Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-01-2012, 11:30   #1
Atomic Pineapple

Participant packs - ideas?

So people seem to think a general information pack for people taking part would be a good idea. I can knock some of this up myself if someone can get it printed then it would be great.

Here's what I was thinking:

Information sheet detailing the event, what its about and why it happens
Information sheet about the charity
Sheet with contact numbers for the organisers and how to contact in an emergency or when lost
Sheet detailing the route, the hotels, the planned stops along the route and any events organised.
Sponsorship cards!
Description of how hard the event actually is and why people should donate/take part
Details on how to donate and the guidelines to make sure a proper total is available this year

So I was wondering if anybody has any additional ideas for what it should contain or changes to the above ideas?
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2012, 11:38   #2
Jemmy

I could probably do some printing here in work if you need
That list seems to cover the lot though

Last edited by Jemmy; 13-01-2012 at 11:50.
Thanks from:
13-01-2012, 12:34   #3
jenizzle

I guess some tips for long journey driving too wouldn't go amiss.

Make sure your fuel tank is always full, have a proper spare tyre/kit *cough*Marlow*cough* (I understand that this is an individual responsibility of the participant, as is the general upkeep of the car e.g. me and my oil), always have a spare sammich or roll in the car to eat in case you don't get to stop at a garage for lunch...

I can also print a lot of stuff here, no problems there!
13-01-2012, 12:44   #4
star-pants
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenizzle View Post
I guess some tips for long journey driving too wouldn't go amiss.
I was going to say similar but wasn't sure if it would be condescending of me to suggest a 'pre-trip' check. In what you were saying about keeping an eye on making sure you've a spare tyre, checking your other tyres, that your oil & water levels are ok etc.
Other things that have been suggested like having food/water handy in the car just in case -- good idea.
Maybe add even just a note on general conduct on the roads, given ye are in convoy and will attract attention. Also no one wants any accidents. (although if there's a pre-trip meet it could be just said in person)
13-01-2012, 12:46   #5
Jemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenizzle View Post
have a proper spare tyre/kit *cough*Marlow*cough*
haha had forgotten about that!
Advertisement
13-01-2012, 14:06   #6
Gary ITR

Just to touch on preparing yourself and your car, the trip is quite gruelling on the car, it's a lot of miles in a very short space of time so it's important to consider the following

Oil Level is good and checked throughout the weekend, bring a spare litre or so (or 5 if you drive a Honda )
Brake/Steering/Clutch fluids are all up to standard
All tyres are in good condition, good thread depth with no rips tears
If the car is due a service shortly after the trip you might consider doing it beforehand
Make sure all bulbs are working, carry a few spares too
Try and have the car clean inside, it can be quite depressing sitting in a dirty car for a long period, it's ok on the 4 mile round trip to work but it will bug you on the longer trip

Last year Urban Per4mance offered a free safety check to every driver taking part, this won't be available this year but I'll look into getting something sorted with another garage

I will be carrying a basic tool kit, trolley jack and diagnostics so hopefully that will cover everybody

As for preparing yourself, I have been dricing silly distances for years with my work and the most important thing is comfortable trousers/jeans/whatever. There's nothing worse than sitting for hours on end in an uncomfortable pair of jeans.

Plenty of water in the car, maybe get yourself a small ice box. Some high energy foods, protien bar etc. If you start feeling tired do not resort to any 'High Energy' drink, these will have you flying for 30 minutes and then you're worse off. The best thing to do is inform one of the organisers and we'll stop, get a rest and some food.

In the event of a breakdown you will not be left behind, last year we had two and both drivers got the cars safely onto recovery trucks and carried on as passengers

I'm sure I'll think of more to add to this
13-01-2012, 19:04   #7
Drummerboy08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary ITR View Post
Last year Urban Per4mance offered a free safety check to every driver taking part, this won't be available this year but I'll look into getting something sorted with another garage

I can get the safety checks done, if anyone wants one done before the event (or any time for that matter) just PM me.

It cover's the basics like tyres, brakes, lights and levels etc, but it's free and I can get it done at a good few locations around Dublin, and a few others around Ireland.
(2) thanks from:
13-01-2012, 22:43   #8
Quazzie
Subscriber

I hope this isn't being greedy, but how about we do an information pack for participants along the lines of this, but also an information pack that we can present to sponsors. There would be a huge overlap between these two so it wouldn't be a whole lot more to produce but could be benefitial.
Thanks from:
28-01-2012, 17:35   #9
Atomic Pineapple

Ok, I've put together a brochure of sorts, it should be attached, comments on it welcome!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf atwr_brochure.pdf (735.9 KB, 54 views)
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-01-2012, 18:04   #10
Quazzie
Subscriber

My first thought is that I like the general layout. I have reseervations about the colour scheme. I think changing the brown/maroon colour to the blue thats in the logo would brighten it up no end and add a bit of excitement to it. Also I'd like to see the Boards logo on, or any other companies logos that might come on board, but thats all something that can be added at a later stage.

Also something we are looking to do, to compliment this, is on the back of the sponsorship cards we are looking to have a map of the route, with a small snippet of information on Barretstown, and a small snippet on ATWR and what it is that we're doing. I think in terms of acquiring sponsorship it'll be a huge benefit to have the information on the sponsorships sheets so that when you ask someone for money and they ask whats it about and whos it for you can just flip it over and show them the info whilst explaining it to them.

Last edited by Quazzie; 28-01-2012 at 18:07.
28-01-2012, 18:23   #11
Atomic Pineapple

Better?

I've left room on the last page for logos to be added above the All the Way Round 2012 text
Attached Files
File Type: pdf atwr_brochure.pdf (905.0 KB, 45 views)
Thanks from:
28-01-2012, 18:29   #12
alwaysadub

Page 2 says there was 3 years of gruelling driving....

EDIT: On the side paragraph, not the main page.

Last edited by alwaysadub; 28-01-2012 at 18:41.
Thanks from:
28-01-2012, 19:08   #13
Quazzie
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by draffodx View Post
Better?

I've left room on the last page for logos to be added above the All the Way Round 2012 text
Looks much better imo.
30-01-2012, 10:28   #14
jenizzle

Looks really well Draf, really liking the colour scheme!

My only suggestion is to keep the font consistent as the one in the Barretstown blurb is different to the rest of it.

On the bottom of page 2, Twitter is spelt wrong.

Page 2... This year the trip will take place on the August bank holiday weekend.

Regarding the Facebook page, it's in the old groups format and will be disabled soon. Could one of you log into it and upgrade it, maybe set up an event for it too?
Thanks from:
30-01-2012, 12:02   #15
Atomic Pineapple

It should be OK to attach the word doc here so people can take it down and fix it up?

The facebook won't let me upgrade the group as there hasn't been enough activity on the group lately to warrant it so a new one will have to be created.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion