Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-01-2012, 16:30   #1
georgiecasey

Send a message via ICQ to georgiecasey
Installing 1995 Hard Drive on a Current PC to get Old Files

Weird problem here, my father got a new PC finally and needs his old files from his 1995 AST Advantage 611 with 8MB RAM AND 500MB Hard Drive.

It has no internet at all, no modem jack, no USB slots, no CD writer, etc.

The only thing I thought I could use was the 3.5" floppy. So I bought a USB drive and disk but after many attempts his floppy disk drive just corrupts every new floppy I put into it.

So I can only think of 2 more options.
1) Somehow messing around with the serial and parallel ports, which is before my time, I wouldn't know where to start
2) Take out his 500MB Hard drive and install it on a bay in my current PC. This is my preferred option. Would a 1995 hard drive be similiar to install to a current one?! Just plug in the power cable and connection and away you go?!
Advertisement
17-01-2012, 16:32   #2
sugarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiecasey View Post
2) Take out his 500MB Hard drive and install it on a bay in my current PC. This is my preferred option. Would a 1995 hard drive be similiar to install to a current one?! Just plug in the power cable and connection and away you go?!
Yep, it SHOULD be just an old IDE disc drive.
Thanks from:
17-01-2012, 16:33   #3
Auvers
Closed Account

Quote:
this would be your best option as its going to be an IDE connection or an IDE caddy could also be used
Thanks from:
17-01-2012, 16:41   #4
georgiecasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman View Post
Yep, it SHOULD be just an old IDE disc drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auvers View Post
this would be your best option as its going to be an IDE connection or an IDE caddy could also be used
Yeah, I know it's IDE. Good, I'll try that now.

Cheers
17-01-2012, 17:55   #5
Morlar
Closed Account

Do you know if it is FAT16 or FAT32 ? Far as I remember W7 does not do FAT 16.
Advertisement
17-01-2012, 19:19   #6
Skerries

thats just Thinist!
18-01-2012, 00:24   #7
whoami1

Network cable?
18-01-2012, 00:49   #8
georgiecasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami1 View Post
Network cable?
No ethernet card or any kinda of a network card.

Serial and parallel ports, that's it.
18-01-2012, 03:45   #9
Overheal
MegaMod X

Send a message via Skype™ to Overheal
professional data transfer service tbf. Someone who already has the necessary setup. Shouldn't cost you that much, less than 100 I would think but probably more than 50. It's Data Recovery from failed drives that causes the most headaches and costs considerably more.
Advertisement
20-01-2012, 10:38   #10
truedoom

simplest solution:

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=...nkw=ide+to+usb
21-01-2012, 15:26   #11
partyatmygaff

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-2-0-IDE-P...item3a6f5e24dd

Use a Windows XP Machine or a Windows XP virtual machine running in Windows 7 to access the drive. If your current desktop has an IDE port that would probably work too.

If all else fails, there are ways and means of transferring data over a serial port. It's incredibly slow though.
11-02-2012, 18:02   #12
georgiecasey

cheers for the ide to usb replies as i've just got around to this, managed to get the hard drive out, dust nearly killed me! went to put the hard drive in and of course my new PC is sata only with the old harddrive ide/parallel ata.

power cables don't seem to have changed much though. do i've to do any messing with jumpers on the old drive? i just can't fathom the idea that you can put a 16 year old drive into a new build and use it with no problems!
11-02-2012, 19:24   #13
yoyo

Quote:
cheers for the ide to usb replies as i've just got around to this, managed to get the hard drive out, dust nearly killed me! went to put the hard drive in and of course my new PC is sata only with the old harddrive ide/parallel ata.

power cables don't seem to have changed much though. do i've to do any messing with jumpers on the old drive? i just can't fathom the idea that you can put a 16 year old drive into a new build and use it with no problems!
Set the jumper to "Cable Select" so you shouldn't run into any issues. I would just use the hard disk for purpose of getting data off it and stopping then, old hard drives will work slower and may fail at any stage

Nick
11-02-2012, 19:26   #14
georgiecasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
Set the jumper to "Cable Select" so you shouldn't run into any issues. I would just use the hard disk for purpose of getting data off it and stopping then, old hard drives will work slower and may fail at any stage

Nick
ya, for sure, i've no intention of permanently parking a 650MB drive beside my two 1TB drives! i'm grabbing everything and then it's going in the bin.
11-02-2012, 21:02   #15
Firblog

Use the data cable from the old PC as the cable in the new machine will be too 'fast' for the old drive; also set the jumpers to cable select

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion