Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: What area is your pre-Garda third level qualification?
Business (HR, Marketing, Management, etc.) 7 18.92%
Humanities (Law, History, Social Sciences, etc.) 11 29.73%
Engineering (Civil, Mechanical, Electronic, etc.) 5 13.51%
Science (Biology, Forensics, Physics, Chemistry, etc.) 3 8.11%
Computers (Programming, Networking, Software, etc.) 5 13.51%
Other 3 8.11%
No previous third level qualification 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

13-01-2012, 15:45   #1
Corruptable

Qualifications among Gardai

From my own experience, there is a perception of An Garda Siochana as an organisation which doesn't attract third level graduates.

So I'm interested in the levels of educational achievement among those members who frequent this forum, and specifically that achieved prior to their joining of the force, which will hopefully remove the image and the stereotype's I often encounter form my head.

To start, I'm presently in the middle of a undergraduate Law programme.

Hopefully this thread doesn't breach the Charter or otherwise compromise members (which is not my intention)

Last edited by Corruptable; 13-01-2012 at 15:54. Reason: Spelling and content added
Advertisement
13-01-2012, 19:30   #2
CharlieCroker

Degree in Building and industrial services engineering and the plan is to do law in the near future
13-01-2012, 19:47   #3
Delancey
Closed Account

Sometime back in the 1980's the papers carried on their front page the story of a Garda who had just had his passing out parade at Templemore. His claim to fame was that he was the first 3rd level graduate to join AGS .
13-01-2012, 20:22   #4
da_hambo

Well majority on my unit have a degree in something.and it counts, id advise anyone to do it.if you enter the guards with a recognised degree, you go up three notches on the pay scale as an incentive upon attestation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corruptable View Post
From my own experience, there is a perception of An Garda Siochana as an organisation which doesn't attract third level graduates.

So I'm interested in the levels of educational achievement among those members who frequent this forum, and specifically that achieved prior to their joining of the force, which will hopefully remove the image and the stereotype's I often encounter form my head.

To start, I'm presently in the middle of a undergraduate Law programme.

Hopefully this thread doesn't breach the Charter or otherwise compromise members (which is not my intention)
Thanks from:
13-01-2012, 20:33   #5
Corruptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCroker View Post
Degree in Building and industrial services engineering and the plan is to do law in the near future
I strongly recommend it, I find it a fascinating area, both Civil and Criminal. I could imagine it would be incredibly useful as a member of An Garda Siochana to have the extra background it in.

I've considered applying for the Reserves (though I know there is mixed views on them among full-time members) to get a glimpse of what the job is like and add any support I can to full-time members.
Advertisement
13-01-2012, 22:58   #6
King Ludvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_hambo View Post
if you enter the guards with a recognised degree, you go up three notches on the pay scale as an incentive upon attestation.
Is the extra pay for a degree not all but gone now for any new recruits that enter AGS in the future?
13-01-2012, 23:13   #7
d3exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ludvig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_hambo View Post
if you enter the guards with a recognised degree, you go up three notches on the pay scale as an incentive upon attestation.
Is the extra pay for a degree not all but gone now for any new recruits that enter AGS in the future?

Anyone who joined in the last decade or so, since training became the 2years, come out with a BA in policing studies (which is fairly worthless outside of the job tbh) so technically all garda college graduates are third level graduates... Alot of lads on my unit have previous qualifications alright. I only have a cert I would definitely recommend anyone looking to join to have something to their name before joining
14-01-2012, 07:04   #8
Terrontress

The proportion of Irish people under 35 with higher education is extremely high due to the low school leaving age and free education policies. With the new costs this might change although we won't see the impact for some while.

It would probably be more interesting to look at the proportion of Gardai with a third level education compared with a similar population outside AGS.

Or else look at the number of people who went to traditional style universities such as TCD, UCD, DCU, NUI, UL, UCC rather than the series of ITs or colleges which sprung up, sometimes offering bachelor degrees in subjects that would not previously have been seen as a degree subject.

Last edited by Terrontress; 14-01-2012 at 07:07.
14-01-2012, 14:08   #9
Mister Jingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCroker View Post
How would you get around doing that while working if you don't mind me asking ?

Not being smart but a genuine question
Advertisement
14-01-2012, 14:10   #10
CharlieCroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Jingles View Post
How would you get around doing that while working if you don't mind me asking ?

Not being smart but a genuine question
Distance learning and night courses. You suit the course around your work schedule basically.
(2) thanks from:
15-01-2012, 12:50   #11
Bosh

A colleague was in a local hotel recently to view CCTV and was dealing a somewhat supercilious manager. Conversation went some thing like this:

Manager: "Only pass Leaving Cert needed to get into the Guards these days?" (with a smirk)

Guard (cheerfully): "Yup, more than is required for hotel management......and we get a pension".

That, as they say, was all she wrote

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion