Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

30-10-2011, 19:13   #1
Galwaaygirl

CAREER HELP! I'm an unemployed social care worker!

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask if there is anyone on boards.ie who is currently working in social care setting in Toronto? I am looking for some help getting an interview.

I have a Masters degree and 6 years experience and have had only two interviews since I arrived three months ago. I am trying really hard to network, am applying for all positions that I am qualified for etc but nothing is happening for me.

Some Canadian people have suggested that I am not being "aggressive" enough. While I can appreciate that job searching here is very different to what we are used to, I find it difficult to pick up the phone and call to ask how my application is going, especially considering almost every posting (I use charityvillage.com) specifically says no phone calls please.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
30-10-2011, 19:17   #2
Tonto86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galwaaygirl View Post
Hi all,

I just wanted to ask if there is anyone on boards.ie who is currently working in social care setting in Toronto? I am looking for some help getting into a locum position.

I have a Masters degree and 6 years experience and have had only two interviews since I arrived three months ago. I am trying really hard to network, am applying for positions that I am both over and under qualified for etc but nothing is happening for me.

Some Canadian people have suggested that I am not being "aggressive" enough. While I can appreciate that job searching here is very different to what we are used to, I find it difficult to pick up the phone and call to ask how my application is going, especially considering almost every posting (I use charityvillage.com) specifically says no phone calls please.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
It might help if you have some Canadian work experience or are currently employed, not necessarily in your field. If an employees see's you've worked cleaning room, serving coffee etc they'll see your not a complete fish outa water.

Might suck for a bit but it'll be worth it in the end, plus you won't be burning through your savings.
30-10-2011, 20:09   #3
JohnMearsheimer

I would agree that you have to be more aggressive in your approach. A friend of mine in Vancouver worked with homeless charities back in Ireland and wanted to do similar work in Vancouver. She made the follow up calls, got thank you cards after interviews etc. It made her cringe to do all this but she got the job she wanted after 2 months.

She networked as well, she used the volunteering section of Craigslist and volunteered at all kinds of events around Vancouver. She met people in the same and related lines of work as her and she got contacts and information about jobs that were going through people she met volunteering.

Also are you entertaining other work options to keep you going? 3 months is a long time to go without working.
31-10-2011, 03:46   #4
retalivity

second and third everything thats been said already on this thread - hound them out of it.
Canadians have no problem pestering recruiters/hr people repeatedly about job applications & interviews, and how they went, where are we, am i being considered, etc.....
bite your lip and call all and sundry to move things along
13-11-2011, 11:34   #5
Galwaaygirl

Thanks for the advice guys! I've started to follow up on applications and am realising that recruiting is really something thats done very differently here.
Just remember everyone, the rules have changed:-)
Advertisement
09-03-2012, 21:44   #6
Ajen2012

just interested if u got a job in the end???
I am social care worker here in Ireland but soooo tempted to head off as boyfriend cant find job, is there many social care jobs over dere??!
Forum Closed