Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is gay marriage a threat to humanity?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

later10 wrote: »
    You mean that they enforced their movement as being the only true source of moral philosophy or outlook?

Yes, I do know that.

The point is not that the 20th century totalitarians were religious, the point is that the Roman Catholic Church embodies many of the totalitarian characteristics of a 20th century regime.

Embodies? Hell - they wrote the book on how to be Totalitarian.

It's a large volume with lots of sub clauses and lashing of really, really tiny print and footnotes but can be summarised as following:

1. Anyone who disagrees - Torture them until they confess then kill them preferably in public in an extremely painful and prolonged way.

2. Anyone who expresses reservations - Torture them until they confess then kill them preferably in public in an extremely painful and prolonged way.

3. Anyone who is related to/Friends with Anyone who disagrees -Torture them until they confess then kill them preferably in public in an extremely painful and prolonged way. Note - if they name names just torture them and promise to kill them at an unspecified future date if they don't continue to name names.

4. Anyone whose name was named - Torture them until they confess then kill them preferably in public in an extremely painful and prolonged way.

5. Anyone you suspect may disagree - Torture them until they confess then kill them preferably in public in an extremely painful and prolonged way.

Just substitute 'Treason' for 'Heresy' and off you go - The Boy Scouts Guide to Totalitarianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Gay marriage is the biggest threat to humanity since the invention of pineapple on pizza!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

If the whole male population tomorrow decided anal sex was the way to go(with other males) we would be in deep shit.:D

(Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week. Try the veal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Sindri wrote: »
    If the whole male population tomorrow decided anal sex was the way to go(with other males) we would be in deep shit.:D

I was all set to shake my head in disgust but I have to hand it to ya, that veal gag really turned it around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Not with Groupon's fabulous pay for 2 enemas get 1 free deal. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I know there was a joke behind this statement, I just want to point out that if even three-quarters of the whole male population tomorrow decided anal sex was the way to go, it would probably be the single most effective solution to global warming & to the survival of humanity ever undertaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

later10 wrote: »
    I know there was a joke behind this statement, I just want to point out that if even three-quarters of the whole male population tomorrow decided anal sex was the way to go, it would probably be the single most effective solution to global warming & to the survival of humanity ever undertaken.

Are you coming on to me?

And yes, I agree, even though that post stank of hippyness and a desire for casual homosexual sex.

PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Try the douche

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

efb wrote: »
    Try the douche
    What the douche!?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Nobody has the right to tell another human being who they can and cannot love, have sex with or marry.

For an organisation that has had so much bad publicity over it's members having sex with people they shouldn't, I find this laughable and sadly ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Idiots like Ratzinger are a bigger thread to humanity, tbh.

Hilarious.

How in the name of god is the pope a danger to anything? How many people in the 21st century, even priests and religious catholics, listen to a thing he says, or the rules he gives out? Like most people her age my granny is religious. She isnt sitting by the tv waiting for the latest announcements from The Special One though. I doubt her parish priest has a clue what the exact church line is on a range of issues. He doesnt refuse to baptise kids born to unmarried parents. Im sure he either doesnt know what the church rules on contraception exactly are, or simply couldnt care less. Are you one of these people who thinks the church is contributing to the spread of Aids in Africa by any chance?

Honestly. Im not at all religious but people badmouthing the church to be trendy and out there really show their own level of intellect. I have more time for nutters who think the illuminati and freemasons run the world than people who think the catholic church is any threat to our personal freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I suppose the Protector of Paedophiles Everywhere fears that fewer children will be born if a significant proportion of marriages are between same-sex couples, who will not produce offspring. That way, the human population of the planet could decline. It's odd that he doesn't notice that celibacy has the same effect. Nor, seemingly, does he see that perhaps it would be good for the world to at least slow down population growth and its attendant stress on the environment, thereby actually mitigating one of the greatest real threats to humankind.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

No, not unless they have the influence and number to dramatically cut the birth rate which if the figures are correct might not be too bad for a while, this little planet we call home is rather over crowded.

b). Aiding the spread of HIV in Africa by telling African Catholics that they should not use condoms

:D

Go on, tell another one.

So all these Africans falling victim to Aids because they arent using condoms....because the church told them.

These same people are being promiscous.

So wait....

The church discourages condom use. It abhors promiscuity.

These people are shagging around (breaking one church rule) but following the no condom rule.

Tell me what Im missing here. Aids is spreading in Africa because people are either too poor to afford condoms or simply dont want to use them and think it wont happen to them. Anyone who thinks the church has anything to do with it shouldnt be allowed to speak without supervision of a responsible adult by their side tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Captain McDuck

I think homosexuality is an abomination. Where is it all going to end??

Don't tell me a kid growing up with two Daddies is not going to get absolutely hounded for his/her entire childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Don't tell me a kid growing up with two Daddies is not going to get absolutely hounded for his/her entire childhood.

You sir are an ignoramous

Of course they are. Usually when this issue is brought up some gobshh1te chimes in with "kids get beaten in school for being, fat, speccy, freckled, ginger, black......". I think alot of people really forget the borderline psychotically homophobic mindset of the average 14 year old. But as for anyone admitting this, well, as Chris Morris once said, you have more chance of getting a blowjob off the pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Of course they are. Usually when this issue is brought up some gobshh1te chimes in with "kids get beaten in school for being, fat, speccy, freckled, ginger, black......". I think alot of people really forget the borderline psychotically homophobic mindset of the average 14 year old. But as for anyone admitting this, well, as Chris Morris once said, you have more chance of getting a blowjob off the pope.

Lets not pretent that he hasnt given them in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

It's been new thing if the Catholic Church opposes same-sex marriages taking place in it's churches, officiated by Catholic priests. It is their right and no one should force them to do so. What I can't understand is why the Pope is kicking up a fuss over civil marriage, which is simply recognised by the state. If one accepts that committed, loving, monogamous relationships are good for society, as I do, then same-sex marriage should be facilitated. The strange thing is that the Catholic Church is actually a little ahead of some other religious groups as it recognises that being homosexual isn't a choice, yet it fails to follow this to it's obvious conclusion. So the Pope is wrong here, dead wrong.

I have to add though that the "Joe the Nazi" jibes are a bit infantile. He was automatically inducted into the Hitler Youth along with every other boy his age. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticise the guy without resorting to that.

Actually that deserves another run. "Bog brained murphys" ahahaha :D Even Father Stone is in it!

• Advertisement

You haven't explained why you feel it is an abomination. I suspect you have no good reason.

As for your second point, that's more a reason to do something about bullying than banning gay marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

If children are being bullied at school for whatever reason, it is a problem of bullying that needs to be addressed, not what their parents' marital relationship happens to be. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also, given all that has been revealed in recent decades about the sexual kinkiness of the kiddy-fiddler church and its personnel, the chance of getting a blowjob from any of them, top to bottom, is probably nowhere near as remote as Chris Morris seemingly thinks. :):)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    You haven't explained why you feel it is an abomination. I suspect you have no good reason.

As for your second point, that's more a reason to do something about bullying than banning gay marriage.

we should totally ban gay marriage because there is no conceivable way a child will have two mothers or fathers without it

oh wait
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I voted 'yes'. Ya know, just to shake things up.

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    If children are being bullied at school for whatever reason, it is a problem of bullying that needs to be addressed, not what their parents' marital relationship happens to be. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What level of bullying? You can kick a kid out of school for giving the kid a beating. You cant kick kids out of school because they refuse completely to sit beside or interact with the kid. In a country like Ireland its a pretty unfair burden to put on a kid just so too adults can be happy.

What level of bullying? You can kick a kid out of school for giving the kid a beating. You cant kick kids out of school because they refuse completely to sit beside or interact with the kid. In a country like Ireland its a pretty unfair burden to put on a kid just so too adults can be happy.

If you take that to it's obvious conclusion you should probably introduce laws banning certain kids names or banning marriage between gingers! I don't accept that people should be denied the right to marry on the basis that their child might one day be bullied. Most people don't get married on a whim you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Too many assumptions going on there Father Damo.

Can we see some incidents where the kids of straight folks refused to be friends or interact with children raised by gay parents?

Can we see some incidents where the kids of straight folks refused to be friends or interact with children raised by gay parents?

I honestly think if you are arguing that this wouldnt happen in your typical Irish secondary school you are telling a few porkies. Its Ireland. We are, and always will be, the most old school country in Western Europe. It wont ever change. What works in California or Holland cant automatically be transferred to Ireland, people simply have a more old school, violent mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

:D

Go on, tell another one.

So all these Africans falling victim to Aids because they arent using condoms....because the church told them.

These same people are being promiscous.

So wait....

The church discourages condom use. It abhors promiscuity.

These people are shagging around (breaking one church rule) but following the no condom rule.

Tell me what Im missing here. Aids is spreading in Africa because people are either too poor to afford condoms or simply dont want to use them and think it wont happen to them. Anyone who thinks the church has anything to do with it shouldnt be allowed to speak without supervision of a responsible adult by their side tbh.

Breaking news!

People are going to have sex. A lot.

The RCC has had no success in the past in changing this practice. Advising people in Africa to not use condoms is cruel and twisted and Joe the Rat should be encouraged to confine his public comments to areas in which he might actually have some first hand experience. Lectures on "How to hoard Nazi booty" might be genuinely interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I honestly think if you are arguing that this wouldnt happen in your typical Irish secondary school you are telling a few porkies. Its Ireland. We are, and always will be, the most old school country in Western Europe. It wont ever change. What works in California or Holland cant automatically be transferred to Ireland.

I'm not arguing anything...I am simply asking you to point out some incidents that back up your claims...as i believe this makes for a stronger argument.

Until then it's really just hypothetical situations...and that is no way to discuss and important policy that affects peoples lives.

Also, the most old school country in Western Europe is also the one that closed it's embassy to the Vatican...so to quote the hugely overrated Bob Dylan, "The times, they are a changing".

Advertisement