Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-02-2012, 11:08   #1006
lxflyer

The stages are at the bottom of the appropriate timetable - the 46a timetable is here.

Deansgrange Cross is stage 56, while the appropriate stage for the stop before Fosters Avenue is stage 65 (Stillorgan Road - Seafield Road), being the nearest stage after that stop.

9 stages = Leap Fare of EUR 1.95

The EUR 1.70 fare expired at Stillorgan Road (Mount Merrion Avenue).

From the Dublin Bus website:

Quote:
Stages

The number of stages travelled is calculated by deducting the boarding stage number from the alighting stage number
Passengers boarding between stage points pay the appropriate fare from the preceding stage point. Passengers alighting between stage points pay the appropriate fare to the next stage point.
All route stages are listed under the timetables.

Last edited by lxflyer; 15-02-2012 at 11:11.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-02-2012, 12:06   #1007
Seaswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
I've never heard of that happening before, did the driver call him back as he was getting off?
yes. thats exactly what happened. if you look at the times on his Leap Card it shows getting on at 18:30 and charged the extra 25c at 18:48..
Thanks from:
15-02-2012, 19:12   #1008
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswimmer View Post
Yes. thats exactly what happened. if you look at the times on his Leap Card it shows getting on at 18:30 and charged the extra 25c at 18:48..
Although it may sound cataclysmic,what Seaswimmers son experienced was being "excessed".

It's a simple procedure which has tended to be used by Inspectors in the excercise of discretion rather than issuing a Standard Fare of €50.

However it may also be used by an observant (or interested) driver as happened here,however in my experience it tends to be used where a passenger voluntarily approaches a Driver to advise of a change in their destination.
(3) thanks from:
18-02-2012, 10:43   #1009
Groinshot

I got on yesterday on parnell square when it was raining, as I didn't want to walk back to nassau street in it, asked for a city centre, and was charged 1.95, driver said "Oops".
18-02-2012, 16:36   #1010
Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groinshot View Post
I got on yesterday on parnell square when it was raining, as I didn't want to walk back to nassau street in it, asked for a city centre, and was charged 1.95, driver said "Oops".
He should have cancelled the transaction there and then and charged you the correct amount.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-02-2012, 18:00   #1011
Steve Allen

Missus has just been told that you have to state the fare and not the destination when getting on a bus. Make up your mind lads. He charged €1.95 as a default, thankfully that was the correct fare.
18-02-2012, 19:02   #1012
Groinshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Allen View Post
Missus has just been told that you have to state the fare and not the destination when getting on a bus. Make up your mind lads. He charged €1.95 as a default, thankfully that was the correct fare.
Not helpful. The "City Centre" is a fare, it's 50 cent on a leap card, or 60 cent without one.
@Victor, I wasn't in the mood for arguing, but he should have offered I thought :/
18-02-2012, 19:07   #1013
antoinolachtnai

Send a message via AIM to antoinolachtnai Send a message via Yahoo to antoinolachtnai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Allen View Post
Wrong I think. The LEAP leaflet states that the correct way to do it is to state your destination. This indication is binding under the Dublin Bus by law.
(2) thanks from:
19-02-2012, 13:40   #1014
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinolachtnai View Post
Wrong I think. The LEAP leaflet states that the correct way to do it is to state your destination. This indication is binding under the Dublin Bus by law.
Correct,as Antoin states,the requirement is to State the intended destination and tender the appropriate fare.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/...ye-Laws/Fares/

Quote:
Each passenger when boarding a vehicle operated by a driver only shall:
(a) inform the driver of his intended destination, and
(b) except the passenger is already in possession of a valid ticket, pay the appropriate fare for such journey and ensure that he has been issued with a valid ticket and retain such ticket, and
(c) produce his ticket for inspection by an authorised person whenever so requested by such person and inform him of the place at which he boarded the vehicle and the journey he has made or intends to make.
Advertisement
19-02-2012, 14:49   #1015
dave13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekSmart View Post
Correct,as Antoin states,the requirement is to State the intended destination and tender the appropriate fare.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/...ye-Laws/Fares/
Only problem being bus drivers don't seem to know the correct fare when its borderline From beside my house to O'Connell St is 3 stages but if I state O'connel st I am invairably charged 1.70 and on one occasion 1.95.
I've started just stating the fare now
(2) thanks from:
19-02-2012, 15:28   #1016
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Only problem being bus drivers don't seem to know the correct fare when its borderline From beside my house to O'Connell St is 3 stages but if I state O'connel st I am invairably charged 1.70 and on one occasion 1.95.
I've started just stating the fare now
Yes Dave13,given the ongoing refusal of the Company to reinstate it's own Fare Stage markings,it's entirely possible that some drivers are unaware of exact stage locations.

However it's also entirely possible that passengers may also be incorrect in this respect.

There is no "borderline",as you state.

A Fare Stage system is,by definition,a precisely defined method of determining the fare.
Each Fare Stage within the Dublin Bus network has to be a definitive Bus Stop (All of which are now numbered )

One other item of interest for those whose boarding or alighting point is between stage points is the following....

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Ti...e-Information/

Quote:
The number of stages travelled is calculated by deducting the boarding stage number from the alighting stage number

Passengers boarding between stage points pay the appropriate fare from the preceeding stage point. Passengers alighting between stage points pay the appropriate fare to the next stage point.
Without knowing the exact location of the stop "beside" Dave13's house it is impossible to confirm the relevant fare.
19-02-2012, 16:18   #1017
n97 mini

It also really doesn't help that the information on the DB website about the City Centre fare is hopelessly out of date.

It still says 50c, and it lists bus routes that don't exist any more, e.g. the 128.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Global/CCF20Leaflet.pdf
Thanks from:
19-02-2012, 16:49   #1018
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by n97 mini View Post
It also really doesn't help that the information on the DB website about the City Centre fare is hopelessly out of date.

It still says 50c, and it lists bus routes that don't exist any more, e.g. the 128.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Global/CCF20Leaflet.pdf
The LeapCard CityCentre Fare remains 50c,whilst the Cash City Centre Zone Fare is 60c.

However,n97 Mini is quite correct in relation to the CCFZ Public Information which is somewhat significantly at variance with what's on-the-streets.

The Zone Map (interestingly no longer referenced on the web-site) quite clearly identified the relevant Bus Stops between which the CCF was valid....however in several cases the on-street hardware directly contradicted the written word.

The 4 and 7 routes for example where the Map clearly states Clare St,Outside Cafe Sol (N0:494) whilst a CCFZ Pink Sign is firmly riveted to the Bus Shelter at Merrion Square/Holles St(NO:493)

Either the printed word is wrong or the CCFZ plate is on the wrong Bustop.

Confusion..? you bet.

Last edited by AlekSmart; 19-02-2012 at 16:58.
Thanks from:
19-02-2012, 17:15   #1019
AlekSmart

Given the thread-title here and it's particular relevance to Leap Card I find one aspect of Leapcard's introduction quite perplexing.

At this point some two months after Leapcards introduction there has to my knowledge been any attempt to seek feedback/suggestions from the only Human Operative Interface involved-The Busdriver.

It is beyond my understanding that the NTA/RPA/Leapcard have seemingly relied upon statistics and customer complaints to reach any conclusions on the efficacy (or otherwise) of Leapcard.

This,in spite of continuing observations from Busdrivers on the slow recognition speed and poor physical layout of the Ticket Machines themselves.....do the proprietors feel the Busdrivers inputs to be irrelevant ?

It all appears to be a very odd method of developing what is proposed as a mass market revolutionary travel payment method
Thanks from:
19-02-2012, 22:22   #1020
steamengine

From the punter's perspective I would suggest the Leap card works ok for the majority of bus passengers. On the few occasions I've presented mine to the reader and stating my destination to the driver, the machine has read the card quicker than it would take to pop a load of change into the chute. No beeps though or on the last occasion no display to indicate the transaction had taken place. On reading my transaction history though all was in order. So while all the bells and whistles such as audible or visual registry, or a 'tag off' facility, are not in place, there doesn't seem to be any major operational issues with the 'Leap' on Dublin bus from the passengers perspective. In fact it's great in one way as you don't have to be concerned about having the correct fare in change any longer.

Last edited by steamengine; 19-02-2012 at 22:39.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion