Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-11-2011, 14:49   #31
iphone4g

How do any of ye know than an insurance company won't pay out if the car was left ticking over on private property?

I don't thing they would have much choice,if that was the case there would be no point of us having any type of insurance.
Advertisement
07-11-2011, 14:55   #32
Zulu

It's fairly obvious.

You leave a car open with the engine running & the keys in it. Why would the insurance pay out?
07-11-2011, 14:59   #33
Traumadoc

Sure you could expand that to leaving a window open, or not turning on the house alarm.
Voids the insurance??

The car was stolen. End of story.
07-11-2011, 15:03   #34
Zulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadoc View Post
Sure you could expand that to leaving a window open, or not turning on the house alarm.
Voids the insurance??

The car was stolen. End of story.
Yea you could, and yes it does! If you have an alarm and it's not turned on you mighn't be covered at all - especially if you are getting a lower preimum for having an alarm.

Check the small print.
Thanks from:
07-11-2011, 15:13   #35
R.O.R

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone4g View Post
How do any of ye know than an insurance company won't pay out if the car was left ticking over on private property?

I don't thing they would have much choice,if that was the case there would be no point of us having any type of insurance.
Yes - happened to a customer of ours last year. Company had to pay us for the total loss of the car as the Insurance company wouldn't cover the car, that was left unlocked, with the engine running, on the driver's driveway. Expensive lesson for all involved, driver ended up just about keeping her job, but was on a final written warning.

Back on topic - I'll keep an eye out for it OP. Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up in the general vacinity of our office

Just in case the plates have been changed, is there anything that would make it stand out? Does it still have the 520d badge on the back, or just an M? Standard 18" wheels, or the upgraded 19"?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-11-2011, 15:24   #36
Limerick man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophur View Post
It never ceases to amaze why so many people contribute to such threads asking how the car was stolen.

1. It doesn't matter how the car was stolen.
2. The car owner wants her car back. She doesn't need anyone to lecture her on anything she was deemed to have done "wrong".

As for compensation? I hope the car owner gets her car back, or is compensated for it, properly. The car was still stolen, whether the thief had keys, or not.
The reason I would ask or want to know how the car was stolen would be so that I would know infuture myself and try to avoid such a situation. Like now, I never leave my keys within reach of the letterbox.
07-11-2011, 15:29   #37
Gophur
Closed Account

I'm guessing there are a number of BMW looking for flood damaged engines replaced and such a car is heading for a breakers yard.
07-11-2011, 15:35   #38
Try1ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.O.R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone4g View Post

Yes - happened to a customer of ours last year. Company had to pay us for the total loss of the car as the Insurance company wouldn't cover the car, that was left unlocked, with the engine running, on the driver's driveway. Expensive lesson for all involved, driver ended up just about keeping her job, but was on a final written warning.

Back on topic - I'll keep an eye out for it OP. Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up in the general vacinity of our office

Just in case the plates have been changed, is there anything that would make it stand out? Does it still have the 520d badge on the back, or just an M? Standard 18" wheels, or the upgraded 19"?
Thanks guys,
Scrapes over back pas wheel arch, m badge on the boot missing the stripes, no other badges.
Thanks from:
08-11-2011, 12:37   #39
Bearcat
Closed Account

I agree with a previous poster re floods and requirement of Spare parts. I'd say the car is in tiny pieces now. Now I hope not and wish the owner the best in retrieving same but I wouldnt be exactly confident. Yeah I'm a half glass empty merchant but these are the cold facts.
Advertisement
08-11-2011, 12:55   #40
fletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophur View Post
It never ceases to amaze why so many people contribute to such threads asking how the car was stolen.

1. It doesn't matter how the car was stolen.
2. The car owner wants her car back. She doesn't need anyone to lecture her on anything she was deemed to have done "wrong".
Perhaps but it could be a lessons learnt for other people so they could take steps to avoid it happening to them!
08-11-2011, 13:12   #41
EPM
Closed Account

Keep this on topic. The nitpicking is ruining the OP's thread. Only and final warning.
Thanks from:
08-11-2011, 13:37   #42
the culture of deference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try1ng View Post
Thanks guys,
Scrapes over back pas wheel arch, m badge on the boot missing the stripes, no other badges.
I live in celb, sorry to hear about this.

Do these 5 series have a sat./wireless computer link to the BMW main computer.
08-11-2011, 14:41   #43
Buffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try1ng View Post
Thanks guys,
Sorry to hear that OP, I'll keep an eye out for it. If you have any photos of the car, maybe put them up. Especially the previously damaged area if you have any photos of it.
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2011, 15:20   #44
Try1ng

Thanks guys for keeping an eye out.
They say bad luck comes in three's, well 2 down, my own car is now in the garage and needs a new radiator, never rains but it pours.

I wonder if many people have recovered stolen cars, any idea of %?
Gardai said it would normally be parked up somewhere for 7 - 10 days.
08-11-2011, 15:29   #45
Eric Cartman

considering its celbridge id drive down a few of the estates , cant think of the name of the one out on the clane road but a car or 2 has turned up there after being taken from celbridge
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion