Brit Floyd V Australian Pink Floyd - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-12-2011, 11:32   #1
poundhound

Brit Floyd V Australian Pink Floyd

With both tribute acts playing Dublin in 2012, just wondering which is the superior act?

Ive seen the APF in the O2 a couple of years ago and they were fantastic, Im gonna go to their Olympia show next year too.

Am I right in saying 1 or 2 members of the APF broke away to form BritFloyd? They got great reviews for their Grand Canal Theatre show.

Might end up going to see both.
Advertisement
06-12-2011, 12:03   #2
CiaranK

Quote:
Originally Posted by poundhound View Post
With both tribute acts playing Dublin in 2012, just wondering which is the superior act?

Ive seen the APF in the O2 a couple of years ago and they were fantastic, Im gonna go to their Olympia show next year too.

Am I right in saying 1 or 2 members of the APF broke away to form BritFloyd? They got great reviews for their Grand Canal Theatre show.

I haven't seen either of them myself. They are both meant to be good. But the Aussies are meant to be the best you'd ever see.
06-12-2011, 15:32   #3
Grid.

Aussie Pink Floyd without a doubt, seen them a few times and they're the best you'll get to the real thing ,endorsed by Gilmour if I remember correctly.
06-12-2011, 15:33   #4
sagem

APF

have the apf released a date yet foe 2012 i will def go,check out our tribute band from dublin GREENFLOYD
http://youtu.be/mM5qeRuiNn0
06-12-2011, 15:34   #5
kenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Aussie Pink Floyd without a doubt, seen them a few times and they're the best you'll get to the real thing ,endorsed by Gilmour if I remember correctly.
They played his 60th.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-12-2011, 17:55   #6
bodhrandude

Actually I prefer the real Pink Floyd myself
(3) thanks from:
06-12-2011, 18:03   #7
ads20101

There are a fair few rumours on the net that a reunion is on the cards. Apart from live8 and the last waters gig in the London O2, all 3 remaining did a joint interview recently on their latest compilation. Or is it just wishful thinking, if it isn't it would be a gig to sell your granny for. As for the tributes APF has the bigger pedigree, but saying that I haven't seen britfloyd so I shouldn't really comment.
06-12-2011, 19:07   #8
Legion

Quote:

They did indeed,you wont be disapointed in seeing BPF imo since Damian Darlington left the APF for them they are the much better sounding band note for note,now thats just my opinion. Seen them in The Grand Canal and they were **** hot although the venue didnt suit them tbh as they seemed pretty cramped on the stage. Their playing the o2 next may so thats a must for me.

But do go see both if you can,you wont be disapointed in either.

Worth a look > http://www.britfloyd.com/videos/11-concert-footage
07-12-2011, 07:14   #9
RayCon

€35 + booking fee to see a tribute act ...*shakes head*
Advertisement
07-12-2011, 10:37   #10
kenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCon View Post
Yep. Thats what put me off going to see them the last time they were here.

I saw them once before in the Point, they were good...but just not that good.
08-12-2011, 09:31   #11
Matt Bianco

Seen on a US guitar site

The Brit Floyd story

In 2005 Colin Wilson, bass player of The Australian Pink Floyd Show decided not to tour outside Europe anymore, so Ian Cattell was hired on bass and vocals for the North American tours. Steve Mac took the same decision a year later, his role initially being filled by Jamie Humphries, then more recently by Bobby Harrison. In 2008, Jason Sawford decided he only wanted to do some of the North American Shows and Rob Stringer stepped in. The last part of the jigsaw was completed when Paul Bonney was replaced by Arran Ahmun on drums for all North American shows. In 2010 Steve, Colin and Jason of TAPFS appointed Kevin Brown as their new manager, replacing Chas Cole of CMP. Damian Darlington, who was one of the directors and owners of TAPFS, decided it was time to move on and formed Brit Floyd with Chas. Most of the rest of TAPFS (band and crew), all of whom are hired on a tour by tour basis, sided with Damian and went with him, so Brit Floyd is effectively the lineup of TAPFS that has toured North America for the last few years. Everyone in Brit Floyd has previously played with TAPFS, but not all in Europe. TAPFS has hired a number of new members and the bands are now entirely independent of each other.
(2) thanks from:
09-12-2011, 12:59   #12
poundhound

Nice one Matt Bianco, very informative.

APF are bringing their new quadraphonic sound system to Dublin in Feb.
Basically surround sound in a concert setting, Roger Waters has been using it for years.

35euro for a tribute act is steep, but these are hardly ordinary tribute acts. Their show is better than a lot of original artists Ive seen.
09-12-2011, 20:31   #13
RayCon

Quote:
35euro for a tribute act is steep, but these are hardly ordinary tribute acts. Their show is better than a lot of original artists Ive seen.
Dont fool yourself ... a tribute act is a tribute act - regardless of "stage show".

€35 + Booking fee will get you 2 very good shows by original artists.
10-12-2011, 12:30   #14
magnumlady

Mod: Sligo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCon View Post
You are right. I was thinking of going but that is pricey for a tribute act. Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Florence and the Machine weren't much dearer then that.
12-12-2011, 09:22   #15
poundhound

Having paid €96 for Roger Waters, €102 for Bruce Springsteen and €105 for Prince, €35 is a bargain!
Re "€35 + Booking fee will get you 2 very good shows by original artists."
Where? In Whelans?
Katy Parry and Taylor Swifts shows are catered for kids, hence the low ticket price.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion