Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 12:43   #166
Paul4As
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: All Over Ireland
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgileMyth View Post
Ah see the IFA never clarified this. So its ok to take players from other countries as long as they're not very good?
Maik Taylor was far from "not very good".
We didn't take him from any other country. I don't think any of the home nations were that keen on him.
Where did I say on this thread that the Republic taking James McClean was wrong...can you point me to the post???
I even wished the lad all the best for the future!
Your post has baffled me???
Paul4As is offline  
Advertisement
08-02-2012, 12:47   #167
Warper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,750
Lets just concentrate on James McClean and stop the NI v Irish buzz as we will get nowhere.
Warper is offline  
08-02-2012, 12:50   #168
Paul4As
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: All Over Ireland
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmalooka View Post
January 2011 when Niall McGinn and Paddy McCourt were sent bullets in the post.
Who were they sent bullets by? A Northern Ireland supporters club!
If an individual Man Utd supporter was to send a Liverpool player a bullet in the post...would that say anything overall about all 99.9999% of Man Utd supporters?...not really.
Thankfully McCourt and McGinn both continue to play for Northern Ireland...they both know that their efforts are appreciated by 99.9999% of the fans.
Paul4As is offline  
08-02-2012, 13:02   #169
bobbysands81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warper View Post
Lets just concentrate on James McClean and stop the NI v Irish buzz as we will get nowhere.
But the whole "NI v Irish buzz" is the crux of this thread mate.
bobbysands81 is offline  
08-02-2012, 13:07   #170
bobbysands81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro. F View Post
You recognise that Northern Ireland exists as some kind of entity yes? It's not in any way unreasonable for people, like Unionists for example, to call themselves Northern Irish as opposed to Irish. Technicalities are irrelevant when all the words used are complicated by history and association.

Saying that technically Northern Ireland is part of Ireland so they are technically Irish, even when that is clearly grinding someone's gears, is being a dick about it.

The Good Friday Agreement deals with the technicalities of passports and being British or Irish citizens or both. Common courtesy is what's required to deal with the more fuzzy areas like how people refer to themselves.
I think you're completely missing my point.

Ireland is an island that consists of two jurisdictions, the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Ireland does not equate to the Republic of Ireland but the entire island.

I fully agree with you regarding a unionists right to consider themselves Northern Irish, British whatever they want, that is their right.

However, that doesn't change the fact that if they were born on the geographical island known as Ireland that they could be termed Irish... and many of them consider themselves "Irish" in this sense. The Irish Football Association. The Grand Loyal Lodge of Ireland etc...

I fail to see how I'm being a "dick" or how I'm not showing "common courtesy".
bobbysands81 is offline  
Advertisement
08-02-2012, 13:12   #171
bobmalooka
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: location,location
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4As View Post
Who were they sent bullets by? A Northern Ireland supporters club!
If an individual Man Utd supporter was to send a Liverpool player a bullet in the post...would that say anything overall about all 99.9999% of Man Utd supporters?...not really.
Thankfully McCourt and McGinn both continue to play for Northern Ireland...they both know that their efforts are appreciated by 99.9999% of the fans.
Ok so if the abuse and threats are anonymous theres no problem then.

You can get into semantics all you like but there is a history of abuse and intimidation directed towards players from nationalist backgrounds.

Of course thats not reflective of all NI fans

Stamp it out and ye can have a team truely representative of all of Northern Ireland, a team which everyone north of the border can be proud to play for/support or continue to pretend there is no problem and drive a significant proportion of your players down south.

The proof is in the pudding.

Thats all I have to say about that.

Back on topic McClean will need to play to a high standard right untill the euros to have any chance of making the squad, Trap is rightly loyal to the players who give him everything but Hunts lack of form could open the door.
bobmalooka is offline  
08-02-2012, 13:42   #172
Coillte_Bhoy
Registered User
 
Coillte_Bhoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mayo
Posts: 4,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmalooka View Post
January 2011 when Niall McGinn and Paddy McCourt were sent bullets in the post.
I am well aware of that disgraceful incident but what i was really asking was when was there any such abuse directed at players in windsor park? See i despise that team, but i do recognize that huge improvements have been made in regard to treatment of players form the nationalist community at windsor park. it seems to me some people prefer to ignore this reality
Coillte_Bhoy is offline  
08-02-2012, 13:46   #173
Pro. F
Registered User
 
Pro. F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysands81 View Post
I think you're completely missing my point.

Ireland is an island that consists of two jurisdictions, the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Ireland does not equate to the Republic of Ireland but the entire island.

I fully agree with you regarding a unionists right to consider themselves Northern Irish, British whatever they want, that is their right.

However, that doesn't change the fact that if they were born on the geographical island known as Ireland that they could be termed Irish... and many of them consider themselves "Irish" in this sense. The Irish Football Association. The Grand Loyal Lodge of Ireland etc...

I fail to see how I'm being a "dick" or how I'm not showing "common courtesy".
Obviously I'm not missing your point. But you are arguing a geographical technicality with someone who clearly wants to self identify as Northern Irish rather than Irish. Arguing that technicality rather than just leaving him off, considering the context of the discussion, is extremely dickish behaviour.

And you're dead right about many Unionists considering themselves Irish in the way you describe, but many is not the same as all.
Pro. F is offline  
08-02-2012, 13:47   #174
Coillte_Bhoy
Registered User
 
Coillte_Bhoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mayo
Posts: 4,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4As View Post
I don't ignore any realities...happy with what I am.
Mayo is a class county with sound people.
Don't tar everyone with the same brush as you use on yourself regarding the loons comment!
Thankfully the people I encounter in Mayo have respect for blow-ins from Northern Ireland.
Yes i'm the only loon in Mayo. And why wouldn't we have respect for you? If following NI doesnt cause you enough suffering start following the mayo gaa team, then you'll know what real pain is.
Coillte_Bhoy is offline  
Advertisement
08-02-2012, 13:48   #175
bobbysands81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro. F View Post
Obviously I'm not missing your point. But you are arguing a geographical technicality with someone who clearly wants to self identify as Northern Irish rather than Irish. Arguing that technicality rather than just leaving him off, considering the context of the discussion, is extremely dickish behaviour.

And you're dead right about many Unionists considering themselves Irish in the way you describe, but many is not the same as all.
So basically I'm being a "dick" but you're agreeing with me.

Ok so...
bobbysands81 is offline  
08-02-2012, 13:59   #176
Pro. F
Registered User
 
Pro. F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysands81 View Post
So basically I'm being a "dick" but you're agreeing with me.

Ok so...
Having trouble following a simple discussion now? That's handy for you isn't it. Here's the recap for you so:

Arguing geographical technicalities with a fella because he wants to call himself Northern Irish rather than Irish - I think that's being a dick.

Stating that a lot of Unionists refer to themselves as Irish - I think that's true.
Pro. F is offline  
Thanks from:
08-02-2012, 15:18   #177
bobbysands81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro. F View Post
Having trouble following a simple discussion now? That's handy for you isn't it. Here's the recap for you so:

Arguing geographical technicalities with a fella because he wants to call himself Northern Irish rather than Irish - I think that's being a dick.

Stating that a lot of Unionists refer to themselves as Irish - I think that's true.
I have absolutely no problem with someone from the north referring to themselves as Northern Irish, it is their undisputable right.

However, this does not negate the fact they're born on the island of Ireland.

Finally, that's now three times that you've played the man and not the ball on this thread.
bobbysands81 is offline  
08-02-2012, 15:50   #178
EdenHazard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,212
How does a thread end up like this? Just talk about the player for **** sake
EdenHazard is offline  
Thanks from:
08-02-2012, 15:52   #179
Pro. F
Registered User
 
Pro. F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysands81 View Post
I have absolutely no problem with someone from the north referring to themselves as Northern Irish, it is their undisputable right.

However, this does not negate the fact they're born on the island of Ireland.

Finally, that's now three times that you've played the man and not the ball on this thread.
I am ''playing the man and not the ball'' by saying you are acting like a dick because you are acting like a dick. I could hardly say you are acting like a dick without referring to you.

Your continuing attempt to try and wriggle away from the argument is funny. Carry on.
Pro. F is offline  
08-02-2012, 16:20   #180
hungoverbunny
Registered User
 
hungoverbunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: galway
Posts: 1,055
these threads are always the worst. just ends up people bickering.

anywaaaaays. I think McCLean should be given a chance for Ireland since his performances for sunderland who are playing well at the moment have been good. Certainly hes standing out then most other irish players in the prem at the moment
hungoverbunny is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet