Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Yeah its getting a bit ridiculous now.

Good article though. The first part of it seemed as if the reporter may have been upset that Seanie Johnston wouldn't give him interviews, and seemed to paint him as a guy that got too big for his boots.

Maybe if he came to Kildare McGeeney might rein him in? He might play better if he was part of a team with a few top players on it, instead of being the main man (and having to deal with the pressure that goes with it)?

In any case theres a bit of a mention near the end of this article which says that the CCCC are seeking more information but its likely to go to the DRA. Apparently he was at the Kildare game last week too

Also regarding the residency issue, Martin Breheny reckons it wouldnt be too hard to prove for a secondary school teacher:
    Presumably, that would involve the provision of concrete evidence that he overnights (or is in the early stages of doing so) in Kildare for more than half the year. The target number is 183 nights.

Weekends alone (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) make up 156 nights per year. Add in 16 weeks holidays (another 64 days, excluding weekends), mid-term breaks and Bank Holidays and it comes to around 230 days.

So even if Johnston -- and I'm not suggesting that is the case -- spent the school week in Cavan and the rest of his time in Straffan, he could comfortably claim that Kildare is his main place of residency.

Interesting times ahead....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

No way is that Johnston in that picture.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

is this thread about seanie johnstons transfer or the state of cavan gaa??

two completely different subjects lads.

I thought the thread was about tayto lovers obsession with Val Andrews :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Well Tom there is the original 6 and if my info is correct coming from friends in your own county then the list below would make 10 -
    Seanie Johnston, Cian Mackey, Michael Ling, Dermot Sheridan, Garreth Smith, James Reilly (who has now come back) Alan Clarke (who I am told left and not for the reasons given by you) John Mc Cutcheon, Fintan Reilly as Lemlin stated didn't want to be sub goialkeeper, Mark mcKeever I am told is gone too. It cannot be a happy camp.
    Either way whether its 10 or more/less gone from the panel from last year. That cannot be good for your county even though you say they were bad influences. All of them ? Maybe they were and maybe they were not. Again as I said earlier much of it comes down to man-management and keeping your players with you. As someone else said a mediator should have been brought in to help sort it out.
    Again my only "agenda" with Andrews is that I think he is a very poor manager and I have my own county's experience with him to draw on. A few of us had a bit of a shouting match with him at a game in Dundalk years ago and he came over to us and told us to get behind our county. We told him that many of us hardly missed a county match in over 30 years and that we thought he was ruining our team. He walked off at that. We are entitled to express our opinions and if that's what you call an agenda then it's an agenda. I just don't like his management style and do not consider him a good manager. I can also see from the Cavan H.S. Board that many Cavan supporters also think little of him too. Again if thinking that someone is a bluffer then I have an agenda but to be honest I think you will be discussing his performance yourselves down the road as I believe things will not work out well for your county team under him.

You have spoken about players "walking away" from Val and the panel. You then go on to name 5 players - Seanie Johnston, Cian Mackey, Michael Lyng, Gareth Smith and Dermot Sheridan - who were quite publically not asked back into the panel by Val.

You also went on to name James Reilly who has always been considered for the panel. He just couldn't commit around November/December as he is a blocklayer who has been out of work and had some work on so could not commit. As soon as he could commit, he was back in the panel. So that's 6 in your list of ten gone.

Nothing official has been announced about either Mark McKeever or Alan Clarke leaving the panel. So that's another two gone from your ten. For all we know, Mark McKeever is still training with the panel.

So, we're back down to the two players the Celt named this week - Fintan Reilly and John McCutcheon - and back down to the fact that you again are posting information which is totally incorrect.

Who said a mediator is needed? 2 players have left the panel. Players come and go from panels up and down the country all the time. Val was openly quoted in the paper this week as saying that he is still working with a panel of 41 players so this will inevitably need to be trimmed ahead of the Championship.

So you told Val your opinion by shouting abuse at a game a few years back? I'm not surprised the man walked off. And off you go quoting Hogan Stand again, I don't know how many times it has been said, if I wanted to read the Hogan Stand and address the supporters there, I'd go and do it.

To be honest I still don't believe that you don't have a more personal agenda against him as, for someone who hasn't posted on the GAA Board in about 3,000 or so posts in a year, you feel very strongly on the subject and trying to drag his name through the mud as best you can.

is this thread about seanie johnstons transfer or the state of cavan gaa??

two completely different subjects lads.

I wouldn't agree to be honest.

The circumstances surrounding Johnston's transfer and the state of Cavan football are inextricably linked.

Also, when people have continued to comment on the manager in the county, supporters need to explain the cicrumstances around the stance the manager has taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

There's one particular poster not too dissimilar to a bag of king crisps that's trying to disrupt the thread and he is trying IMO to wind the Cavan fans up here big time!!

I think you should have held onto Seanie Johnson an exceptional forward.
    Please state what questions I have not answered. I have told you why I am of the opinion that V.A. is a poor football manager and man-manager, I am not related to any Louth footballer, V.A.'s record speaks for itself.
    I would not rate our own Peter Fitzpatrick as a great manager either but he is getting there and is good with the players and has them all on board. He also got us to a Leinster Final and I felt we were robbed by a poor refereeing decision. I would also put some of the praise for that run on the previous man, Eamon Mc Eneaney, too.

Here goes:

1. You say Val didn't explain the reasons behind the dropping to players like Johnston. Val made a separate phone call off his own back to these players. What more did you want him to do?
    2. You say Johnston shouldn't have been dropped after a ten second phone call. It has now become known that Johnston ended the call after a period of silence. What more did you want Val to do?
    3. Louth were a poor team when Val arrived. What was particularly so bad about his time there? As I've stated, Louth were knocked out of the qualifers by Monaghan and Galway in his two years there. Would you have expected Louth to beat those?
    4. Andrews left Louth and was not sacked as manager. If he was so bad, why was he not sacked?
    5. You reckon morale is poor in the Cavan camp. Only two players have left. How then have you decided morale is poor?
    6. You stated Val Andrews "promised" promotion to Division 2. Can you now accept you were wrong to state this because, in fact, he stated no such thing.
    7. You said to compare the performancs of Cavan aginst Longford in the Championship at Breffni last year and in the League this year at Breffni is naive. As the game was against the same opposition in the same location, how is it naive?
    8. You said Cavan only had a week between the Donegal and Longford games last year. They had 13 days or nearly two weeks. Do you now concede you stating they had 7 days betwen games was incorrect?
    9. Seanie Johnston was stripped of the captaincy by his own club last year and dropped for their initial championship games. You have failed to acknowledge this at all when I mentioned it. Are you now happy to acknowledge that obviously Johnston was having problems even at his own club last year?
    10. You stated that you could name ten players who "walked" away from Andrews and the panel. Do you now accept you were incorrect to state this?

Please number your replies so I know which query you are replying too. Don't want you to miss any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

ColHol wrote: »
    ..........., Martin Breheny ........

A man, who is just a journalist, not reporting, giving his opinion, but who is given far too much credence for what he writes. Some of the cr4p he writes should never make it into print. His piece on the Seanie Johnston saga was pathetic.

(e.g. How could Seanie Johnston claim residence, under the Martin Breheny "rules", i.e. 183 days residency? It would be this time next year before poor Seanie would have clocked up the necessary days in Kildare.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭celt262

Cavan played Leitrim on 3G last night.

1keith fannin
    2Barry watters
    3mickey brennan
    4darragh tighe
    5kevin meehan
    6joey jordan
    7Robert Maloney
    8cullivan
    9Sean gaffney
    10declan meehan
    11declan mc keirnan
    12mc keever
    13c Mc clarey
    14R galligan
    15M dunne

2:11 to 1:13 to cavan

celt262 wrote: »
    Cavan played Leitrim on 3G last night.

1keith fannin
    2Barry watters
    3mickey brennan
    4darragh tighe
    5kevin meehan
    6joey jordan
    7Robert Maloney
    8cullivan
    9Sean gaffney
    10declan meehan
    11declan mc keirnan
    12mc keever
    13c Mc clarey
    14R galligan
    15M dunne

2:11 to 1:13 to cavan
    no offense but what has that to do with this thread?

sick of getting emails with updates of people not discussing the topic inhand.

before someone says disable the email alert i have an interest in this thread as a kildare man so no i wont.. maybe someone should start a cavan gaa thread to discuss everything being talked about in this thread??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Kildare could have done with someone who could have scored last night

A massive 1-2 in the 2nd half and downed by 3 goals from 2 Ballymun men.

Carlsberg don't do Friday nights but if they did...............................

dcr22B wrote: »

We still beat the dubs a few weeks ago:D

Carlsberg don't do obyrne cup semi finals but if they did ..................

On a serious note I agree the forwards are very hit and miss on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

We still beat the dubs a few weeks ago:D

Carlsberg don't do obyrne cup semi finals but if they did ..................

What do you call a Kildare man with an All Ireland medal??......An antiques dealer.:D:D:D

3 of the 6 forwards were making their debut last night. We scored enough to beat you shower and thats what matters. ;)

blackbelt wrote: »
    What do you call a Kildare man with an All Ireland medal??......An antiques dealer.:D:D:D
    What do you call a donkey with an All Ireland medal?......Eoghan O'Gara.

What do you call a dub without a criminal record black belt??

A rare occurance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

A rare occurance

and this is on topic? :pac:

bruschi wrote: »
    and this is on topic? :pac:

When provoked by a mod retaliate like a mad man son ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭celt262

before someone says disable the email alert i have an interest in this thread as a kildare man so no i wont.. maybe someone should start a cavan gaa thread to discuss everything being talked about in this thread??

Well when you have to put a forward in goals and a one at full back it is another example of the skills of the manager.

• Advertisement

What do you call a donkey with an All Ireland medal?......Eoghan O'Gara.

It is funny because it is true.:D
    A donkey has more All Ireland medals than the Kildare team.:D

A rare occurance

What do you call a Kildare forward that actually score??

.....Pending :D

Tayto Lover said Mark McKeever had left the Cavan panel. This starting line-up shows he has not so therefore its relevant. It shows a poster was, yet again, totally incorrect.

As I already said, Johnston and the topic of Cavan GAA are inextrricably linked so both are going to be discussed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Lemlin wrote: »
    Tayto Lover said Mark McKeever had left the Cavan panel. This starting line-up shows he has not so therefore its relevant. It shows a poster was, yet again, totally incorrect.

As I already said, Johnston and the topic of Cavan GAA are inextrricably linked so both are going to be discussed here.

Well said, how can we have a discussion about Johnston leaving without talking about the state of Cavan GAA, especially when ridiculous statements are being made about players leaving the panel etc, etc - although there has been silence on that front for a while. :pac:

Its not often Cavan football gets a look in:)

What do you call a Kildare forward that actually score??

.....Pending :D

They still managed to our score you lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lemlin wrote: »
    Here goes:

1. You say Val didn't explain the reasons behind the dropping to players like Johnston. Val made a separate phone call off his own back to these players. What more did you want him to do?
    2. You say Johnston shouldn't have been dropped after a ten second phone call. It has now become known that Johnston ended the call after a period of silence. What more did you want Val to do?
    3. Louth were a poor team when Val arrived. What was particularly so bad about his time there? As I've stated, Louth were knocked out of the qualifers by Monaghan and Galway in his two years there. Would you have expected Louth to beat those?
    4. Andrews left Louth and was not sacked as manager. If he was so bad, why was he not sacked?
    5. You reckon morale is poor in the Cavan camp. Only two players have left. How then have you decided morale is poor?
    6. You stated Val Andrews "promised" promotion to Division 2. Can you now accept you were wrong to state this because, in fact, he stated no such thing.
    7. You said to compare the performancs of Cavan aginst Longford in the Championship at Breffni last year and in the League this year at Breffni is naive. As the game was against the same opposition in the same location, how is it naive?
    8. You said Cavan only had a week between the Donegal and Longford games last year. They had 13 days or nearly two weeks. Do you now concede you stating they had 7 days betwen games was incorrect?
    9. Seanie Johnston was stripped of the captaincy by his own club last year and dropped for their initial championship games. You have failed to acknowledge this at all when I mentioned it. Are you now happy to acknowledge that obviously Johnston was having problems even at his own club last year?
    10. You stated that you could name ten players who "walked" away from Andrews and the panel. Do you now accept you were incorrect to state this?

Please number your replies so I know which query you are replying too. Don't want you to miss any.

1 I believe that a phone call is the wrong and easy way to inform players of such a major decision. It is not manly at all. A manager should meet players face to face and inform them of his decision.
    2 Johnston may have terminated the call but it was an incorrect way for Val Andrews to inform him he was being dropped. The fact that others were told the same way is neither here nor there in my opinion. They all should have been told face to face and not in a cowardly way.
    3 Louth were indeed a poor enough team when he arrived but they progressively got worse under him. I know as I attended all their games.
    4 4. It was well known that V.A. jumped before he was pushed. It was coming and he knew that.
    5 I know someone quite close to a member of your County Board who shall remain nameless. He tells me that things are not right and that players are not happy. While maybe only two have walked I am told there will be more. We will have to “watch this space”.
    6 I already rowed back on this but he did say he expected to get into Div 2. He has no chance.
    7 Yes I said your comparison with the two Longford games was naive and a bit silly. You failed to compare the two Wexford games where you lost by 2 points last year and by 5 this year, was that progress ? This is a naive kind of argument as I already said. Andrews used it too – naive.
    8 I was wrong on that as I thought you played the following week. My bad there.
    9 I don’t know why Seanie was dropped by Cavan Gaels. Might have had any kind of reason for that. Was the reason made public ? If so perhaps you would provide a link.
    10 10. Now this is the sneaky thing you did in putting inverted commas on the word walked. I never used that word at all. I used the word “gone” and I provided the list to Tom Joad, many of the names were of players dropped by V.A. and some who walked. I did name McKeever as I had seen a post on Cavan H.S. including his name. But there are 9 players gone from last year’s panel and I fear there may be more under this manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Well said, how can we have a discussion about Johnston leaving without talking about the state of Cavan GAA, especially when ridiculous statements are being made about players leaving the panel etc, etc - although there has been silence on that front for a while. :pac:

Its not often Cavan football gets a look in:)

"Blessed are those who have seen yet not believed "

A rare occurance

Is your mother or father not from Dublin?:)

Is your mother or father not from Dublin?:)

Yes my father is strange stalker man :D

He is a rare occurrence and refuses to cheer for Dublin he follows Kildare with his sons.

On topic again anyone any more info re Johnston?? I know he is training with local club near straffan but I am unsure what way this will go??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

No way is that Johnston in that picture.

Just on this; That is Johnston with his clubmate Kevin Meehan to his left and possibly Martin Dunne to his right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement