"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread - Page 16 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-12-2011, 10:22   #226
Shelli2

Thanks, looks like a stroll up to Abbey Street so.
Advertisement
12-12-2011, 10:37   #227
SandyfordGuy
Closed Account

Dublin Bus not really writing much about it are they? I saw they answered someone on Twitter and told them to look at the article about fares information on their site which is not where you would look for info on the leap card really.

At least LUAS and Irish rail have a news article exactly about the Leap Card and it isn't buried - hopefully Dublin Bus will post an article up about this and make it clear the benefits, unless they are worried about loss of revenue.
12-12-2011, 10:43   #228
Flukey

Send a message via Yahoo to Flukey
I topped up mine online over the weekend. The procedure then is to get the top-up credited to the card within 7 days. This can be done at places like the Luas machines or Payzone etc. I went into one of the Payzone shops this morning and they had not got it operational. I tried a second one and after a bit of consultations between the staff, it got credited. I still have my annual Bus and Luas to run until the end of December, so I can quietly put the Leap Card away until January now and stay clear of the carnage that is going to be on Dublin Bus with this.

As I was getting my card credited, they were discussing Leap on Morning Ireland. I didn't hear it all clearly, so I am not 100% sure who the speaker on behalf of it was. However he did say, in response to an article in one of the papers last week, that all the issues had been sorted out. These were mainly with Dublin Bus and drivers not being sure how to deal with it and double charging etc., but according to the spokesman it is all fine now. As I said, I didn't hear it all so it's possible I missed him saying how Leap will also be acceptable for people wanting to travel on flying pigs.
12-12-2011, 12:20   #229
coylemj

@IrishRail just posted on Twitter as follows...

If you already have a rail only ePurse smartcard, you can switch to @LeapCard for free. More info here: http://t.co/EsHgmalp

What about people with IR SMartcards who took part in the Leap trial and now have two cards?
12-12-2011, 12:34   #230
SandyfordGuy
Closed Account

My IR smartcard has virtually nothing on it, so I'm just using the trial leap card going forward and keping the IR one back for emergencies such as when I can't top my leap card up and I need to use Irish Rail, as Leap can't be topped up from Irish Rail ticket machines at the moment.
Advertisement
12-12-2011, 12:40   #231
monument

You can get all the cards you have changed into Leap cards for free (Leap cards are worth €5 without travel credit).

You don't even seem to need to send in your old cards, so they can be kept for sentimental reasons?
12-12-2011, 12:42   #232
robd

Quote:
Originally Posted by monument View Post
You can get all the cards you have changed into Leap cards for free (Leap cards are worth €5 without travel credit).

You don't even seem to need to send in your old cards, so they can be kept for sentimental reasons?
You cant't transfer credit from Irish Rail or Luas card to Leap Card. So you need to keep them to use of the credit. Hence it seems you can forever keep them for sentimental reasons.

No date yet for when these cards will be turned of or if they will even be turned off.
12-12-2011, 12:50   #233
SandyfordGuy
Closed Account

Well as of today it is no longer possible to buy either an Irish Rail or LUAS smart card. They have been withdrawn from sale and I heard that they will be wound down in the coming months.
12-12-2011, 12:54   #234
wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd View Post
No date yet for when these cards will be turned of or if they will even be turned off.
Luas have updated the smartcard t&c today, and it says that topups will be disabled in 3 months, and usage 3 months after that
Advertisement
12-12-2011, 13:07   #235
monument

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd View Post
You cant't transfer credit from Irish Rail or Luas card to Leap Card. So you need to keep them to use of the credit. Hence it seems you can forever keep them for sentimental reasonsp.
Use the credit first.
12-12-2011, 13:30   #236
SteM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukey View Post
I topped up mine online over the weekend. The procedure then is to get the top-up credited to the card within 7 days. This can be done at places like the Luas machines or Payzone etc.
So you pay online but still have to go to a payzone site to get the money credited to the card? What's the logic behind that? If I put money on my account online for my bin collection it goes straight on to my card AND I get a % bonus for using their online system.

This could have been a chance to bring elements of our public transport system into the 21st century. Instead it sounds like this is a system put together with gum and sticky tape, typically Irish.
Thanks from:
12-12-2011, 13:48   #237
KD345

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyfordGuy View Post
Dublin Bus not really writing much about it are they? .
What are you unsure about?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Leapcard/
12-12-2011, 13:53   #238
SandyfordGuy
Closed Account

That was not there earlier for sure. Surprised they didn't put a proper article on the front page about it though rather than hiding it away in the fare rises article.
Thanks from:
12-12-2011, 13:55   #239
SandyfordGuy
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteM View Post
So you pay online but still have to go to a payzone site to get the money credited to the card? What's the logic behind that? If I put money on my account online for my bin collection it goes straight on to my card AND I get a % bonus for using their online system.

This could have been a chance to bring elements of our public transport system into the 21st century. Instead it sounds like this is a system put together with gum and sticky tape, typically Irish.
No, how do you expect your card to be topped up? it doesn't have it's own internet connection after all. You don't need to collect your top up at a LUAS machine either or a paypoint.

You can collect your top up automatically when you tag on at an Irish Rail gate or alternatively at a LUAS validator. Unfortunately the bus does not have a direct connection to the itnernet so how can it know that you have topped up?
12-12-2011, 14:01   #240
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekSmart View Post
Sigh.....Did you seek an annulment ?
No and for the exact reasons Aard describes below. Not wanting to be the plonker who holds up other passengers and also I figured the driver wouldn't know how to do it anyway and would be pissed off.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion