: »
    Because it's about a phone, not Android silly!

Ya but its an Android phone - the bulk of phone threads for phones running Android are in the Android forum. I would have thougt it should be in the Android forum too

It was for a friend of mine who bought the xperia s a few weeks ago, the phone in cpw would work on any network, but maybe when more stock comes in its for a specific operator

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Ya but its an Android phone - the bulk of phone threads for phones running Android are in the Android forum. I would have thougt it should be in the Android forum too

I've asked about this already and didn't get a response. Of course it should be in The android forum, it's ridiculous that it's still here. Notice that the sgs 3 thread was moved within hours of it being created.

I would assume that the android forum is for android app questions and general android app info, and this forum is for mobiles in general.
    On the o2 forum there is a similar setup and that's the way it works

• Advertisement

I would assume that the android forum is for android app questions and general android app info, and this forum is for mobiles in general.
    On the o2 forum there is a similar setup and that's the way it works

Nope...all android phone threads are in the Android forum bar this one. Reported it anyway so will see if it gets moved.

Advertisement