Bye Bye Grants - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-01-2012, 01:38   #31
rainbowtrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by areyawell View Post
Students have every right to spend the grant however they want on clothes, cars whatevers.

RANT OVER!
Really? A car is an absolute student necessity?

The grant is there to support a student in getting an education, not to fund their social life. Cars are a luxury and the grant should not be funding cars for students who are too bone lazy to walk to college or get the bus etc.

If a student is using their grant to buy a car, they don't need the grant. They are clearly able to afford rent, bills and other college expenses.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-01-2012, 02:25   #32
areyawell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowtrout View Post

The grant is there to support a student in getting an education, not to fund their social life. Cars are a luxury and the grant should not be funding cars for students who are too bone lazy to walk to college or get the bus etc.

If a student is using their grant to buy a car, they don't need the grant. They are clearly able to afford rent, bills and other college expenses.
Look my final comment on the matter.

Ive a close friends who has a car and had a 2000 euro loan to pay including insurance and pays 40 a weeks for the car. He works 18 hours on the weekend and 6 hours on a weekday and recieves a grant of 3000 for the year in three installments which covers accomadation. He also recieves 50 a week from his parents to help him along with college. Is there anything wrong with this?

Also I know people with "nice" parents who have just given there children a car after the leaving cert and they recieve a grant. Is there anything wrong with this as well? Parents just nicer than other parents.

Also other people I know with cars come from wealthy familys and they do not recieve a grant at all.

If people work during college fair play to them for getting a job and should not be cut. Remember can get a nice car today for 1200 and parents usually help pay for it

Theres a lot more to it than you think and some people are just lucky i guess
07-01-2012, 02:55   #33
CKonetheonlyone

My personal opinion is that going out is not a "right".

I suspect that those students who go out every week or more than once a week have absolutely no groceries in their cupboards, toiletries in their bathrooms, washing powder for the washing machine, don't buy christmas presents, don't have dependents, neglect their dental issues, substitute food for alcohol, struggle with rent, run out of oil in winter, circumvent bin charges, and do not acquire any new personal possessions (unless they work)

I understand generalisation. It expresses a frustration I frequently feel myself . But it's a lazy way out and never reflects complexities.

Basically I know where you are coming from OP, but the "apparent" quality of life of those in receipt of a grant who go out all the time is prolly greater than the ACTUAL quality of life.

P.S. you cannot receive a maintenance grant at the same time as being in receipt of a back to education allowance, that was done away with in budget 2011
07-01-2012, 03:02   #34
CKonetheonlyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKonetheonlyone View Post
My personal opinion is that going out is not a "right".

I suspect that those students who go out every week or more than once a week have absolutely no groceries in their cupboards, toiletries in their bathrooms, washing powder for the washing machine, don't buy christmas presents, don't have dependents, neglect their dental issues, substitute food for alcohol, struggle with rent, run out of oil in winter, circumvent bin charges, and do not acquire any new personal possessions (unless they work)

I understand generalisation. It expresses a frustration I frequently feel myself . But it's a lazy way out and never reflects complexities.

Basically I know where you are coming from OP, but the "apparent" quality of life of those in receipt of a grant who go out all the time is prolly greater than the ACTUAL quality of life.

P.S. you cannot receive a maintenance grant at the same time as being in receipt of a back to education allowance, that was done away with in budget 2011
To qualify this, I work to pay my mortgage (and the several associated expenses), travel 200 kms a week to and from college, and make the most of the 1250 per year ( approx 25? euro per week, pre-budget 2011/2012) I receive.
07-01-2012, 03:20   #35
areyawell
Banned

Every student does not get a grant. I lived in a house in college with 4 others. I was the only one to get the grant of 3000. Two got a grant of roughly 900 and another didnt get a grant at all.

Please remember every student does not get a grant and only get the 6000 one if you come from a very very poor background.

I did go out drinking but a night out for me was 15 euro. A heap of cheap cans, go out at 12Am and a pint when I was out while some other students were in the student bar or another bar all day. Maybe there parents had money aside for there childs education or just very wealthy who give there child 200 a week or sumtin I dunno

People here are branding every student under the same bracket which fustrates me. 90% of people who recieved the grant actually needed it that I knew because they wouldnt have been able to afford college.

3000 grant just covers accomadation, other money I got came from parents as i could not get a job. No one in hell I could of affording college if i didnt get it. Some students are just better off than others.

I feel for you situation Sir and should be docked tax on your wages if you apply to the revenue? The amount you are recieving is not right and should be recieving the 3000 mark
Advertisement
07-01-2012, 13:52   #36
rainbowtrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by areyawell View Post
Look my final comment on the matter.

Ive a close friends who has a car and had a 2000 euro loan to pay including insurance and pays 40 a weeks for the car. He works 18 hours on the weekend and 6 hours on a weekday and recieves a grant of 3000 for the year in three installments which covers accomadation. He also recieves 50 a week from his parents to help him along with college. Is there anything wrong with this?

Also I know people with "nice" parents who have just given there children a car after the leaving cert and they recieve a grant. Is there anything wrong with this as well? Parents just nicer than other parents.

Also other people I know with cars come from wealthy familys and they do not recieve a grant at all.

If people work during college fair play to them for getting a job and should not be cut. Remember can get a nice car today for 1200 and parents usually help pay for it

Theres a lot more to it than you think and some people are just lucky i guess

You're assuming that I mean no student should have a car. I don't. If you've worked for it or got it as a present fair enough. But there are students who are getting the grant and don't need it and using the grant to buy a car. They clearly don't need the grant to pay for rent, bills, food, which is what the grant is for. They are spending it on luxuries when it's meant for necessities.

There are posts in this thread of examples of people buying games consoles, gambling with the grant who clearly don't need it. They shouldn't be getting it.
(2) thanks from:
07-01-2012, 15:18   #37
MarcusFenix

Send a message via MSN to MarcusFenix

If a student is using their grant to buy a car, they don't need the grant. They are clearly able to afford rent, bills and other college expenses.[/Quote]

Ffs, your assuming that every student in the country lives away from home to go to college. I drove around 400km a week to college and if I didn't get the 3000 grant there's no way I could have afforded insurance And fuel. I think it's a very typical Irish view that a car for a young person is a luxury, watching too much tv?

We live in Ireland not somewhere with proper public transport! Most of my class drove to college bar maybe 5, because that was the cheapest option

I think my grant supported me getting my education, in the form of providing Transport.
07-01-2012, 15:33   #38
Killer Pigeon
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40040D View Post
There are plenty of jobs out there we just need to look in the right places. Some of us, in particular my generation and the generations after ours have a terrible attitude to work anyway...Plenty of jobs available as cleaners ...But that attitude that "I'm not doin that", "the wages are too low" crap just shows how we are so used to things being handed to us.
Stop the bull****...

I've applied for everything, kitchen porter, call centres, barman, waiter, etc., but they don't get back to me. I send on average about 15 CVs off a week. Even then they're looking for experience. Many people I know are working in various places because of connections they have. And I live in Dublin where most of the jobs are supposed to be.

And I'm doing a degree with loads of hours. An employer would sooner employ someone who can work during the week and not merely at weekends.

I don't waste any money that I have either. I only went out twice last year and I don't drink much either.

Last edited by Killer Pigeon; 07-01-2012 at 15:40.
12-01-2012, 20:42   #39
lady365

people need these grants... not all ppl spend money on drink etc!!!
not everyone has parents to fall back on...
think before u speak!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2012, 00:13   #40
rainbowtrout

Ffs, your assuming that every student in the country lives away from home to go to college. I drove around 400km a week to college and if I didn't get the 3000 grant there's no way I could have afforded insurance And fuel. I think it's a very typical Irish view that a car for a young person is a luxury, watching too much tv?

We live in Ireland not somewhere with proper public transport! Most of my class drove to college bar maybe 5, because that was the cheapest option

I think my grant supported me getting my education, in the form of providing Transport.[/QUOTE]

No, far from it. I lived at home when I was in college and I don't watch too much tv. There were plenty of students when I was in college driving from their student accommodation to campus which was no more than a 10 minute walk and they were receiving a grant.

Again you're missing the point of my post. You used your grant for a car for transport and I would assume that this was a cheaper way for you to go to college than rent away from home. Fair enough. There are many students getting grants who do live away from home, and some who live at home and buy cars when they are not necessary like the ones I mentioned above.
13-01-2012, 00:48   #41
hefferboi

When I was in college I had 50 euro for the week. Spent 20 on groceries and went out once a week most weeks and twice a week some weeks. Going out in college isn't that pricey if you're not a full fool.
13-04-2012, 20:00   #42
AnswerMe!
Closed Account

you're clearly just a very ignorant person to generalise all students like that! I'm in my first year of college and by god am I thankful for that grant. I get the full 6000 but not 1cent is wasted I'v been out 3 times since i started in Sept and without it there would be absolutely no hope of getting a college education. And before you start on about getting a job I did have one and they let me go but the money I was making wouldn't come anywhere close to covering everything anyway.
so really all you want is for young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to have no chance of a career but to repeat the cycle of social welfare and council houses, would that not cost the government more? No?
16-04-2012, 15:41   #43
fries
Banned

So why isn't everyone getting out onto the streets more often? People Must protest frequently and more loudly.
16-04-2012, 16:00   #44
hattoncracker

I work 20 hours a week, and have college 24 hours a week, I earn approx €1,100 a month, I go to college in Limerick and I am from Ulster.. Living at home is Not an option, I'm a mature with rent, bills, and a car to pay for... I pay for everything myself.

My grant is €130 a month... And I need it. And I had to fight to get it.
OP I don't know when or where you went to college but times have changed.. I don't know one person in my course who can get a job. Times are tough. Look at the real world.
24-04-2012, 14:52   #45
Mr.Plough

Ridiculous first post.

I'm doing a masters atm with no grant, took out a loan with the credit union to pay for the fees. Work friday nights, all day and night saturday, and sunday nights, meaning no study on weekends i.e. in college until 10pm most nights. Zero social life, can't afford a car and theres no direct bus route to college so I cycle in and out which is 15km each way. Add in rent/esb/heating/phone bill/loan repayments and I'm barely able to eat. If I got a grant it most definitely would not be spent on gargle.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion