Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hitch is dead.

Options
  • 16-12-2011 6:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't see it coming at all. I'll be toasting him with one of his favorite drinks I happened to buy a few days ago.

One of my favorite interviews of all time is with Paxman

RIP, was damn fun having him around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

RIP.:( I will eventually read one of his books but I did enjoy his articles, even if I didn't always necessarily agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I'll have a JW Black tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

This is such sad news, that goes without saying. But, it doesn't do to dwell on his death. Instead, remember his fine life. So, tonight, I'll be pouring a nice glass of Johnnie Walker Black Label, and watching YouTube's fine selection of Hitchslap compillations to relive that ferocious wit and intellect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That compilation is one of my favorite things ever.

As predicted the other memoriam thread has already descending into the "RIP" debate. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

One of those funny little coincidences that I finally got around to buying a bottle of Johnnie Walker specifically to drink while watching some of his stuff with a mate before Christmas. Suppose it doesn't change the plans we had in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Goodbye Hitch frown.gif

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2011/12/In-Memoriam-Christopher-Hitchens-19492011

In Memoriam: Christopher Hitchens, 1949–2011

By Juli Weiner

11:45 PM, December 15 2011

Christopher Hitchens—the incomparable critic, masterful rhetorician, fiery wit, and fearless bon vivant—died today at the age of 62. Hitchens was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in the spring of 2010, just after the publication of his memoir, Hitch-22, and began chemotherapy soon after. His matchless prose has appeared in Vanity Fair since 1992, when he was named contributing editor.
    “Cancer victimhood contains a permanent temptation to be self-centered and even solipsistic,” Hitchens wrote nearly a year ago in Vanity Fair, but his own final labors were anything but: in the last 12 months, he produced for this magazine a piece on U.S.-Pakistani relations in the wake of Osama bin Laden’s death, a portrait of Joan Didion, an essay on the Private Eye retrospective at the Victoria and Albert Museum, a prediction about the future of democracy in Egypt, a meditation on the legacy of progressivism in Wisconsin, and a series of frank, graceful, and exquisitely written essays in which he chronicled the physical and spiritual effects of his disease. At the end, Hitchens was more engaged, relentless, hilarious, observant, and intelligent than just about everyone else—just as he had been for the last four decades.
    “My chief consolation in this year of living dyingly has been the presence of friends,” he wrote in the June 2011 issue. He died in their presence, too, at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. May his 62 years of living, well, so livingly console the many of us who will miss him dearly.

Hitchens wrote:
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

Nuff said.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Damn it, never got the chance to meet CH. ...
    Thankfully at least, it's highly unlikely that parts of his body will be paraded around the world as somekind of sick worldwide relic tour.

Hitch has been a great motivation in my life for standing up as an Atheist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Was just in the shop queuing for a coffee when I saw the headline scrolling across the bottom of Sky News, my heart just sank. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

He'll be sadly missed.
    RIP Hitch.
    You made a difference to a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Saddened beyond words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

No one else was able to leave theists in daze like Hitchens.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Really going to miss him, scotch tonight I think.

So it goes.

• Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Farewell, Mr. Hitchens.

Thanks for providing the stimulating articles/books/debates.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Aw. It's a sad day for anyone who enjoyed the written or spoken word, really.

• Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Just found this on my twitter feed.
    Exclusive extracts from the writer's final interview.

Update: Christopher Hitchens has died of oesophageal cancer at the age of 62. This was his final interview.

As we revealed earlier this week, this year's New Statesman Christmas special is guest-edited by Richard Dawkins (copies can be purchased here). Among the many highlights is Dawkins's interview with his fellow anti-theist Christopher Hitchens, who began his Fleet Street career at the NS in 1973.

The great polemicist is currently undergoing treatment for stage IV oesophageal cancer ("there is no stage V," he notes) and now rarely makes public appearances but he was in Texas to receive the Freethinker of the Year Award from Dawkins in October. Before the event, the pair met in private to discuss God, religion and US politics. The resulting conversation can now be read exclusively in the New Statesman.

I'd recommend pouring yourself a glass of Johnnie Walker Black Label and reading all 5,264 words but, here, to whet your appetite, are some short extracts. As they show, though physically frail, Hitchens retains his remarkable mental agility.

"Never be afraid of stridency"

Richard Dawkins One of my main beefs with religion is the way they label children as a "Catholic child" or a "Muslim child". I've become a bit of a bore about it.
    Christopher Hitchens You must never be afraid of that charge, any more than stridency.
    RD I will remember that.
    CH If I was strident, it doesn't matter - I was a jobbing hack, I bang my drum. You have a discipline in which you are very distinguished. You've educated a lot of people; nobody denies that, not even your worst enemies. You see your discipline being attacked and defamed and attempts made to drive it out.
    Stridency is the least you should muster . . . It's the shame of your colleagues that they don't form ranks and say, "Listen, we're going to defend our colleagues from these appalling and obfuscating elements."

Fascism and the Catholic Church

RD The people who did Hitler's dirty work were almost all religious.
    CH I'm afraid the SS's relationship with the Catholic Church is something the Church still has to deal with and does not deny.
    RD Can you talk a bit about that - the relationship of Nazism with the Catholic Church?
    CH The way I put it is this: if you're writing about the history of the 1930s and the rise of totalitarianism, you can take out the word "fascist", if you want, for Italy, Portugal, Spain, Czechoslovakia and Austria and replace it with "extreme-right Catholic party".

Almost all of those regimes were in place with the help of the Vatican and with understandings from the Holy See. It's not denied. These understandings quite often persisted after the Second World War was over and extended to comparable regimes in Argentina and elsewhere.

Hitchens on the left-right spectrum

RD I've always been very suspicious of the left-right dimension in politics.
    CH Yes; it's broken down with me.
    RD It's astonishing how much traction the left-right continuum [has] . . . If you know what someone thinks about the death penalty or abortion, then you generally know what they think about everything else. But you clearly break that rule.
    CH I have one consistency, which is [being] against the totalitarian - on the left and on the right. The totalitarian, to me, is the enemy - the one that's absolute, the one that wants control over the inside of your head, not just your actions and your taxes. And the origins of that are theocratic, obviously. The beginning of that is the idea that there is a supreme leader, or infallible pope, or a chief rabbi, or whatever, who can ventriloquise the divine and tell us what to do.

Source

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The world just got a little dumber because Hitchens is gone.

He will be missed, yet his work will be enjoyed for decades to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

What a shame.

Edit: Hitchens' ten commandments:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Sad day - he'll be missed.

“The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics.”
    - Hitchens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The world has lost a great intellect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

RIP Hitchens. A very lively and engaging speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

This evening I'll raise a glass of really good red wine to his memory and in celebration of his work to dispel ignorance and superstition.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

One of my first thoughts on hearing this was - we've lost a pretty strong ally.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Just in the middle of re reading God is Not Great, his writing style and wit were second to none.

RIP Hitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think it's somewhat fitting that Richard Dawkins was the last person to interview The Hitch. Though I imagine that RD would wish that many more had the opportunity to do so. :(

RD.net is linking to the obituary on ABC News, which is quite long but very good. I think it's fair to say that it wasn't all researched and written last night. I must try and find Alexander Cockburn's "Letter to a Lying, Self-Serving, Fat-Assed, Chain-Smoking, Drunken, Opportunistic, Cynical Contrarian." :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

amacachi wrote: »
    Didn't see it coming at all. I'll be toasting him with one of his favorite drinks I happened to buy a few days ago.

One of my favorite interviews of all time is with Paxman

RIP, was damn fun having him around.

"It will yield to reason and science" You tell em Hitch!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I shall raise several glasses in your honour tonight.

Didn't agree with everything he ever said, but the person in the mirror is the only one anyone could say that about. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

RIP Hitch :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭b318isp

Very sad news, I preferred his approach and reasoning much more than Dawkins. For me, he opened new ways of looking and challenging the world. Even though he could direct his attacks, he did so logically and with a compendium of facts. A practical Socrates for our time has now gone.

Advertisement