Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-01-2012, 16:35   #16
joceadaigh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclebin View Post
I had the same problem with my parents so I printed out the Freesat EPG from wikipedia on one A4 page. I then used a label printer to label all the remotes TV, DVD, Freesat and Saorview. I then wrote down how to switch between of each of them using the TV remote. I stuck the two sheets in a A4clear plastic sheet back to back so now they now can work the TV without having to keep asking me.
I'd give it about 2hours before those instruction get "put in a safe place" and never seen again. I'd need to glue it to the coffee table.
joceadaigh is offline  
Advertisement
15-01-2012, 00:12   #17
NewHillel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhardman View Post
If anyone's interested, I picked up a Samsung UE46D8000 at the weekend for our lounge, beautiful telly. Specs say it has a DVB-T2 and -S2 tuner.

The interesting part is when you first plug it in, it asks you to select a country, UK or Ireland. If you select Ireland, it'll then do a network search on Air (Saorview) and Satellite, with selectable pre-programmed satellite channels built in. All the Saorview channels come in perfectly, along with all the FTA stuff available from 28.2E.

If you select UK, however, Freesat pops up as an option as well as Satellite... and magically it gives you the Freesat EPG as one option, and (UK)Freeview EPG on the Air setting. A quick renumbering of the Saorsat channels (which all appear in the 800s) and the TV now has full Freesat HD and Saorview... and a hard disc shoved in the back and it all records nicely.

Just thought you might like to know!
Yeah, I've been trying to justify buying one for the past three months. Problem is my current TV, now 5 years old, cost a fortune and is still working (too) well.
Good viewing.
NewHillel is offline  
15-01-2012, 13:39   #18
championc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHillel View Post
Yeah, I've been trying to justify buying one for the past three months. Problem is my current TV, now 5 years old, cost a fortune and is still working (too) well.
Good viewing.
Now that's a difficult choice alright. Panny always seem to launch their new TV range about now every year and so you should see last years' models now being heavily discounted (in the UK anyway).

However, it strikes me that the next best option in a TV is an embedded (Linux) PC rather than Internet Widgets so that's something to be holding off for. Having said that, it's very easy to get an old PC, load up Ubuntu and connect it to your TV and you have a full media server and lots of other possibilities.
championc is offline  
15-01-2012, 15:18   #19
joceadaigh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by championc View Post

However, it strikes me that the next best option in a TV is an embedded (Linux) PC rather than Internet Widgets so that's something to be holding off for. Having said that, it's very easy to get an old PC, load up Ubuntu and connect it to your TV and you have a full media server and lots of other possibilities.
Ye it's something a young family might be interested in but for the less tech savy it wouldn't be a priority.

A less expensive version of that Samsung sounds like the solution.
joceadaigh is offline  
15-01-2012, 19:16   #20
Finne1993
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Louth
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy C View Post
That link has text at the top of the article saying "This TV will not work with digital signals in the Republic of Ireland, you will require a digital set top box or satellite source"

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...s|16180235.htm

This one doesn't, so I presume that it will work with Saorview, and is a damn good bit cheaper too.
Don't mind that, they're just obliged to put that note in as no Panasonic TVs are Saorview approved even though Saorview works fine on all of their latest models.

The OP wanted a TV with Freesat and Saorview, the TV you've linked to only has Freeview HD. Granted, its an awful lot cheaper but useless for UK channels unless you're near the border or on the South East Coast.
Finne1993 is offline  
Advertisement
17-01-2012, 21:41   #21
moz1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cork
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhardman View Post
If anyone's interested, I picked up a Samsung UE46D8000 at the weekend for our lounge, beautiful telly. Specs say it has a DVB-T2 and -S2 tuner.

The interesting part is when you first plug it in, it asks you to select a country, UK or Ireland. If you select Ireland, it'll then do a network search on Air (Saorview) and Satellite, with selectable pre-programmed satellite channels built in. All the Saorview channels come in perfectly, along with all the FTA stuff available from 28.2E.

If you select UK, however, Freesat pops up as an option as well as Satellite... and magically it gives you the Freesat EPG as one option, and (UK)Freeview EPG on the Air setting. A quick renumbering of the Saorsat channels (which all appear in the 800s) and the TV now has full Freesat HD and Saorview... and a hard disc shoved in the back and it all records nicely.

Just thought you might like to know!
Interested in one of these myself, could you tell me if series link is available on the freesat channels from the EPG?
moz1 is offline  
17-01-2012, 23:27   #22
championc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz1 View Post
Interested in one of these myself, could you tell me if series link is available on the freesat channels from the EPG?
Is Series Link not a Sky thing only ?
championc is offline  
18-01-2012, 00:18   #23
wil
Registered User
 
wil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhardman View Post
If anyone's interested, I picked up a Samsung UE46D8000 at the weekend for our lounge, beautiful telly. Specs say it has a DVB-T2 and -S2 tuner.

The interesting part is when you first plug it in, it asks you to select a country, UK or Ireland. If you select Ireland, it'll then do a network search on Air (Saorview) and Satellite, with selectable pre-programmed satellite channels built in. All the Saorview channels come in perfectly, along with all the FTA stuff available from 28.2E.

If you select UK, however, Freesat pops up as an option as well as Satellite... and magically it gives you the Freesat EPG as one option, and (UK)Freeview EPG on the Air setting. A quick renumbering of the Saorsat channels (which all appear in the 800s) and the TV now has full Freesat HD and Saorview... and a hard disc shoved in the back and it all records nicely.

Just thought you might like to know!
I have a problem with the 7000, basically identical to the 8000 minus metallic surround and a few €
Cant seem to have both DTT and Sat channels listed in same favourites or channel list. Have to switch between sources (in tools) Air or Sat. contacted Samsung and they say it is not possible.
What you say seems to indicate otherwise, will have to play a bit more.

As for recording, USB keys wont work, needs a usb powered HDD min 5400rpm, 34mbs write.

A very pretty TV with a lot under the bonnet but not so sure about the Smart parts
wil is offline  
18-01-2012, 11:15   #24
Apogee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by championc View Post
Is Series Link not a Sky thing only ?
No, it's available in the UK on DTT (Freeview+) and additionally on satellite (Freesat+).
Apogee is offline  
Advertisement
18-01-2012, 11:47   #25
The Cush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Limerick, Mullaghanish Tx
Posts: 8,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil View Post
Cant seem to have both DTT and Sat channels listed in same favourites or channel list. Have to switch between sources (in tools) Air or Sat. contacted Samsung and they say it is not possible.
What you say seems to indicate otherwise, will have to play a bit more.
I have a similar Sony DTT/Sat TV, two separate tuners therefore two separate channle lists. If you could receive Saorview and the UK terrestrial service Freeview (same tuner) it would be possible to have them in the one list.
The Cush is offline  
18-01-2012, 13:59   #26
BionicRasher
Registered User
 
BionicRasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Middle and off please umpire
Posts: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by watty View Post
The combo TVs are niche market rip offs. It costs them maybe €20 extra.
Panasonic TXL42D25L
have this and it was far from a rip off being a lot cheaper than other 42 inch models such as basic Sony with only 1 tuner etc at the time of purchase. Works with DVB-T and S getting me Saorview and Freesat
BionicRasher is offline  
20-01-2012, 10:43   #27
PressTheButton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Moment
Posts: 278
'Rip Off'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tui0hcg View Post
Panasonic TXL42D25L
have this and it was far from a rip off being a lot cheaper than other 42 inch models such as basic Sony with only 1 tuner etc at the time of purchase. Works with DVB-T and S getting me Saorview and Freesat
The verb RIP OFF has 1 sense: 1. deprive somebody of something by deceit.
Panasonic state the TX-L42D25L is an 'Ireland Model' (as per your link) but it is not totally suitable for receiving Ireland's digital terrestrial television (DTT) service. Feel deceived?

There is a reason why the Panasonic TX-L42D25L could never be Saorview approved. It is not equipped with MHEG5 middleware. You are therefore deprived of some aspects of the Saorview service.

Quod erat demonstrandum.
PressTheButton is offline  
20-01-2012, 11:08   #28
BionicRasher
Registered User
 
BionicRasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Middle and off please umpire
Posts: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by PressTheButton View Post
The verb RIP OFF has 1 sense: 1. deprive somebody of something by deceit.
Panasonic state the TX-L42D25L is an 'Ireland Model' (as per your link) but it is not totally suitable for receiving Ireland's digital terrestrial television (DTT) service. Feel deceived?

There is a reason why the Panasonic TX-L42D25L could never be Saorview approved. It is not equipped with MHEG5 middleware. You are therefore deprived of some aspects of the Saorview service.

Quod erat demonstrandum.
The TV was never advertised or sold as Saorview compatible but yet it gets Saorview (bar the MHEG5) and it will do all I wanted it to do so therefore it is 'far from a rip off'

The phrase rip-off has a few explanations and the TV does not fall in to any of these for the price paid

rip-off(rpôf, -f)
n. Slang
1. A product or service that is overpriced or of poor quality.
2. Something, such as a film or story, that is clearly imitative of or based on something else.
3. A theft.
4. An act of exploitation.

Q.E.D

Last edited by BionicRasher; 20-01-2012 at 11:11.
BionicRasher is offline  
20-01-2012, 12:17   #29
STB
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,139
Regardless of all that there is number of reasons that non Saorview certified Panasonic products should not be pushed here.

Remember this is a thread about combo sat and dvb-t TVs. Panasonic have employed very strange interpretations of standards in their combo products so far, with incomplete firmware to diasble functionality outside the destined Country for DVB-T reception on combo products. This has been a valuable lesson for Irish people who have bought their products. Their support has been nothing short of dismissive to the Irish punter (there are countless threads - Panasonics support has been consistently - hard luck not meant for Ireland). They do not fix the problems.

In the case of the L model from late 2009/early 2010 there really is no excuse for not having MHEG5 included with the Irish profile in the software settings. Most manufacturers leave its use open (ie Samsung/Sony/LG). The min and basic spec has not changed since Feb 2008.

In the Panasonic products that have been hacked (because of the lack of easy firmware fixes) they still have problems with audio streams which require manual interaction everytime you change a channel.

Only a moron would suggest any model Panasonic for Saorview reception unless it is certified. Given that there never will be a Combo Freesat/Saorview certified product it would be a massive leap of faith to recommend one. Do not learn the hard way.

I dont sell TVs or work for any other manufacturer, I can only give you my and other peoples (bad) experiences of Panasonic suitability for non certified TVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tui0hcg View Post
The TV was never advertised or sold as Saorview compatible but yet it gets Saorview (bar the MHEG5) and it will do all I wanted it to do so therefore it is 'far from a rip off'

The phrase rip-off has a few explanations and the TV does not fall in to any of these for the price paid
Forget about certification for a second.

The minimum standards for basic reception of Saorview were openly published in Feb 2008. The basics.... MPEG4 AVC and MHEG5 (per Uk profile).

How come these setting couldnt be employed in Panasonic sets released until 2011 when the country setup is Ireland ? After all these L models are "Irish" models. Suitability ? How come the other manufacturers could get it right ? Would a firmware release be too much to ask for or do the sales figures not merit it?

Posters here have been talking about the specs on this very site since 2008. Its not as if all the manufacturers havent known. Wherent Panasonic were chairing the CEDA group for long enough ? Basic compatability for Ireland in pan european shipped TVs must have been a low priority.

Hopefully their products in the future will allow more interoperability between the UK and Ireland..

Last edited by STB; 20-01-2012 at 12:45.
STB is offline  
20-01-2012, 12:50   #30
BionicRasher
Registered User
 
BionicRasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Middle and off please umpire
Posts: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB View Post
Remember this is a thread about combo sat and dvb-t TVs.

My Panasonic TXL42D25L is such a TV - so not sure where you are going there as the OP asked for any TVs that had combo sat and dvb-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB View Post
Only a moron would suggest any model Panasonic for Saorview reception unless it is certified. Given that there never will be a Combo Freesat/Saorview certified product it would be a massive leap of faith to recommend one. Do not learn the hard way.
I take offence to you suggesting this as I am far from a moron. My TV will get Saorview presently but I am fully aware it may not always get Saorview if something drastic changes in the future and I am not recommending the OP buys one tomorrow but I do reccommend Panasonic as the TV is top class in picture quality and feature set. I am offering advice on a TV that has a combo set of receivers that the OP originally asked about

If the OP wants to get a Panasonic then surely its up to them and a case of buyer beware
BionicRasher is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet