Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

13-03-2012, 22:47   #9136
hibees99
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyw1965 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibees99 View Post
2000 euros for 1 night in a 2 star hotel??????

this stuff about other places ripping us off is crap

poland are abusing fans and thats a fact
Where did you see that?

I haven't seen anything like that for a 2 star hotel anywhere. Methinks you exaggerate a little??

Sure, there are places looking for ridiculous prices and it is a rip off. But it does happen in lots of places to varying degrees including here!
http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/programm...for-euro-2012/

Wasnt this exact hotel but this proves it, normally people might double the price but poland have taken the p, its pure greed!!!

They should never get any type of major event again for doing this,
Advertisement
13-03-2012, 22:58   #9137
KCW12

Quote:
Originally Posted by okidoki987 View Post
Looks like it.
Have seen that they have been warned about the Q/Finals onwards regarding their prices.
Based on the number of tickets that have been available for the Group matches in the Ukraine, it doesn't look good for the rest of the matches there after the Group stages.
Yeh QF/Semi tickets just sitting on the Resale Platform all the time, and a lot of fans wont travel to the knockout stages in the Ukraine id they cant afford to stay anywhere. But i just cant picture the stadiums being half-empty for big knockout matches like quarters and semis, by some way or another im sure UEFA will make sure they are well attended.
13-03-2012, 22:59   #9138
Tigerandahalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearrbhach View Post
Was just planning to park on the side of the road in quite places where ever we can. Could this be a problem?? would we have to stay in caravan parks?
I wouldn't do that. If you are towed away you will pay big bucks to get your camper back. The authorities there will be expecting this and they will take a hard line on it. Otherwise the whole place would be blocked up with campers. Also if the camper was damaged or stolen you would have to pay as your insurance would not be valid as you didn't park the camper in a designated camper area.
13-03-2012, 22:59   #9139
Martyw1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibees99 View Post
http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/programm...for-euro-2012/

Wasnt this exact hotel but this proves it, normally people might double the price but poland have taken the p, its pure greed!!!

They should never get any type of major event again for doing this,
Fair enough mate! You're right, there are a few daft prices out there. And many others not as bad but way too high for most normal fans.

But the point is there are many many other options there for much less. Only gob****es will pay 2k a night.

They probably see UEFA ripping us off with the prices of tickets and think its fair game.

Try to stick to places within striking distance of the matches for good value as others here have said.
13-03-2012, 22:59   #9140
hibees99
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearrbhach View Post
hi guys been following the tread for days, some great advice here.
Four of us are travelling over in a camper. Was just planning to park on the side of the road in quite places where ever we can. Could this be a problem?? would we have to stay in caravan parks?

I hate the portal, it is consuming me and will probable cost me my job
Dont think anything wuld stop u parking in a quiet street for the night but think ud be safer in the caravan Park,
Advertisement
13-03-2012, 23:09   #9141
Tigerandahalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW12 View Post
Yeh QF/Semi tickets just sitting on the Resale Platform all the time, and a lot of fans wont travel to the knockout stages in the Ukraine id they cant afford to stay anywhere. But i just cant picture the stadiums being half-empty for big knockout matches like quarters and semis, by some way or another im sure UEFA will make sure they are well attended.
There is talk that university campuses will be opened up to cater for fans. Tent villages may also be opened up. However, accommodation will still not be cheap. These places won't open up without getting a good deal. It's the Ukraine that will lose out in the end..they have an absolutely brilliant opportunity to showcase their country to the world. Looking online some of their cities look really nice but corruption is a huge problem in that country. The former prime minister was recently jailed because of corruption (or so they say). She's rather hot too!

Last edited by Tigerandahalf; 13-03-2012 at 23:14.
(2) thanks from:
13-03-2012, 23:10   #9142
Martyw1965

Saw Cat3s up for the final there a while back and tried unsuccessfully to grab them.

Don't know why! Would probably not have a chance of going anyway - its just that I love seeing rare tickets up after all these months....

Just shows how this portal addiction can affect you...... I need a holiday!
Thanks from:
13-03-2012, 23:17   #9143
KCW12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerandahalf View Post
There is talk that university campuses will be opened up to cater for fans. Tent villages may also be opened up. However, accommodation will still not be cheap. These places won't open up without getting a good deal. It's the Ukraine that will lose out in the end..they have an absolutely brilliant opportunity to showcase their country to the world. Looking online some of their cities look really nice but corruption is a huge problem in that country. The former prime minister was recently jailed because of corruption (or so they say).
Yeh i couldn't agree more, they are the ones who will lose out. They got a great draw by getting the Germans, Dutch, English, Swedes and Danes, all well supported nations but i bet a lot of those wont travel just because of cost, i like seeing tournis going to new places but this is one risk that at the moment might backfire. Its around this time that im guessing most fans who are on the fence about going to the Euros finally make their mind up. Just wish group B with Germany, Holland, Portugal and Denmark was within travelling distance from poland as there is some potentially great games there, defo wouldve been tempted to get tickets for NED-GER and POR-GER if it was!
Thanks from:
13-03-2012, 23:34   #9144
Limestone1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbagman View Post
are they charging 400-500% mark ups for paddies weekend?I seriously doubt it,iv seen hotels going for thousands for a couple of nights that wouldnt cost 30e a night normally over there,fair enough let them make a few pound off the tournament but thats taking the piss

They did for the Ryder Cup .....................
Advertisement
13-03-2012, 23:44   #9145
dbagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limestone1 View Post
They did for the Ryder Cup .....................
no they didnt,im from maynooth and know for a fact they didnt down my way and we're only over the road from kclub.plus i know people that rented out their homes in the town for that and wasnt anywhere near as expensive as some of the prices iv seen for poland.
13-03-2012, 23:59   #9146
dohboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbagman View Post
no they didnt,im from maynooth and know for a fact they didnt down my way and we're only over the road from kclub.plus i know people that rented out their homes in the town for that and wasnt anywhere near as expensive as some of the prices iv seen for poland.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1527...p-rip-off.html

It happened. People need to get off their high horse over Euro 2012 rip-off merchants. It happens at ALL major tournaments/sporting events and if you're foolish enough to pay 2k for a hotel room rather than search for some value, then be off with you.
Thanks from:
14-03-2012, 00:01   #9147
Tigerandahalf

For those thinking of renting a camper, maybe you should just rent a car and stay in places like Torun or Bydgosk (sp?). In those place you would get hostels for around €30 pppn. Parking the camper seems to be costing a lot especially if there are only a few of you using it.
14-03-2012, 00:12   #9148
dbagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohboy View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1527...p-rip-off.html

It happened. People need to get off their high horse over Euro 2012 rip-off merchants. It happens at ALL major tournaments/sporting events and if you're foolish enough to pay 2k for a hotel room rather than search for some value, then be off with you.
gotta love sensationalism in journalism.
"Some owners of houses near the K Club, the Michael Smurfit-owned Co Kildare golf course hosting the event next month, have attempted to rent out their properties for tens of thousands of pounds for the week."

Tens of thousands of pounds?I know for a fact this is not true(as stated above) being from so close to it I know plenty of people who did this and didnt get anywhere near 1000 for the week let alone "tens of thousands"
The point here is not peoples stupidity in paying 2k for a hotel,its the fact that most places are charging these sums.Im months trying to get accom for a decent price.Another little piece from that article says "The imminent arrival of Tiger Woods and the other leading American golfers has seen hotel bills in Dublin shoot up by 24 per cent"
Wow,24% compared to the 1900% in the article about ukraine above,anyway this is a pointless and completely off topic conversation for the portal thread
14-03-2012, 00:32   #9149
adamski8

portal must have been quiet tonight, thought this was the travel plans thread for a while there
14-03-2012, 00:44   #9150
dbagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamski8 View Post
portal must have been quiet tonight, thought this was the travel plans thread for a while there
lol,yeah not a thing all day is that a sign there could be a batch coming up?Or we're goosed and no tickets left
Thread Closed