Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-11-2011, 16:41   #46
STB
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by firkin View Post
Actually having read that thread you posted thats where I got my info from. You yourself posted that Group B was for DTT.

That link you posted clearly recommends Group B for DTT.

The point I'm making (and I think your post has proved) is RTE NL's communication is dire and needs fixing. I don't think you can argue with that?
I recommended a Wideband actually.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...79&postcount=8

I dont disagree that it is a bit of a mess though.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-11-2011, 16:49   #47
The Cush

Quote:
I can't believe to this day they still have that misleading and seriously deficient document on the web site.

There's no excuse for it. It would take 5 mins to annotate that PDF and upload it to their web site.

Its either incompetence or laziness or both.
In my opinion it may be neither, more likely international coordination with the UK (Ofcom) hadn't been completed but with the information on the retunes now released the DTT plan may now be finalised. I would expect the DTT frequency guide to be published in due course if this is the case.

Quote:
From the tit-for-tat replies you were giving me I thought you were on their side. Glad to hear we're on the same page
I'm not on anyone's side but my own and post based on information in the public domain.
Thanks from:
16-11-2011, 16:50   #48
STB
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
I posted that information from the Comreg source document here a few weeks ago.

The thing is that information is the Comreg licensed max coordinted ERPs for each of the sites but may not be the actual ERP used for the sites by RTÉNL. If you compare the analogue information from the document with the actual RTÉNL information there can be a difference.

We don't know the actual ERPs until RTÉNL publish the information similar to the analogue frequency list.
Wasnt aware that it had been posted it previously.

But yeah they are the maximum licensed ERPs. RTE will be using the max in those cases, but not in all cases right now as they have analogue Txs operating in tandom from a number of towers. Come ASO there will be significant power increases IMO.
16-11-2011, 17:00   #49
firkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB View Post
Ahh, you may have recommended wideband but RTE NL didn't.

Quote:
I dont disagree that it is a bit of a mess though.
And that's my point exactly
16-11-2011, 17:01   #50
The Cush

Quote:
But yeah they are the maximum licensed ERPs. RTE will be using the max in those cases, but not in all cases right now as they have analogue Txs operating in tandom from a number of towers. Come ASO there will be significant power increases IMO.
According to RTÉNL at a pre launch Saorview trade event in Apr(?) almost all DTT sites are at full power except those with NI overspill until ASO. But we don't know what ERP they're at until they publish the information.
Advertisement
16-11-2011, 17:08   #51
firkin

Quote:
In my opinion it may be neither, more likely international coordination with the UK (Ofcom) hadn't been completed but with the information on the retunes now released the DTT plan may now be finalised. I would expect the DTT frequency guide to be published in due course if this is the case.
It's no excuse for not amending that "television frequencies" PDF with a simple health warning that the freqencies are for Analogue TV and DTT is different but due to international coordination issues with the UK we cant post the DTT frequencies until some time in the future [or whatever the reason]

Quote:
I'm not on anyone's side but my own
Here, here
16-11-2011, 17:17   #52
The Cush

Quote:
Ahh, you may have recommended wideband but RTE NL didn't.
RTÉNL recommended a wideband aerial in the Receiving DTT brochure in Apr 2009 for reception of both analogue and DTT from Mt Leinster.
16-11-2011, 17:23   #53
Gerry Wicklow

@ firkin
i think by now the general consensus is that there has been nothing but inaccurate, misleading and inadequate information from RTÉ / RTÉnl and their various spokespeople/ experts (Gay Byrne, Pat Kenny etc). Considering the way they dug their heels in with the mess in Mt Leinster, it's about all we can expect from them
Thanks from:
16-11-2011, 17:26   #54
firkin

Quote:
RTÉNL recommended a wideband aerial in the Receiving DTT brochure in Apr 2009 for reception of both analogue and DTT from Mt Leinster.
I was specifically replying to:
Quote:
Firkin,

RTE NL have always advised a Wideband aerial for Mt Leinster. It has come up before. My post here with the picture is from the Saorview Aerial guide for consumers.
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...7&postcount=14
That table doesn't recomend wideband for DTT. It recommends Group B for DTT or wideband for Analogue and DTT combined.

I have no idea where you came across that "Receiving DTT brochure in Apr 2009". I certainly never saw it.

Last edited by firkin; 16-11-2011 at 17:28.
Advertisement
16-11-2011, 17:27   #55
firkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Wicklow View Post
@ firkin
i think by now the general consensus is that there has been nothing but inaccurate, misleading and inadequate information from RTÉ / RTÉnl and their various spokespeople/ experts (Gay Byrne, Pat Kenny etc). Considering the way they dug their heels in with the mess in Mt Leinster, it's about all we can expect from them
Consensus !! Not by the way The Cush keeps popping off the replies
16-11-2011, 17:32   #56
mrdtv2010

Sanity prevails at last in the Mount Leinster/Preseli standoff. Shame it hadn't been thought through from the start: it was obvious that the DTT coverage would match the analogue coverage given the efficiencies of COFDM systems at 7dB below peak analogue ERPs.
On an incidental note the change of the Mount Leinster frequencies will remove any CCI between Mount Leinster and Kilkeel post DSO which is 39, 42 and 45. I see from DUK's site its being reengineered today.
16-11-2011, 20:14   #57
egal

I refer to post #38.

I notice a big difference in the powers of PSB 01 and PSB 02 from Clermont. Why is that?
16-11-2011, 21:32   #58
The Cush

Quote:
Originally Posted by egal View Post
I notice a big difference in the powers of PSB 01 and PSB 02 from Clermont. Why is that?
Asked here previously also, typo?
16-11-2011, 22:03   #59
Ambp

What's labeled as RTÉ Pulse is currently picking up RTÉ Radio 1, retuned and still having the same problem
16-11-2011, 23:06   #60
Sponge Bob
Banned

Quote:
I posted that information from the Comreg source document here a few weeks ago.
There are 60 transmitters there Cush ( counting 2 x Bantry as 1) , when did they start rolling out more of them...by the way the new ones seem to be PSB1 only, eg Timoleague and Greenore. ???

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion