Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Complete HomeBrew Noob.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Been a week now & still no real evidence of fermentation - just that layer of dark brown sludge on top. Under that layer is what looks like, light brown icicle shaped sediment hanging/dropping from the layer.

Lost cause?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Has the gravity changed?

Yep, just took a reading there, down to 1.006.

Suppose that's evidence something is happening, just that there was no foam was cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Hi guys. I started a wheat beer kit the other day but used white labs liquid hefe yeast instead of the packet. I forgot to let the yeaat warm up and pitched pretty much straight from the fridge...other than that everything went fine. I smelt it today and its pretty stinky. Kind of rotten egg smell.
    Anyone experienced this before?

• Advertisement

Yes. It'll pass.

Fairly sure I mentoned this to you before. Ah yes, here we go. That.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Yeah ok, fair enough. I'd say this smells more than a bit though which is why I asked. Really rotten smell off it, kind of sour but eggy at the same time. Just wondered if this is normal for a weisse yeast as it actually smells disgusting or if the smell indicates infection. I'm going to bottle it anyway but it would put me off doing a weisse again if this is normal for that type of yeast.

On the subject of infection, would there be typical 'symptoms' one would look out for?

Beer that tastes awful would be the main one.

Hehe, thought that alright BeerNut.
    Are there any 'in process' signs of a brew being infected or is it always something you only discover at the end?

• Advertisement

Yes, a spindly web-like formation on the top is one of the signs.

But not all infections would ruin a beer. Unless it tastes absolutely vile I'd be inclined to let the process run through and see how the finished product tastes. But thankfully it's never happened to me, yet.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yes, a spindly web-like formation on the top is one of the signs.

But not all infections would ruin a beer. Unless it tastes absolutely vile I'd be inclined to let the process run through and see how the finished product tastes. But thankfully it's never happened to me, yet.

Yeah, I'm not overly confident about the ginger beer I have on the go, but I'll leave it & see how it goes.
    The few kits I have done before, the majority of sediment at this stage would have fallen to the bottom. This one still has this layer of icicle like sediment hanging from the top layer of scum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ok, I'm firing up a "proper" brew tonight. 30L or so. I have a few questions because my Finlandia instructions came in....you guessed it....Finnish.

I want to filter the water through my brita. It removes the chlorine flavour. I presume that's fine?

Do I need to pour the water in gently to reduce the possible oxidation?

When adding in the dextrose, should I just add it into some warmed water, stir gently until it dissolves, then add that into the brew bucket?

Should I fill the bubbler with some sterilising fluid (of the water + bleach + vinegar variety) to reduce the chances of any infection?

Anything else you think I need to know would be nice, please and thank you.

Khannie wrote: »
    I want to filter the water through my brita. It removes the chlorine flavour. I presume that's fine?
    Yep.
    The total opposite: you want as much oxygen in there as possible to get the yeast going. It's only after you've added the yeast that oxygen is bad.
    When adding in the dextrose, should I just add it into some warmed water, stir gently until it dissolves, then add that into the brew bucket?
    I'd boil it to sanitise and then throw it in.
    Should I fill the bubbler with some sterilising fluid (of the water + bleach + vinegar variety) to reduce the chances of any infection?
    You can. I wouldn't bother with an airlock at all, though. Keep the bucket cover loosely and that's all you need.
    If you haven't already, read this kit brewing guide, and if you've any questions come back to us.

Good luck!

(30L out of one Finlandia kit, btw? Are you sure you've got your numbers right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Ok, I'm firing up a "proper" brew tonight. 30L or so. I have a few questions because my Finlandia instructions came in....you guessed it....Finnish.

Filtering your water is fine, never done it myself but I couldn't imagine any issues with it.

I'd boil my dextrose in 4 litres of water for a 21-23 litre batch and usually topping up with fermentor with tap water will bring the temperature down to around 21-22 degrees which is when I pitch my yeast. So maybe put in 5 litres of boiling water if you wanted to top up with water to 30l?

As far as I know, there is no issue with oxidation until fermentation has started, in fact, in most cases getting as much air into your brew before pitching the yeast is encouraged. So I'd just lash everything into the fermentor!

I never use an air-lock as it's unneccesary I think but putting in something like starsan wouldn't be bad if you really wanted to use it. getting the bleach/vinegar measure right in such a small amont of liquid might be troublesome. If it was me I'd just leave the top of the fermentor loose enough for gas to escape and just cover the bung-hole with some clingfilm.

EDIT: Pretty much everything that beernut said! Quite happy with myself that I said what he said!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Regarding the Brita removing the chlorine, I've heard that simply leaving it out over night lets the chlorine degas out of the fluid, if this is right, it'd be a much cheaper way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Blackjack

leggit wrote: »
    Filtering your water is fine, never done it myself but I couldn't imagine any issues with it.

I'd boil my dextrose in 4 litres of water for a 21-23 litre batch and usually topping up with fermentor with tap water will bring the temperature down to around 21-22 degrees which is when I pitch my yeast. So maybe put in 5 litres of boiling water if you wanted to top up with water to 30l?

As far as I know, there is no issue with oxidation until fermentation has started, in fact, in most cases getting as much air into your brew before pitching the yeast is encouraged. So I'd just lash everything into the fermentor!

I never use an air-lock as it's unneccesary I think but putting in something like starsan wouldn't be bad if you really wanted to use it. getting the bleach/vinegar measure right in such a small amont of liquid might be troublesome. If it was me I'd just leave the top of the fermentor loose enough for gas to escape and just cover the bung-hole with some clingfilm.

EDIT: Pretty much everything that beernut said! Quite happy with myself that I said what he said!

I use an Airlock (I know, i know - NOOB!!) - rather than any sterilser I either put in a dribble of Whiskey or Vodka - works the same, and might taste a bit better if it gets into your beer by accident.

(30L out of one Finlandia kit, btw? Are you sure you've got your numbers right?)

I got 2. They were on special. I have a 33L drum so I'm probably going to leave 2 or 3L space at the top. Going with the higher alcohol percentage. There is a table in the instructions that says it'll come out at ~6% for 16L. I compete in a weight category sport so calories are a consideration. I'm not sure how much non-fermentable sugar is in the kit (not much I'm guessing) but I'll keep the volume (of liquid) low for now anyway.

Khannie, what Finlandia kit are you brewing, is it the cider?

Yep. The pear and apple one.

• Advertisement

Ah: two makes more sense.

For reference, I just bottled a pear and apple Finlandia kit last weekend.
    1 kit + 1kg table sugar @ 22L
    gave me OG 1.035, FG 0.999 = 4.8% ABV.

Have you had it before? If so, how would you rate it? I've seen some positive reviews online. Looking forward to it.

On the FG: Is a value of around 1 right for cider in general?

Have you had it before?
    No, but it tasted grand out of the fermenter.
    On the FG: Is a value of around 1 right for cider in general?
    Yeah, cider doesn't involve much other than water and sugar. Any I've done have finished around 1.

Is it OK to reuse bottle caps?

This is more from an environmental perspective than a money saving one. At 2c per cap you wont save a fortune on them. I just prefer to reuse stuff if I can.

I wouldn't. But I think it can be done.

Tell you what; I'll test it. I'll mark used ones and test them on a few bottles of the Finlandia brew and report back. Two or possibly three uses seems reasonable enough to avoid metal fatigue.

Does the Finlandia kit need to be racked during fermentation? It didn't come with English instructions and it's my first kit brew. I'm about 10 days in now.

In general is it good to rack after a week or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Aaaand, how long is too long to keep a kit in the bucket?
    I left a weissbier in there for five weeks.

Does the Finlandia kit need to be racked during fermentation?
    Nah. Nothing really does.

On the closures issue, I'm using my Finlandia kit to experiment with these. It'll be three weeks in the bottle at the weekend and they seem to have held the pressure.
    wet-paint wrote: »
    how long is too long to keep a kit in the bucket?
    I left a weissbier in there for five weeks.
    Five or six weeks should be fine. I'm told longer than that is where you start running the risk of autolysis.

• Advertisement

I'm using my Finlandia kit to experiment with these.

I was considering them myself, but one of my local shops has grolsch for 5 bottles for a tenner. I don't even like grolsch, but at 25c per half litre in the difference, plus the glass bottle thrown in.... I seriously considered it. In the end I couldn't really justify the price differential of the flip tops versus the crown caps + a capper, at least starting out. Good to know they work well though. I may migrate to them later.

Advertisement