Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-06-2012, 19:36   #31
Lago

So I'm wondering from reading this thread, should I put the courses I know I want at the top in order and then when I get to the ones I don't know how to order, should I put the ones with the lower points at the bottom and work up?
Advertisement
05-06-2012, 19:40   #32
QueenOfLeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lago View Post
So I'm wondering from reading this thread, should I put the courses I know I want at the top in order and then when I get to the ones I don't know how to order, should I put the ones with the lower points at the bottom and work up?
Every course must be put down in order of preference. If you can't figure out which course you prefer between 2, go to the prospectus and see if there are any minor differences between them, or see if you can decide which college you'd prefer to go to.
(2) thanks from:
05-06-2012, 19:51   #33
Lago

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfLeon View Post
Every course must be put down in order of preference. If you can't figure out which course you prefer between 2, go to the prospectus and see if there are any minor differences between them, or see if you can decide which college you'd prefer to go to.
Ok, so putting them down in order of entry requirements has no benefit?
05-06-2012, 20:28   #34
randylonghorn
Exactly what it says on the tin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lago View Post
Ok, so putting them down in order of entry requirements has no benefit?
No.

As I said above:

The system presumes you knew your own mind when you ranked your choices.

Which is why it is absolutely essential that you rank your CAO choices in the order in which YOU would like to be offered them ... NOT according to what way you think the points might go, not in order of supposed status, not for any other reason except "I really want to do X, that goes down first; if I don't get X, then Y is my next preference ..." and so on.

If you want X course more than Y, put X down first on your ranking order ... it's that simple, really.
Thanks from:
05-06-2012, 23:04   #35
Astrozombies

CAO offers - after the leaving

Just wondering if anyone could explain how CAO offers work in regards to 1st round offers and 2nd round offers?
Say If I get enough points to get my top choice on the CAO, and they send me out a letter saying that I can take that course... will I ever get sent out a 2nd round of offers that can allow me to choose my 2nd choice? Or will that be gone as soon as I get offered my top choice?

Bit confusingly worded, sorry
Advertisement
05-06-2012, 23:13   #36
QueenOfLeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrozombies View Post
Just wondering if anyone could explain how CAO offers work in regards to 1st round offers and 2nd round offers?
Say If I get enough points to get my top choice on the CAO, and they send me out a letter saying that I can take that course... will I ever get sent out a 2nd round of offers that can allow me to choose my 2nd choice? Or will that be gone as soon as I get offered my top choice?
Moved to the CAO thread

You will be offered the highest course that you qualify for. From that point on, anything BELOW that course on your form are now completely gone, you will never be offered any of those. Anything ABOVE the course that you have been offered, you can be offered in later rounds if the points drop.

So in your case, if you get your top choice, that's it, you won't get any other offers - which is why its so important to make sure that your top choice is definitely the one you want the most
Thanks from:
07-06-2012, 09:49   #37
IslandKid
Closed Account

just a quick question about getting your papers re-checked in august , what happens in the following situation?

I achieve 480 points yet the course i want is 485 points. obviously the offers go out and the second round and so forth, and they fill up the course for 485. now i get my papers re-checked and it turns out i did achieve 485, how does that work? surely they can't put me in the course as they have already filled the places.

to add on to that, what if i had achieved 490 points, 5 points over the minimum in the re-check?

thanks
07-06-2012, 16:09   #38
QueenOfLeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandKid View Post
just a quick question about getting your papers re-checked in august , what happens in the following situation?

I achieve 480 points yet the course i want is 485 points. obviously the offers go out and the second round and so forth, and they fill up the course for 485. now i get my papers re-checked and it turns out i did achieve 485, how does that work? surely they can't put me in the course as they have already filled the places.

to add on to that, what if i had achieved 490 points, 5 points over the minimum in the re-check?

thanks
For some courses they will leave spaces free for people to come in after rechecks so you can join the class in late October when the results of the rechecks come out. However some courses will already have done some continuous assessments or assignments for that date, so you may not be able to join the class. I think in this case you would be offered the place for the following year.
07-06-2012, 21:19   #39
Naomi00

I have one level 7 course on my CAO that I have no intention of doing. Because it's the only one on that list, they won't let me delete it. Does anyone know how I can take it off the list?

I never wanted to do a level 7 course but because there's only 2 level 8 courses on my CAO I was advised to just put this one on anyway and then take it off later. But now the CAO website's won't let me save the empty list.
Advertisement
07-06-2012, 21:27   #40
QueenOfLeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi00 View Post
I have one level 7 course on my CAO that I have no intention of doing. Because it's the only one on that list, they won't let me delete it. Does anyone know how I can take it off the list?

I never wanted to do a level 7 course but because there's only 2 level 8 courses on my CAO I was advised to just put this one on anyway and then take it off later. But now the CAO website's won't let me save the empty list.
Are you sure it won't let you edit the form, delete it and then save it?

Even if you can't take it off, it doesn't matter, you will be offered both a Level 8 and a Level 7 course (if you qualify for them) so in that case you just accept the Level 8 and ignore the Level 7 offer.
08-06-2012, 18:35   #41
baz2009

Send a message via MSN to baz2009
Possibly in the wrong place, but sure!

When's the last date that you can accept a course?
The offers are out on the 20th I think and it looks possible that I'll be in Spain until the 25th..
08-06-2012, 18:48   #42
Anita Blow

You have a week to accept the offer. After that it gets put back into the system and redistributed to someone else as a second round offer. You can always find an internet cafe to log in and accept it or get someone at home to do it or you can just wait!
08-06-2012, 19:44   #43
randylonghorn
Exactly what it says on the tin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz2009 View Post
The offers are out on the 20th I think and it looks possible that I'll be in Spain until the 25th..
You can accept online.

Spain *does* have internet!
08-06-2012, 23:01   #44
baz2009

Send a message via MSN to baz2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by randylonghorn View Post
You can accept online.

Spain *does* have internet!
I know, but I don't plan on being of sound enough body or mind to go accepting college courses.
Thanks from:
13-06-2012, 19:19   #45
IslandKid
Closed Account

whats the story on the rise in applications for CAO? i know last year there was 45 766 cao applications processed (BBC), but is there an official figure out for the number of applications this year? i know uk applications have increased but other than that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18175060

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion