Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-12-2011, 23:25   #1
gerrymadden1

Another Ryanair Issue

My wife & her sister had to travel to Gran Canaria at short notice as their brother was taken seriously ill.

They booked a Ryanair flight last minute from Shannon to Palma, not cheap but that's not the issue.

They both packed one piece of hand luggage ensuring to stay within the Ryanair guidelines. No problem on the outward journey.

A few days later, on the return flight, this time from Palma to Dublin, they were charged €40 each because their hand luggage did not fit into a measuring frame. This was despite the fact that both pieces of luggage were actually lighter than on the outbound journey as the didn't bother to bring back their toiletries etc. They were well within the Ryanair weight limits for hand luggage.

A number of other passengers had a similar experience. And worse still, they were bullied by the Ryanair staff who acted as if they were on some kind of bonus to penalise passengers.

In simple terms, another Ryanair rip off.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-12-2011, 23:42   #2
Guy:Incognito

Was the bag within the size allowed?
09-12-2011, 23:46   #3
highlydebased

A bag could be empty but still be too big to carry onboard. The measurements are displayed on the boarding pass....

They are always very lenient at Irish airports about it.
09-12-2011, 23:50   #4
patwicklow

I just would not fly with them ye man who owns it is just a money hungry
greedy twat.
10-12-2011, 00:00   #5
bandit197

The size of the baggage allowed onboard is well published. Its not a scam.
Advertisement
10-12-2011, 00:17   #6
srfc19

Quote:
Originally Posted by patwicklow View Post
greedy twat.
He doesn't own them. He's the CEO. And if it's his money hungriness that has led to such cheap flights all around Europe then that's brilliant.

Ryanair is a no frills airline. Cheap and cheerful, but if you choose to fly with them you should know to stay within their rules.
10-12-2011, 00:24   #7
longhalloween

Not a scam, but a well know major annoyance. They upped the charge recently too.

I think everyone has their hearts in their mouths when measuring the bags and I've seen people dump stuff on the ground to make the bag fit.

You really do get what you pay for with Ryanair, which is what makes them so brilliant, and also so annoying.
(2) thanks from:
10-12-2011, 00:34   #8
PseudoFamous

Send a message via Skype™ to PseudoFamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by patwicklow View Post
greedy twat.
He runs a business. I would suggest that given any opportunity, any business would happily take all of your money. That is the entire idea of a business.

They are perfectly allowed to make rules for people who travel with them. If you don't like the rules, do as you did, and feck right off.
(2) thanks from:
10-12-2011, 12:09   #9
ejmaztec

Didn't Ryanair recently start paying commission to the bag-checkers (Servisair staff etc), to make sure the dimensions weren't being exceeded? Previously these staff didn't seem too bothered unless the bag was huge.

This cabin baggage situation really pisses me off. I bought a Targus laptop bag for just short of €100, and while it might be just about the right size, you can put a laptop in it, but precious little else before it gets dangerously close to the meagre weight limits imposed by Ryanair, and other airlines.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-12-2011, 16:56   #10
Vuzuggu

How is this a scam. Same as alot of airlines. Ive had this problem with both aer lingus and united and I just paid.
(5) thanks from:
19-12-2011, 19:48   #11
shellyboo

They got away with having bags that were too big on the outbound journey then? You should be thanking them for saving your wife & sister €80 in that case.

There is no point chancing your arm with bags that don't fit measurement requirements with Ryanair... they're lax in Ireland, but hell everywhere else.
(4) thanks from:
19-12-2011, 19:55   #12
saa

I don't feel entitled to cheap flights at all nevermind last minute, but thats not the issue the problem here is you expected them to turn a blind eye for your mistaketwice,

To ensure cheap flights they must do this, yes it is a pain in the arsé but ye's can't have good service and discretion with a low cost airline, those are the corners they cut.

Its not a scam as anyone can check the restrictions beforehand, reminds me of a lady in front of me at security who was giving out to the security guy for not using the plastic bag provided, yeah restrictions are annoying but why would you be treated differently. I'm just confused because you got fined once instead of twice, lucky.
Thanks from:
19-12-2011, 20:17   #13
benmad

Aer Lingus were looking for €220 for changing dates from May to June.
20-12-2011, 16:08   #14
john_cappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrymadden1 View Post
A number of other passengers had a similar experience. And worse still, they were bullied by the Ryanair staff who acted as if they were on some kind of bonus to penalise passengers.
They are! I think spanish staff work on commission so are strict with the guide lines in comparison to the workers at the irish end.
22-12-2011, 15:06   #15
homerjay2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhalloween View Post
Not a scam, but a well know major annoyance. They upped the charge recently too.

I think everyone has their hearts in their mouths when measuring the bags and I've seen people dump stuff on the ground to make the bag fit.

You really do get what you pay for with Ryanair, which is what makes them so brilliant, and also so annoying.
you will know next time to keep the bag allowance to what is specified, clearly.

did they not think of putting ithe bag nto the blue holder in before if was checked, to see what they could take out?

its not a scam, its called taking money off idiots.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion