Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sound-proofing attic floor

Options
  • 04-01-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We got the attic converted some time ago, now with expanding family we need to move guest bedroom upstairs.

The attic is completed to a good standard, but before finishing it - I recall seeing something on Duncan Stewart's tv program.
    It was some kinda of cork (I think) material in a roll, that you roll out over the primary floorboards (almost like an underlay), before putting another flooring on top, be it wooden floor or carpet etc?

Do you know what this material is?

What would you recommend to this kinda of job? Hopefully cheap?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭SC024

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tippman3

SCO24 Would you pm me please with that also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

tippman3 wrote: »
    SCO24 Would you pm me please with that also
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

And again if you dont mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭SC024

3 pms sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Sorry for hounding you but could you pm me the same as above please.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Another one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

SC024

I'd be interested in what you are suggesting but wouldnt it be better for all if you just posted to the thread rather than PMs

Thanks in advance

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I used Regupol a few years ago. It comes in rolls about 1.5 wide and maybe 15 to 20m long.
    There are various thicknesses and it can even be tiled over I believe. It made of cork & rubber.

mickdw wrote: »
    I used Regupol a few years ago. It comes in rolls about 1.5 wide and maybe 15 to 20m long.
    There are various thicknesses and it can even be tiled over I believe. It made of cork & rubber.

Thanks,

This link shows 4 types of regupol.

I wonder which type comes into Ireland?

W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

sco24,
    could I get that pm too please!!

mickdw wrote: »

Mick,

did you have to glue it down as per some of the instructions I've seen online?

Thanks
    W.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

Check out Acoustilay from www.soundreduction.co.uk (contact them for Irish supplier).

Not cheap but very easy to install and minimal works required to doors.

Or if you are taking up existing sub-floor you can get foam strips that adhere to the timber joists (usually available in most building suppliers).

Both of the above will help with impact noises like walking & bass from music. But they are not that effective for airborne sound like voices.

Vandy West wrote: »
    Check out Acoustilay from www.soundreduction.co.uk (contact them for Irish supplier).

Not cheap but very easy to install and minimal works required to doors.

Or if you are taking up existing sub-floor you can get foam strips that adhere to the timber joists (usually available in most building suppliers).

Both of the above will help with impact noises like walking & bass from music. But they are not that effective for airborne sound like voices.

Thanks for that. From reading the brochure, the minimum thickness is 10mm. The floor has currently been raised about 5mm due to the gypsum system and lets say I get a laminate of between 8-10mm, the overall increase would be between 23mm-25mm, getting on the high side wrt the door/saddleboard.

Regupol comes in 3mm thickness so might suit my needs better.

W.

The acoustilay is like a beefed up version of the regupol. The acoustilay 15mm has two layers of 3mm rubber sandwiched around a material similar to the regupol.

If cost is your main concern the regupol would most likely be cheaper.

You could probably take the extra depth required from the bottom rail of your door without it being obvious, and that way you wouldn't have to re-hinge the door. If your getting a chippie in for laying the floor they could advise you or if your handy with the planer you could give it a go. But you would have to relay the saddleboard and possibly fiddle with the door stop and architrave.

Thanks,

I'm putting in the "top-side" of this system and am just looking at what extra I can do NOW before putting down the finishes (ie laminate floor as its a kids room so no carpet).

I'm replacing the pulled up floor boards with ply and thus the laminate floor as a finish. I think even with the 10mm layer and the new floor its bringing it up over the 20mm above a normal saddleboard?? Its not really the cost but the additional height. The external landing side of the bedroom doors hasnt been altered.

Thanks

W.

Thanks,

I'm putting in the "top-side" of this system and am just looking at what extra I can do NOW before putting down the finishes (ie laminate floor as its a kids room so no carpet).

I'm replacing the pulled up floor boards with ply and thus the laminate floor as a finish. I think even with the 10mm layer and the new floor its bringing it up over the 20mm above a normal saddleboard?? Its not really the cost but the additional height. The external landing side of the bedroom doors hasnt been altered.

Thanks

W.

If your coming up above the saddleboard in the room being refurbished, you could take it up and put it back down on the new higher level. Infill the gap between the saddleboard and the low (landing) side with some timber. Or get a thicker saddleboard and plane down the thickness in the higher room side. The greater the difference in levels the more noticeable it will be. Hope this helps.

Advertisement