Pacquiao v Mayweather - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-01-2012, 12:49   #1
tryingmybestt

Pacquiao v Mayweather

WHat the hell is going on with this fight.....

First we thought it couldn't happen in May due to Mayweather going to jail and now that Mayweather has got his jail term postponed we hear that they are not looking at each other as opponents......Mayweather is looking at Guerrero and Alvarez and Pacquiao is looking at Bradley, Peterson,, Cotto etc.

Now Bob Arum is making excuses about the venue, saying Mayweather is contracted to fight in the MGM and that only holds 18000 and he wants a venue with much more....

I think Arum knows Mayweather will beat Pacman and he is trying to make as much money out of Pacman before he loses to Mayweather......I think Mayweather would dominate Pacman and win a wide points decision or possibly there is a small chance for Mayweather to wn by a late stoppage....

what do you think is going on and who do you think would win??
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-01-2012, 13:16   #2
cowzerp

Both want to make as much money before they meet, then mayweather will play with him then both will probably retire. I don't think anyone is ducking anyone there just delaying till timing suits
08-01-2012, 13:26   #3
tryingmybestt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowzerp View Post
Both want to make as much money before they meet, then mayweather will play with him then both will probably retire. I don't think anyone is ducking anyone there just delaying till timing suits
i don't think the fighters are ducking each other but i fell Arum's greed is getting in the way...Arum calls the shots not pacman and i don't think he wants the fight to happen yet.....

mayweather is 35 and pacman 33.......they are probably both past their peak already.....old age will affect pacman a lot more than mayweather because usually fighters that rely on intensity and volume punching burn out a lot sooner than more pure boxers like ali etc.....
08-01-2012, 19:27   #4
makl
Closed Account

roach interview

30 Seconds With Freddie Roach
With Freddie Roach
By JOE BRESCIA
Published: January 7, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/sp...ml?_r=1&src=tp

Tyson, De La Hoya, Pacquiao. Freddie Roach has worked with the best.

Roach was a successful lightweight, with a 40-13 record before he retired at 26; he later developed Parkinson’s disease. Roach, who was tutored by Eddie Futch, has guided 28 boxers to become world champions. He was inducted to the World Boxing Hall of Fame and was recently elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame. The United States Olympic Committee has partnered with Roach, 51, to train the leading amateurs at Roach’s Wild Card gym in Hollywood for the 2012 Games in London.

His life will be chronicled by the filmmaker Peter Berg in the HBO series “On Freddie Roach” beginning Jan. 20.

Q. You still do some light sparring and padded glove work when you work with the boxers. Are you concerned about exacerbating your Parkinson’s?

A. I’ve found that the hand and eye coordination is the best thing in the world for me. It’s funny, but once I get into the ring, the tremors go away and everything is O.K. And I don’t get hit in the head too often. Maybe once in a while.

Q. Has boxing done enough for the safety of the fighters?

A. I think so. It’s really hard to pinpoint where the problems are. Some of the tests can show progression where the symptoms are getting worse, and that’s the biggest thing out there. They do a brain stimulation test in England where they pull your license if you test poorly. There are steps in the right direction.

Q. Have you connected with Muhammad Ali, who also developed Parkinson’s?

A. Yes. I was invited to his fund-raiser. And he came out to my gym one day. The funny thing about it was, once he started to hit the heavy bag, his tremors went away and he was fine. But as soon as he stopped, the tremors came back. We both have that muscle memory to box. Just like when I’m in the ring working out, everything goes away.

Q. Your fighter Manny Pacquiao won a controversial decision against Juan Manuel Marquez in November to retain his welterweight title. What do you think about those who contend that Marquez won the bout?

A. It was very close and very competitive, and every time they fight it will be the same way. They know each other very well. Manny has trouble with that counterpunching style. That’s something that we’ve been working on for a long time. That gives him more trouble than a guy that will come to him.

Q. Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather has been put on hold again. After negotiations about blood testing seemed to be settled, last month Mayweather was sentenced to prison on charges of domestic violence and harassment. Will the fight ever happen?

A. Sometimes I think it will be forever up in the air. Everywhere I go, they want that fight to happen. And I want it as badly as anyone. Hopefully it will get made soon. Manny probably has four or five fights left in him and I’m sure Mayweather will be one of them.

Q. If Pacquiao and Mayweather do meet, what will your strategy be?

A. We do have trouble with the counterpunching style, and Floyd is a great counterpuncher. We have to go in with a good game plan. If one guy averages 85 punches a round and one guy averages 15 punches a round, I think the 85 will beat the 15. The thing is, Mayweather is very precise and very conservative with his punches. But he’s very accurate and he lands good shots. There’s no doubt it’s a tough fight. It’s a challenge and that’s why I like it. I like getting ready for challenges. And Mayweather is the biggest challenge for me and Manny.

Q. Whom will Pacquiao fight next?

A. I talked to Bob Arum (the Top Rank promoter) the other day, and the three names we’re looking at now are (Lamont) Peterson, (Timothy) Bradley and (Miguel) Cotto. I told Bob it doesn’t matter to me. We’ll fight anyone of those guys.

Q. In 2010, Pacquiao was elected to the Philippines Congress representing the province of Sarangani. He’s talked about running for governor in 2013. Do you think his political career can be a distraction to his training?

A. Being a congressman is one thing. But being the governor brings a lot more responsibility. I don’t think he could do both. He gets time off as a congressman, but a governor has to be more hands on. And he really wants to be good at politics. And for him to be good at politics, he’s going to have to put his whole life into it. I would say he would be close to retirement for him to be governor.

Q. How many fights do you think he has left?

A. The way our training camp went before the Marquez fight, I would say he had a long career ahead of him. We had a great training camp. But something was distracting him in that fight. I haven’t put my finger on it yet. We had a great camp, but we did not have a great performance in the fight. I have to give some credit to Marquez about that. But his focus was not there. It was the first time in 10 years we had a bad night. It was bad timing on our part.

Q. You trained Mike Tyson late in his career. What do you think happened to a fighter many experts thought would be the best heavyweight in history?

A. If you do something for a long enough time, anything can get old. I think he got tired of it. Inside of four rounds, he would knock you out. Outside of that, he would bow out.

Q. What has been the key to your success as a trainer?

A. The relationship and the trust I have with my fighters. They know I’m there for them 1,000 percent.

Q. What’s the most important aspect of training that Eddie Futch passed along to you?

A. You can’t change a fighter. You can’t make them something that they’re not. Once they get hit in the ring, they’re going to revert back to what they are. A boxer, a puncher — take what they have. Improve on the weak points. The strong points, they have down pretty much already.

Q. You’re a student of boxing history. Who are your top boxers, regardless of weight class?

A. I like Joe Louis. He was the best textbook fighter in the world. Then there’s Ali, who wasn’t a textbook fighter but probably would have beaten Joe Louis because of his natural ability. Julio César Chávez. And Ruben Olivares who I consider the best Mexican boxer in history. Salvador Sanchez who died tragically and shortened a great career. And Sugar Ray Robinson may have been better than anyone. There are no films of him fighting as a welterweight. But you can guess how good he was at that weight.

Q. You also work with Ultimate Fighting Championship competitors. How is the training different?

A. I’m training Georges St. Pierre, who is recovering from knee surgery now. I train these guys to use their hands because that’s all I know. If I can make them better fighters, I will. It’s not more complicated than that. A good fight’s a good fight.

Q. Who would win a fight between champions from both sports?

A. How long would Randy Couture last with James Toney in a boxing match? About the same as Toney would last in a mixed martial arts match. Boxers don’t know ground games and M.M.A. guys don’t know how to box.

Q. You’ve also trained actors and other athletes, including Mickey Rourke, who tried boxing as a career; Shaquille O’Neal; and Mark Wahlberg, for movie and television roles. Which celebrity had the most potential to succeed in boxing?

A. I’ve been making some noise about Wahlberg and Mario Lopez fighting each other. They both train in my gym. They’re both very good. Mario has fought six exhibition fights in my gym. He’s 6-0 with six knockouts. He trains everyday, just like a fighter. Wahlberg has his own gym. I would like to get them together for a charity bout. That would be fun.
Thanks from:
08-01-2012, 22:23   #5
gene_tunney

Couldn't care less.

I will only discuss this fight if it's confirmed.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-01-2012, 12:41   #6
Gintonious

We'll never see this fight happen.
09-01-2012, 13:07   #7
walshb

I don't care if they don't meet now. Both are not at their best anyway. At least 12 months past its date.
Thanks from:
09-01-2012, 13:14   #8
colly10

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshb View Post
I don't care if they don't meet now. Both are not at their best anyway. At least 12 months past its date.
The fight should have happened in 09, whatever happens if they fight won't represent the fight as it could have been and we won't see the best of either men. This fight in my mind would have been one of the greatest in the history of the sport, now I dont care if it happens or not
Thanks from:
09-01-2012, 14:31   #9
HovaBaby

It's Bob Arum who is causing the delay. As was said on ESPN, Arum can make 25 million for every Pacquiao fight against (compared to Floyd) easy opponents. If Money-Pacman was to happen Arum would have to pay out a huge advance to both respective properties.

There are figures of 50-60 million each for Manny and Floyd. I still think it'll be done. 33 isn't too old for Pacquiao. If Mayweather is lucky he could still be just below his prime at age 35, ala Lennox Lewis, both Klitschko's. IMO he is better in some areas at this age cos of experience and learning.
Advertisement
09-01-2012, 14:39   #10
walshb

Well, if Arum is stalling because he wants to "protect" his cash cow, he could really trip up. He should make the fight now and get the big big pay, as opposed to risking Manny in other fights for a whole lot less. The fight is already getting real stale.

And, how greedy are some people? I mean, Arum is a very wealthy man, is he really that ****ing greedy in wanting to "protect and bleed" Manny dry?

There has to surely be other reasons apart from pure cash for the delay.
09-01-2012, 15:02   #11
cowzerp

Quote:
And, how greedy are some people? I mean, Arum is a very wealthy man, is he really that ****ing greedy in wanting to "protect and bleed" Manny dry?
There greed knows no bounds.

Arum has made a big mistake and after Manny's last fight this fight is less intriquing, it would have been the biggest money fight in history without a doubt, probably still will be but not to the degree it would have been, in saying that all they have to do is keep feeding fighters who suit Manny's style, then dehydrate them so he has to win

he knows if they do this 3 times and both are still winning this fight will still make mega money at a time in there career when there earning power is almost done

I genuinely believe Roach knows Manny cant beat Mayweather and this has been aimed at been a farewell fight and big pay day with nothing to lose as he wont be fighting again anyway and if they had done it 4 fights ago the earning potential would be more like Marquez is now, ok but not earth shattering..
09-01-2012, 15:08   #12
walshb

Paul, I have went over it many times and still do not see a clear win for either man. Manny is that good that if he wanted to, he could make the fight close just so to make it close. Floyd is not really a man for taking the fight by the scruff and going all out.

Manny does not have to be gung ho here and play into Floyd's trap. Manny has legs, speedy legs, and is also a very clever and tactical fighter when he chooses. Floyd is NOT going to show up, and simply steamroll this fight, and nor is Manny. So, what is the issue with BOTH camps? It's bizarre.
09-01-2012, 15:16   #13
cowzerp

Quote:
Paul, I have went over it many times and still do not see a clear win for either man. Manny is that good that if he wanted to, he could make the fight close just so to make it close. Floyd is not really a man for taking the fight by the scruff and going all out.

Manny does not have to be gung ho here and play into Floyd's trap. Manny has legs, speedy legs, and is also a very clever and tactical fighter when he chooses. Floyd is NOT going to show up, and simply steamroll this fight, and nor is Manny. So, what is the issue with BOTH camps? It's bizarre.
I don't think he'll steam roll him, I think he will play with and embarrass him either causing mid to late stoppage or big points win.

Marquez is half the boxer floyd is and Manny struggles bad with him, Mayweather is bigger faster and technically better aswell as been harder to hit.
09-01-2012, 15:22   #14
walshb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowzerp View Post
I don't think he'll steam roll him, I think he will play with and embarrass him either causing mid to late stoppage or big points win.

Marquez is half the boxer floyd is and Manny struggles bad with him, Mayweather is bigger faster and technically better aswell as been harder to hit.

But, I do not believe that using JMM as some barometer as to why Floyd embarrasses Manny is all that safe. JMM is more an attacking counter punching fighter. I think Floyd would need to be more on the back foot to win. He forces the pace and is in range, and Manny can do well.

I believe Floyd wins, but think it's intriguing and close. If Floyd dominated I would be surprised, not shocked. If Manny won on points I wouldn't be surprised. If he dominated Floyd I would be in complete shock.

Floyd has strength and size advantage, these two areas are going to be key for Floyd.

Last edited by walshb; 09-01-2012 at 15:26.
09-01-2012, 15:29   #15
HovaBaby

Quote:
But, I do not believe that using JMM as some barometer as to why Floyd embarrasses Manny is all that safe. JMM is more an attacking counter punching fighter. I think Floyd would need to be more on the back foot to win. He forces the pace and is in range, and Manny can do well.

I believe Floyd wins, but think it's intriguing and close. If Floyd dominated I would be surprised, not shocked. If Manny won on points I wouldn't be surprised. If he dominated Floyd I would be in complete shock.

Floyd has strength and size advantage, these two areas are going to be key for Floyd.
What about if Manny KO'd Floyd in round 1?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion