I want to fly to California (San Francisco or San Diego) in January. Then buy a motorbike there and do a road trip for 2 or 3 months through Mexico, Central America and how far I can get.
I would then sell the bike off whereever I fly out from to come back to Europe.
I'm looking for advice on a few things:
1. Insurance: I would need to insure the bike I buy over there. Would I get insurance with an American company or from an insurer in Ireland? I don't have a policy in Ireland at the moment.
2. Bike registration: Registering bike in my name. Easy process?
3. I'm on a restricted license! I only passed my road test last year so I technically/legally can only drive a bike with power up to 33kW. How closely I stick to that is questionable. Of course I can do it on a not-powerful bike but bigger would be better. My guess is I wouldn't get into trouble unless if I had an accident.
4. Would you bring a small tent or is finding accomodation cheap and easy once into Mexico and farther south.
5. Buy the motorbike in SF or San Diego - much of a muchness?
6. Paperwork. Do I need anything more than my license, insurance, registration, my passport?
7. Insert other questions I should be asking here ______________ .
Thanks for reading and for any helpful advice you can offer! My other option is doing it on a bicycle.