Steve Bruce has left Sunderland. - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-11-2011, 19:59   #31
doc_17

I don't think Rafa would go to Sunderland.
Advertisement
30-11-2011, 19:59   #32
Dont be at yourself

I'd love to see Rafa get the job. He's massively divisive, but is the kind of manager capable of establishing a team like Sunderland at a higher level.
30-11-2011, 20:06   #33
pavb2

I'd go with Hughes over MON been said before MON's financial dealings got out of control at Villa especially wages. MON might be OK with a firm director of football taking responsibility for transfers and wages but would MON stand for this?

With the sad passing of Gary Speed what chance Hughes back to Wales anyway

The best options I think would be Moyes (would need cash to build a team) or Paul lambert I'd take these over Rafa

Bruce should go to Blackburn might not be a bad move for them under present circumstances

Last edited by pavb2; 30-11-2011 at 20:12.
30-11-2011, 20:09   #34
Paully D

Mark Hughes will be interviewed tomorrow.
30-11-2011, 20:19   #35
Crazy Horse 6
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike65 View Post
If they have any ambition they will get Rafa - Quinn is gallivanting around the world drumming up funds/sponsorship/links, having a La Liga/UEFA Cup/FA Cup/Champions League winning manager would trump SLP/FA Trophy winning manager
Doubt if Rafa would go there tbh.
Advertisement
30-11-2011, 22:08   #36
DOC09UNAM
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Horse 6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike65 View Post
If they have any ambition they will get Rafa - Quinn is gallivanting around the world drumming up funds/sponsorship/links, having a La Liga/UEFA Cup/FA Cup/Champions League winning manager would trump SLP/FA Trophy winning manager
Doubt if Rafa would go there tbh.
They're not that far off liverpool stature.
30-11-2011, 22:15   #37
legendary.xix

I'd prefer O'Neill to Hughes. He turned Villa around and got three 6th places and to Wembley.
I wouldn't discount Rafa, he rushed into the Inter job but having been out for a while I think he'll do well in his next job.
Moyes would be my top choice but would he leave Everton, compensation then would be an issue. I can't see at the moment what else he can do with Everton. If he had the money Bruce has had to spend, he'd do a fantastic job and his team plays good football. Every time Sunderland have played them, Everton have always had that cutting edge, better passing and better all round game.
30-11-2011, 22:21   #38
Liam O

Hughes is the man I'd say. Bruce made some good signings but similar to AVB at Chelsea it just hasn't clicked. Ultimately a last minute goal consigned him to the sack, if Wigan don't win that game Bruce is still in a job. Shows the fickle nature of football management.

Can I ask all the Sunderland fans on here what their expectations are for Sunderland?
30-11-2011, 22:29   #39
Paully D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam O View Post
Can I ask all the Sunderland fans on here what their expectations are for Sunderland?
Top half for me, so 10th.

That said, I do realise it's not always possible with a team like us and we will be up and down so mid-table with no relegation fears all season and no long, win-less run would also be acceptable to me.

I really don't think that's too much to ask.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-11-2011, 22:34   #40
Liam O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paully D View Post
Top half for me, so 10th.

That said, I do realise it's not always possible with a team like us and we will be up and down so mid-table with no relegation fears all season and no long, win-less run would also be acceptable to me.

I really don't think that's too much to ask.
hmm yeah about what I thought, and I think you have the squad to do it and would have eventually clicked. It may come to fruition for the new manager, we'll see. Would you be happy/satisfied with a 15th place finish at this moment in time?
30-11-2011, 22:41   #41
Paully D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam O View Post
hmm yeah about what I thought, and I think you have the squad to do it and would have eventually clicked. It may come to fruition for the new manager, we'll see. Would you be happy/satisfied with a 15th place finish at this moment in time?
Considering we're only 5 points off 8th place at the moment with a new manager to come in and have the January transfer window, I can't say I'd be happy with 15th. Our fixtures do get trickier over the next couple of months, but I wouldn't expect Norwich, Swansea and QPR to be where they are come the end of the season and I think we could finish ahead of them at least. You look at Stoke who are struggling in the PL with Europe and will get through the group stages, so I think we can finish ahead of them, and West Brom and Fulham aren't frightening me either.

Remember, we have the best goal difference outside the top 7, I know it's not a great indication of anything, but it shows we have the basis of something solid for the new manager to work with.

Would I be happy with say 12th? Yes, I would. But I think we can certainly finish better than 15th.

A finish of around 12th should be the aim this season for me.
30-11-2011, 22:48   #42
Sir Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC09UNAM View Post
They're not that far off liverpool stature.
30-11-2011, 22:49   #43
legendary.xix

I'd expect top half. I know there isn't a whole lot between a certain number of clubs. I think it was a tall order though without a decent striker up front. It's important to score goals and take chances in the Premier League. With Bent and Gyan having left, no able replacements have come in. Questions have to be asked why Bent and Gyan wanted to leave as well?
01-12-2011, 00:04   #44
markesmith

Don't think Moyes would go for you either, I reckon he's holding out for something bigger than Everton.

Sunderland have a good squad, the right manager could do wonders. Holloway maybe? Big Sam?
01-12-2011, 00:06   #45
Paully D

The likes of Rafa and Moyes are unrealistic, I agree.

It's basically a straight shoot-out between Hughes and O'Neill now. Hughes is being interviewed tomorrow. Hopefully it all goes well and he's appointed quickly.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion