The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-01-2012, 17:55   #31
January

Send a message via AIM to January Send a message via MSN to January Send a message via Yahoo to January
Nope, what type of wipes are you using? Is the baby getting a rash from the wipes at all?
Advertisement
06-01-2012, 18:11   #32
galah

nope, baby is grand, not a red patch in sight. we've been using the Johnsons ones (fragrance free, the pink ones) - it happens with those and with the Lidl ones, but not with the Huggies pure ones (or so I think, havent used the Huggies ones for too long to figure them out). Very weird, it's just rough red patches on our knuckles...
06-01-2012, 18:16   #33
January

Send a message via AIM to January Send a message via MSN to January Send a message via Yahoo to January
I can't use the Johnsons wipes on the girls, gives them terrible rashes... I only ever use the Huggies Pure (the cream ones) now.
(2) thanks from:
06-01-2012, 18:55   #34
implausible

Quote:
Originally Posted by galah View Post
cheers all for the 'driving' input. i'll ring my insurance next week, and will ask for confirmation in writing. if it turns out that i would have been ok though, i might just cry....(i know, i should have called them earlier...my own fault. the gp did say i couldnt drive, but colulndt give me a proper reason...)
I rang my crowd after my section and they said there was no issue six weeks or otherwise. However, to be on the safe side, I asked my GP for a letter saying I was ok. It was no bother and luckily, he didn't ask how I got to the surgery
06-01-2012, 19:23   #35
Hotblack Desiato

Quote:
the gp did say i couldnt drive, but colulndt give me a proper reason...
Well if you have medical advice saying you shouldn't drive, that's different - though if there is a good reason for it (not just force of habit) they should be able to tell you why. Maybe you could ask the maternity hospital / midwife for their opinion?
Advertisement
06-01-2012, 22:11   #36
cbyrd

Quote:
nope, baby is grand, not a red patch in sight. we've been using the Johnsons ones (fragrance free, the pink ones) - it happens with those and with the Lidl ones, but not with the Huggies pure ones (or so I think, havent used the Huggies ones for too long to figure them out). Very weird, it's just rough red patches on our knuckles...
I got this from washing my hands so often with new baby germ fear got myself the aveeno hand cream and haven't looked back.. have to remember not to rub the soap on the backs of my hands when i'm washing.. it's the detergent that does it to me
06-01-2012, 22:40   #37
How Strange

I only use Huggies pure wipes too. I'd use the water wipes except they're too expensive. I find the Johnson ones and most other wipes for that matter very chemically. Also while the johnsons ones seem a lot cheaper than Huggies, the Huggies last for ages as you only use 2 or 3 at a time. Once or twice I've had to buy a cheaper brand and I've used the packet much quicker. That's just an aside comment and not really related to the original post.
Thanks from:
06-01-2012, 23:25   #38
caprilicious

I agree How Strange, I find I go through the Johnsons ones a hell of a lot faster than then Huggies the rare time I use them.
They don't give me a rash, but they do leave my hands stinging a little after using them or worse if I use it to remove my makeup with.
The huggies pure one's are great though, touch wood no sign of a rash on my daughter since changing to them

Great bargains in Dunnes for anyone needing to stock up on clothes for baby/newborn. I picked up a few nice pieces for my little lady today.
Be sure to check the label on the clothes though rather than the one on the coathanger as I did. Ended up buying two things I need to return tomorrow that had 2-3 on the hanger and completely different sizes on the item itself. Serves me right not checking them properly!
06-01-2012, 23:29   #39
January

caprilicious, are you finding out the sex on this baby? Do you know yet?! You found out on R didn't you? I remember you posting a photo of her wardrobe stuffed with pink even before she was born haha
Advertisement
06-01-2012, 23:32   #40
caprilicious

lol yep definitely going to (try!) find out the sex. My next appointment is Jan 16th, I'm not 100% sure if I'm even getting a scan then, fingers crossed I will though and will be asking if I can find out the sex then.

One of the trousers I bought for R was 9-12 months instead of her size and a bit of me thought I may as well hang onto them in case this baba is a girl, but I don't want to put a jinx on things either way
07-01-2012, 08:56   #41
The_Conductor
Dinosaur Train!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbyrd View Post
I got this from washing my hands so often with new baby germ fear got myself the aveeno hand cream and haven't looked back.. have to remember not to rub the soap on the backs of my hands when i'm washing.. it's the detergent that does it to me
I really think this is the knux of it.
I don't change as many nappies as my wife (aside from all of them at weekends) for our two and evenings when I get home from work. Yet- if I close my hands at all- my knuckles start bleeding as do my finger joints. I've tried over 10 different liquid soaps to no avail. I find the Neutrogena helps- though I look like something out of a horror film a lot of the time as I have problems stopping the bleeding when my knuckles crack (I'm on warfarin). The surface of my hands are like they've been sand-blasted, really bizzare......

If anyone has any suggestions regarding a soap that doesn't rip the skin off your hands- please post suggestions......... Already tried Carex, Radox, Dove, Johnsons, Baylis, Kleenex, Crabtree, Molton Brown- I could go on and on........

Ps- something at a reasonable price would be nice- I love Molton Brown- but the price will give me a heart attack some day

As for wipes- we've tried 4 or 5 different ones- some scented, some without scent, some with Aloe Vera, some without........ The Johnson ones dried out in a couple of hours if the pack was left slightly open. The Pampers ones were the best value (when they're on special)- and we have a really funny experience of the huggies aloe vera ones- both kids love chewing them. One attribute that the Huggies ones have that I hate- is its almost impossible to take one single one out per time- you end up with 5 or 6- when you're up to your wrists in Bepathen in one hand, a new nappy, a nappy bag and clothes in the other- and trying to control a wriggling baby- you really don't need the hassle of trying to separate the wipes too. That said- they are excellent, and they kids haven't actually swallowed them- though its so funny watching them struggle to get into the pack of wipes........
07-01-2012, 13:08   #42
Oral Slang

Tesco wipes are great, I really like them. That said I haven't had them in a while, as my friend gave me loads of Sainsbury's wipes & cotton wool, so haven't had to buy some in ages. Great present imo.

Little one is 12 weeks on Tuesday & sleeping 7 / 8 hours every night, so delighted with her. Just wish she'd go to sleep before 1am!!! I'm wrecked every night trying to get her to go earlier, but her time clock seems to be set.

Yeah caprilicious, got a load of 6-9 & 9-12 months clothes for my little one in Dunnes. Most of the presents we got were 0-3 & 3-6, so will need stuff until her birthday next year.
Thanks from:
07-01-2012, 15:35   #43
lynski

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarrick View Post
If anyone has any suggestions regarding a soap that doesn't rip the skin off your hands- please post suggestions......... Already tried Carex, Radox, Dove, Johnsons, Baylis, Kleenex, Crabtree, Molton Brown- I could go on and on........

Ps- something at a reasonable price would be nice- I love Molton Brown- but the price will give me a heart attack some day

I find the lidl liq soap less drying to most, but i always water down any soap i use 30 to 40 % as they are mostly so drying. lidl also have a bodywash cien i think is the brand with a high urea content - not sure what it is but rocheposey boast about it too so it does something for dry skin - it is brilliant. use it or the children - all 3 - as body wash anything else, baring expensive brand like weleda or organic baby, leaves them completely dry
However the ONLY way to avoid dry hands in my house is to use a natural glycerol based soap - bought some great ones at Naas farmers market
- the difference is amazing.
(2) thanks from:
07-01-2012, 15:39   #44
Lola92

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarrick View Post
Have you tried La Roche Posay? Their Lipikar range is brilliant for very dry skin and eczema too. It isn't cheap (about €14/15 I think) but it really does last ages. I use their moisturisers and only buy maybe 3 times a year.
Thanks from:
07-01-2012, 16:29   #45
The_Conductor
Dinosaur Train!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola92 View Post
Have you tried La Roche Posay? Their Lipikar range is brilliant for very dry skin and eczema too. It isn't cheap (about €14/15 I think) but it really does last ages. I use their moisturisers and only buy maybe 3 times a year.
I think I must be getting old- I've never had to use hand or facial moisturisers before in my life- now my skin is falling to bits...... Will give the Lidl option a try and see how it fares, then if that doesn't work- I'll move onto the La Roche Posay. At the moment the only thing that works is a tube of Neutrogena a week- on both hands and face......... Sigh..........

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion