Jobsbridge, Internships, and how the Scheme could be improved. - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-04-2012, 14:46   #16
Boofle

Jobbridge intern covering Maternity leave. . . . .

I am about to begin an internship in a company but this isn't a true 'internship'. . . I am going to be trained up and then the woman who is training me is going on maternity leave! I considered not taking the internship when I was introduced to the lady who I will be replacing and realised she was about 8 months pregnant!

I deliberated about whether or not to take up this 'internship' but I have decided that although the company is being ridiculously greedy and actually going against everything Jobbridge is supposed to be about - I will get 6 months experience out of it and I am going crazy not working.

I agree with other posters that the employers could at least pay the paltry €50 to the intern! And in any case €50 isn't going to go very far -once I have paid for transport to and from work, lunches, work clothes etc - just the regular costs of working.
Advertisement
22-04-2012, 16:57   #17
nowayjosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofle View Post
I am about to begin an internship in a company but this isn't a true 'internship'. . . I am going to be trained up and then the woman who is training me is going on maternity leave! I considered not taking the internship when I was introduced to the lady who I will be replacing and realised she was about 8 months pregnant!

I deliberated about whether or not to take up this 'internship' but I have decided that although the company is being ridiculously greedy and actually going against everything Jobbridge is supposed to be about - I will get 6 months experience out of it and I am going crazy not working.

I agree with other posters that the employers could at least pay the paltry €50 to the intern! And in any case €50 isn't going to go very far -once I have paid for transport to and from work, lunches, work clothes etc - just the regular costs of working.
When she goes on maternity leave is there someone there to mentor you? if not then they really need to be reported. I know your probably cracking up with having no work - and you will get 6 months experience but the whole concept is wrong, the idea behind it was from what I gather you get mentored right through and well and good if there is a chance to be taken on full time with a wage - but in your case like so many there is a vacancy. This is wrong.
22-04-2012, 21:38   #18
Boofle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowayjosie View Post
When she goes on maternity leave is there someone there to mentor you? if not then they really need to be reported. I know your probably cracking up with having no work - and you will get 6 months experience but the whole concept is wrong, the idea behind it was from what I gather you get mentored right through and well and good if there is a chance to be taken on full time with a wage - but in your case like so many there is a vacancy. This is wrong.
There will be nobody mentoring me once she goes on maternity leave. The manager who was showing me around last week and explaining what the internship would entail told me that I would be sitting in a chair beside her desk for the next couple of weeks and once she is gone I will be moving into her chair!! He thought it was great altogether when he was pointing at the chair!

Yes, definitely the entire concept is entirely wrong; this is an actual vacancy that should have been advertised. But sure why would an employer bother paying someone for 6 months when he can just ring up FAS and get a free employee!
22-04-2012, 22:38   #19
ABajaninCork

I've commented on other threads about Jobbridge. Personally, I think the Govt have dropped the ball on this one. In principle, I think Jobbridge could be an excellent opportunity to learn new skills and expand on existing ones.

But I think the system is WIDE open to abuse. I've seen internships for positions like Forecourt Attendants and Chambermaids in hotels which are clearly not. But there are also some great ones which DO stretch the individuals and have even led to permanent employment.

I've reported several ads which appear to abuse the system and am awaiting a response from Welfare. I've also raised the matter with my local TD's. I have to say only one has responded stating that she has raised the matter with Joan Burton. I have yet to receive a response to that too.

I feel several questions need to be answered:

• Was there a benchmarking exercise carried out to determine what the criteria should be for an internship?
• What quality checks are carried out to ensure the system is not abused? (i.e. the position offered is indeed an internship with a real opportunity to learn and train, and not a ‘cheap labour’ role.)
• What sanctions (if any) are taken against employers who are shown to abuse the system?
• Could prospective interns be discriminated against on grounds of age for example?
• How is the success of the employee measured? Is this recorded?
• Are there any statistics showing the number/percentage of people who have been successful in obtaining permanent employment following the successful completion of an internship?

I have the awful feeling that I may never get a reply. But I am determined to keep raising the issue. This needs to be addressed in a respectful and constructive way rather than going on a rant which could be counterproductive.
23-04-2012, 00:06   #20
nowayjosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABajaninCork View Post
I've commented on other threads about Jobbridge. Personally, I think the Govt have dropped the ball on this one. In principle, I think Jobbridge could be an excellent opportunity to learn new skills and expand on existing ones.

But I think the system is WIDE open to abuse. I've seen internships for positions like Forecourt Attendants and Chambermaids in hotels which are clearly not. But there are also some great ones which DO stretch the individuals and have even led to permanent employment.

I've reported several ads which appear to abuse the system and am awaiting a response from Welfare. I've also raised the matter with my local TD's. I have to say only one has responded stating that she has raised the matter with Joan Burton. I have yet to receive a response to that too.

• Was there a benchmarking exercise carried out to determine what the criteria should be for an internship?
• What quality checks are carried out to ensure the system is not abused? (i.e. the position offered is indeed an internship with a real opportunity to learn and train, and not a ‘cheap labour’ role.)
• What sanctions (if any) are taken against employers who are shown to abuse the system?
• Could prospective interns be discriminated against on grounds of age for example?
• Are there any statistics showing the number/percentage of people who have been successful in obtaining permanent employment following the successful completion of an internship?

I have the awful feeling that I may never get a reply. But I am determined to keep raising the issue. This needs to be addressed in a respectful and constructive way rather than going on a rant which could be counterproductive.
Are you based in Clonmel????

Last edited by Mrs OBumble; 24-04-2012 at 13:01. Reason: quote fixup
Advertisement
23-04-2012, 00:08   #21
nowayjosie

[QUOTE=nowayjosie;78279429]
Quote:

I have the awful feeling that I may never get a reply. But I am determined to keep raising the issue. This needs to be addressed in a respectful and constructive way rather than going on a rant which could be counterproductive.[/QUO

Are you based in Clonmel????????????????
23-04-2012, 00:16   #22
ABajaninCork

[QUOTE=nowayjosie;78279436]
Quote:

Are you based in Clonmel????????????????
The username should give you a clue....
23-04-2012, 01:02   #23
nowayjosie

[QUOTE=ABajaninCork;78279560]
Quote:

Oh ok - You would use user names as a clue as to where people are based! ok lets see now my user name is nowayjosie so I suppose you can tell where I'm from and the poster " Boofle" is from???? Co. Boofle?? Look never mind I'd an interest in your post up to now.

Last edited by nowayjosie; 23-04-2012 at 07:24.
23-04-2012, 17:09   #24
ABajaninCork

[QUOTE=nowayjosie;78280037]
Quote:

Oh ok - You would use user names as a clue as to where people are based! ok lets see now my user name is nowayjosie so I suppose you can tell where I'm from and the poster " Boofle" is from???? Co. Boofle?? Look never mind I'd an interest in your post up to now.
I'll break it down for you. A...Bajan...in...CORK.... Got it??
Advertisement
23-04-2012, 17:24   #25
frag420

City or county??
23-04-2012, 18:30   #26
AnnyHallsal

I saw an internship for a "market research trainee" (ie Telesales) in Call Text Solutions in Rathmines today. I feel sorry for that individual. The company has a bad reputation for how it treats employees.
Thanks from:
23-04-2012, 18:49   #27
ABajaninCork

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag420 View Post
City or county??
City, Boyyyy!
Thanks from:
25-04-2012, 00:24   #28
nowayjosie

[QUOTE=ABajaninCork;78279560]
Quote:

Ok brilliant - now what steps have you taken to find out some of the answers to the questions you have about this?????????
25-04-2012, 09:47   #29
ABajaninCork

[QUOTE=nowayjosie;78320276]
Quote:

Ok brilliant - now what steps have you taken to find out some of the answers to the questions you have about this?????????
Why don't you READ and UNDERSTAND what I've previously written? Or is that too much trouble???
25-04-2012, 19:00   #30
nowayjosie

[QUOTE=ABajaninCork;78323158]
Quote:

Why don't you READ and UNDERSTAND what I've previously written? Or is that too much trouble???
I have read your post - according to you - your still waiting on answers - SO I asked you what steps have you taken in getting these ignored questions answered? You also said "I have the awful feeling that I may never get a reply. But I am determined to keep raising the issue. This needs to be addressed in a respectful and constructive way rather than going on a rant which could be counterproductive" So I just wondered what steps you have taken to get this questions answered - I thought that was a valid question because I have a genuine interest in what you are saying and I agree with you. You were very rude to me in an earlier post - and I ignored it and continued to read the posts on this - including your post with interest - but I find you very rude to communicate. I apologise if I have annoyed you but to be honest I think you could take a leaf out of your own book as the saying goes "respectful and constructive" are two words you used - maybe you should apply them to how you communicate with people who have an interest in what you are saying. The best of luck in your search for answers - I think myself that people are being used and I hope people cop on to this and stop applying for these - as far as I am aware they are not compulsory, but I have heard they may be made compulsory in the future for the longterm unemployed.

Last edited by nowayjosie; 25-04-2012 at 19:15.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion