Dublin City brings in €500 firefighter call-out fee will only encourage DIY firemen.. - Page 4 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 11:20   #46
ivabiggon
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 339
you seem to be well up on this area, maybe you should set one up as oppose to your fire service and your little school girl fascination for firemen and their equipment!!!
ivabiggon is offline  
Advertisement
02-12-2011, 14:37   #47
scholar007
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivabiggon View Post
you seem to be well up on this area, maybe you should set one up as oppose to your fire service and your little school girl fascination for firemen and their equipment!!!

Surely you can think of (a process which kind of involves a few brain cells working together) something more insulting to write than "your little school girl fascination for firemen and their equipment" ?
scholar007 is offline  
07-12-2011, 15:00   #48
time lord
Registered User
 
time lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Upstairs where the Daleks can't come.
Posts: 593
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ption-fee.html

Another extreme or the future of payments?
time lord is offline  
19-12-2011, 07:35   #49
Zambia
Moderator
 
Zambia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 6,805
http://www.independent.ie/national-n...e-2967302.html

In short mans car catch fire on Motorway , two engines arrive, man gets charged 3125 euro by council.

I am tipping the car was not worth that much?


I wonder would this work.

999 "999 Police fire ambulance"

Victim "Car Fire on M50 south bound by the Navan road turn off, but I am just letting you know I don't require attendance I am fine and no one is trapped or hurt."

999 "We will have to send a unit as its on the Motorway"

Victim "Ok but that's your call I dont want the fire brigrade...is this recording ?"

999 "Yes of course"

Victim " Just so we are clear I was just calling for a chat like..I am not requesting anyone"
Zambia is offline  
Thanks from:
19-12-2011, 12:58   #50
CB19Kevo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Munster - 110m
Posts: 480
This will really damage the publics view of the Fire service.
All calls outside of commercial incidents should be free to the public.
Emergency services should never be money earners or charge.......
CB19Kevo is offline  
Advertisement
19-12-2011, 16:08   #51
Turner
Moderator
 
Turner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: dublin
Posts: 3,610
To be honest I dont see why the Fire Brigade is required for a car fire.

If the fire has taken hold so much (that the car is a right off) and there is no chance of the fire spreading to buildings other cars or trees... Whats the point in paying the fire brigade to put it out.

Just let it burn itself out.

The fire brigade arent going to magically save it for you, all they will do is fill it with water, break open your bonnet and disconnect your battery.

Ring your insurance company who will tow the shell, or decide its the councils problem to get rid of it.

Last edited by Turner; 19-12-2011 at 16:10.
Turner is offline  
19-12-2011, 16:19   #52
markpb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 6,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner View Post
If the fire has taken hold so much (that the car is a right off) and there is no chance of the fire spreading to buildings other cars or trees...
I guess they don't know until they get there whether there's a fire contagion risk or not.
markpb is offline  
19-12-2011, 17:36   #53
Paulzx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner View Post
To be honest I dont see why the Fire Brigade is required for a car fire.

If the fire has taken hold so much (that the car is a right off) and there is no chance of the fire spreading to buildings other cars or trees... Whats the point in paying the fire brigade to put it out.

Just let it burn itself out.

The fire brigade arent going to magically save it for you, all they will do is fill it with water, break open your bonnet and disconnect your battery.

Ring your insurance company who will tow the shell, or decide its the councils problem to get rid of it.
It's nothing got to do with saving the car. If a car is on fire in a housing estate and its pumping out filthy black smoke all over the houses people are going to want it extingushed as soon as possible.

If its parked at the side of the road and its ablaze no traffic will be able to pass unless they want their paintwork melted. The smoke is also a visabilty hazard to other drivers.

Nobody in their right mind is going to let a car burn out for a few hours in a bulit up area even if it is not an actual fire risk to any building.

It's a fire. It's the fire brigades job to extingush it.
Paulzx is offline  
19-12-2011, 17:47   #54
MagicSean
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB19Kevo View Post
This will really damage the publics view of the Fire service.
All calls outside of commercial incidents should be free to the public.
Emergency services should never be money earners or charge.......
If some moron starts a fire in his back garden to burn rubbish and it spreads should he not have to pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner View Post
To be honest I dont see why the Fire Brigade is required for a car fire.

If the fire has taken hold so much (that the car is a right off) and there is no chance of the fire spreading to buildings other cars or trees... Whats the point in paying the fire brigade to put it out.

Just let it burn itself out.

The fire brigade arent going to magically save it for you, all they will do is fill it with water, break open your bonnet and disconnect your battery.

Ring your insurance company who will tow the shell, or decide its the councils problem to get rid of it.
There are so many other risks in a car fire than just spreading. Paulzx has mentioned a few. What about keeping the public away or salvaging evidence?
MagicSean is offline  
Advertisement
19-12-2011, 17:58   #55
Owryan
Registered User
 
Owryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,676
From a family members experience,I can make this comment. An aunty of mine lives in kilkenny, 2 years ago her daughter left a lit candle in the window. Long story short fire brigade called out to fight a fire in the bedroom.

Some weeks later she got a bil for €750 . As she was on disability the council waived most of it as she was on welfare but she was forced to pay a portion as the cause of the fire was deemed as "negligence".

I would assume it will be a similar arrangement , if you are on welfare or below a certain income the fee will be reduced or waived.

In the event the fire is caused by arson or criminal action then if someone is convicted of thr offence then they are billed.

Thats pretty much how it works in Carlow and Kilkenny,
Owryan is offline  
20-12-2011, 11:53   #56
Dermot Illogical
Registered User
 
Dermot Illogical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: <i>Tower</i> of Pisa
Posts: 2,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagecabbages View Post
I am also annoyed that people expect something for free when others have to pay for it.
Not half as annoying as people being expected to pay for the same thing multiple times. There should be no charge anywhere for the proper use of any emergency services.
Dermot Illogical is offline  
Thanks from:
20-12-2011, 12:02   #57
markpb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 6,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagecabbages View Post
I am also annoyed that people expect something for free when others have to pay for it.
Why? Each county and city can chose to provide whatever services it wants to its citizens. They can choose to charge for them or make them free. Dublin City council choose not to charge for fire services to anyone in the four Dublin counties. If your local authority, run by people you elected wants to charge, that's up to them. You can a) vote out those councillors and vote for people who agree with you or b) move somewhere else. That's how democracy works.
markpb is offline  
20-12-2011, 15:23   #58
savagecabbages
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
Why? Each county and city can chose to provide whatever services it wants to its citizens. They can choose to charge for them or make them free. Dublin City council choose not to charge for fire services to anyone in the four Dublin counties. If your local authority, run by people you elected wants to charge, that's up to them. You can a) vote out those councillors and vote for people who agree with you or b) move somewhere else. That's how democracy works.
So we can expect loads of people to either leave Dublin or bring down the councilors?

Don't know if people understand the point i was making or not, I'm annoyed that people don't give a crap that fire services charge elsewhere in the same country, but as soon as a similar practice is suggested in their area they are up in arms over it...


Btw I don't think any emergency services should charge anywhere in the country for genuine calls.
savagecabbages is offline  
20-12-2011, 15:32   #59
markpb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 6,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagecabbages View Post
Don't know if people understand the point i was making or not, I'm annoyed that people don't give a crap that fire services charge elsewhere in the same country, but as soon as a similar practice is suggested in their area they are up in arms over it...
It doesn't really matter what happens in the rest of the country, fire services are provided by your local authority, not the government.

Quote:
Btw I don't think any emergency services should charge anywhere in the country for genuine calls.
I agree totally.
markpb is offline  
14-01-2012, 11:34   #60
dfbemt
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dublin Northside 105ft ASL
Posts: 1,363
Covered on the Joe Duffy Show yesterday afternoon.

Decent enough show for Liveline. Some very good points made.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/...2D01%2D2012%3A

Last edited by dfbemt; 14-01-2012 at 11:53.
dfbemt is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet