Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-12-2011, 10:59   #31
Clareman

Mod: GAA, Rugby
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenom View Post
What did she win? Don't tell me it's a car
Poor woman lost her daughter and won a Rover 214, that's bad karma
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-12-2011, 11:56   #32
Kasabian
Closed Account

Amazing how life can throw up such moments.

Last edited by Kasabian; 11-12-2011 at 12:01.
11-12-2011, 12:20   #33
Makikomi

Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofy View Post
I often tought of that woman and her family and wondered how they are? But it just goes to show that you just don't know what people are going through. A smile and salute may make the world of a difference to some one, it costs nothing.
Plus one.

I never heard of this one, and now I'm left thinking of the poor girl who was killed, her mother and the rest of her family and frends.

God love them all.
Thanks from:
11-12-2011, 14:19   #34
donvito99

On Friday, I watched Jason Byrne attack an uncomfortable, wooden Ryan Tubridy on the now demising Late Late Show.

Utter tripe. Gay Byrne dealt with that on live tv in a way that no one else could, with humility and reverance. Fair play to him.

On a side note, would this have had anthing to do with Gay's stint a few years ago as head of the National Safety Council/RSA?
11-12-2011, 14:53   #35
Makikomi

Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
Tbh I thought Gaybo made a bollox of that.

Had he any co-op he'd have picked up the damned phone and had a chat to her instead of playing to an audience.

I doubt he gave a toss.
Advertisement
11-12-2011, 14:55   #36
looksee

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlpool View Post
Yeah, I've heard that that woman, who is most likely at LEAST aged 67 at this stage, frequents After Hours actually.
Look sonny, if you have a look around Boards you will find a good few people in her age group, just because you can't imagine being a half century older doesn't mean it won't happen.
(3) thanks from:
11-12-2011, 14:56   #37
Peyton Manning
Closed Account

I thought he handled it terribly too, the amount of detail he requested from her re: the death on live television was bloody excrutiating. Im sure he meant well, but "Was she killed instantly?"....really Gay!?
11-12-2011, 15:28   #38
TheZohanS
Closed Account

RIP Gaybo. Still can't believe he's gone.
11-12-2011, 15:46   #39
Hank_Jones
Closed Account

Advertisement
11-12-2011, 18:15   #40
whirlpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
Look sonny, if you have a look around Boards you will find a good few people in her age group, just because you can't imagine being a half century older doesn't mean it won't happen.

I was simply pointing out that it would be a massive coincidence if this lady so happened to be one of the over 67s in this country who browses Boards.ie AND browses After Hours AND saw this thread. But you personally think that those three things occurring is very likely, do you?

Secondly, I happen to teach computers and social media to a class of over 65s, so congratulations on making a completely incorrect assumption about me.

And calling me "sonny" isn't in the least bit patronising, whatsoever. Congratulations on that one.

I truly hope you're not in the over-65s range yourself because I'm afraid your life wisdom hasn't served you particularly well in this case.
11-12-2011, 18:22   #41
whirlpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makikomi View Post

Had he any co-op he'd have picked up the damned phone and had a chat to her instead of playing to an audience.

I doubt he gave a toss.

The woman went from feeling defensive ("are you being funny?") to feeling grateful ("thank you," etc) to even crying on the phone while a poem was read for her, to saying thank you after being told she had the support and prayers of the country, and feeling like she was doing something for her daughter by continuing with the phone call to win the car "for her." I'd say he handled it pretty damn well.
11-12-2011, 18:38   #42
pebbles21

Im sure Peter was at the "Tennis Club" at that hour of the night
11-12-2011, 19:00   #43
looksee

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlpool View Post
I was simply pointing out that it would be a massive coincidence if this lady so happened to be one of the over 67s in this country who browses Boards.ie AND browses After Hours AND saw this thread. But you personally think that those three things occurring is very likely, do you?
I took the roll-eyes to mean that you considered it staggeringly unlikely that anyone over sixty-whatever would be reading boards, whatever about the woman in question.

Quote:
Secondly, I happen to teach computers and social media to a class of over 65s, so congratulations on making a completely incorrect assumption about me.
And I also teach computer subjects - to 20 year olds! Tho' I am not sure what assumptions I am supposed to have made or why that is relevant.

Quote:
And calling me "sonny" isn't in the least bit patronising, whatsoever. Congratulations on that one.
The sonny was supposed to be a joke/dig at myself rather than you, as I am one of those you quote and might be expected to use that term. Yes I suppose it was a bit convoluted, I've been told I have a strange sense of humour.

Quote:
I truly hope you're not in the over-65s range yourself because I'm afraid your life wisdom hasn't served you particularly well in this case.
Ooooh, *sharp intake of breath* I think you win!
11-12-2011, 19:06   #44
seanybiker
Closed Account

I thought he handled it brutally in my opinion. Ask her does she want to carry on but asking about the details of the accident was stupid.
11-12-2011, 22:11   #45
Yahew
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makikomi View Post

I doubt he gave a toss.
It was clear he needed to put the call on speaker phone to allow the studio to hear. He could hardly have a private conversation on live TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanybiker View Post
I thought he handled it brutally in my opinion. Ask her does she want to carry on but asking about the details of the accident was stupid.
The other option was to hang up. He got it right.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion