Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

18-10-2011, 11:55   #61
Lumen

The disc braked carbon cyclocross bikes cometh....

On-One Dirty Disco Carbon Cyclocross Disc Frame And Fork
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOCXD/...frame-and-fork
Advertisement
18-10-2011, 12:10   #62
Morrisseeee

Send a message via Yahoo to Morrisseeee
As a result of some boredom/goooogling, I've come up with some cycling monumental teasers/questions, so without resorting to gooogling/books/wiki's etc yourself, try and answer as many of the following:
/answers on a postcard to: Santa Claus, North Pole

1. Only 3 men have won all 5 monuments in their career, Merckx is one, who are the other two ?

2. The 5 monuments are: Milan-SanRemo, Tour of Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, Giro di Lombardia, what are they also (individually) known as ?

3. Sean Kelly won 4 monuments, which one is missing from his palmares ? where he agonisingly finished 2nd on 3 occasions !!

4. Fabian Cancellara has won X monuments, what value is X ?

5. Put these climbs with their respective monuments: Passo del Ghisallo, Poggio, Koppenberg, la Redoute, Kapelmuur. /easy
18-10-2011, 12:26   #63
Hermy

Thanks Morrisseeee

1. Only 3 men have won all 5 monuments in their career, Merckx is one, who are the other two ?
Spoiler: Roger de Vlamineck

2. The 5 monuments are: Milan-SanRemo, Tour of Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, Giro di Lombardia, what are they also (individually) known as ?
Spoiler: PR - Hell of the North
Spoiler: GDL - Race of the Fallen Leaves

3. Sean Kelly won 4 monuments, which one is missing from his palmares ? where he agonisingly finished 2nd on 3 occasions !!
Spoiler: Tour of Flanders

4. Fabian Cancellara has won X monuments, what value is X ?
Spoiler: 5?

5. Put these climbs with their respective monuments: Passo del Ghisallo, Poggio, Koppenberg, la Redoute, Kapelmuur.
Spoiler: Poggio - MSR
Spoiler: Koppenberg, Kapelmuur - ToF
Spoiler: la Redoute - LBL
Spoiler: Passo del Ghisallo - GdL
18-10-2011, 12:51   #64
Morrisseeee

Send a message via Yahoo to Morrisseeee
I hope they kept you entertained/guessing for a while anyway Hermy
The spoiler is a good idea, I'll give all the answers later in the week. PS. you're didn't do too bad
18-10-2011, 12:56   #65
Hermy

Yeah, I was gonna ask should I post up but then I thought the spoilers would suffice.
Maybe the quiz could become a regular feature.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-10-2011, 12:59   #66
Dónal
Category Moderator

Dublin Bikes Survey: http://www.delve-surveys.com/dublinbikes/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumen View Post
The disc braked carbon cyclocross bikes cometh....

On-One Dirty Disco Carbon Cyclocross Disc Frame And Fork
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOCXD/...frame-and-fork
There has been a Boardman CX disc available for awhile (I know because I picked one up last month):

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/st...Id_212536#dtab
(4) thanks from:
18-10-2011, 13:34   #67
Lumen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dónal View Post
Dublin Bikes Survey: http://www.delve-surveys.com/dublinbikes/

There has been a Boardman CX disc available for awhile (I know because I picked one up last month)
Interesting. Is it good?

The On One is full carbon, whereas the Boardman has a carbon fork and alu frame.
18-10-2011, 13:36   #68
Beasty
Searchin' for segments ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
Maybe the quiz could become a regular feature.
Vlad did one last year (I think as a Friday thread), but it really needs the regular posters to come up with some of these things, or at least give us mods some ideas ....
(2) thanks from:
18-10-2011, 13:46   #69
Dónal
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumen View Post
Interesting. Is it good?

The On One is full carbon, whereas the Boardman has a carbon fork and alu frame.
The survey? It's long

Yeah I know it's Alu, but I figured you were more focused on the disc brakes than the carbon. It's excellent so far, very comfy. I did destroy it a little by throwing loads of lights, mudguards and a rack on it, but it still looks well beneath it all. I was looking at CX bikes for a good while, but the poor brakes had made me reconsider, but then I saw the Boardman...

That is to say, this is a winter commuter & tourer. I don't know if I'll get any CX out of it. Maybe some snow fun in a month or two.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-10-2011, 15:16   #70
briano

Both wheels nicked off my bike when I went into a market.

Raging, only had them a week. Not that they were that nice, but the feckin' English*! They will steal anything. They were bolted on, not QRs, and in a public place under cctv, but "nobody seen nuffink" as I was informed. I had, in a moment of gentlemanly-ness given my cable to my GF to make sure her shiney new wheels were locked, and, to be fair, they were untouched.

That said, went down to the nearest LBS, which coincidentally was where I had got the bike from in the first place, and got wheels, tubes, tyres and handlebars for 100 quid. They were also going to give me a rear light which had also disappeared, until we worked out that it was my other half who had nicked that. So that was sound. Miche hubs on the new wheels too, which sadly makes my hipster d**khead bike even more hipster d**khead-y.

Kryptoflex is now permanantly attatched to the bike.

* - As opposed to Dublin, where they will just stomp on your wheels if they can't get them off. Much more civilised.
18-10-2011, 18:19   #71
Dord

Quote:
Originally Posted by briano View Post
Both wheels nicked off my bike when I went into a market.

Raging, only had them a week. Not that they were that nice, but the feckin' English*! They will steal anything. They were bolted on, not QRs, and in a public place under cctv, but "nobody seen nuffink" as I was informed. I had, in a moment of gentlemanly-ness given my cable to my GF to make sure her shiney new wheels were locked, and, to be fair, they were untouched.

That said, went down to the nearest LBS, which coincidentally was where I had got the bike from in the first place, and got wheels, tubes, tyres and handlebars for 100 quid. They were also going to give me a rear light which had also disappeared, until we worked out that it was my other half who had nicked that. So that was sound. Miche hubs on the new wheels too, which sadly makes my hipster d**khead bike even more hipster d**khead-y.

Kryptoflex is now permanantly attatched to the bike.

* - As opposed to Dublin, where they will just stomp on your wheels if they can't get them off. Much more civilised.
OUCH, that's not nice!
18-10-2011, 20:55   #72
Lusk Doyle
Closed Account

Just back from the first cycle in the dark this "winter" with my new exposure mk6 joystick helmet light. It's the business. Glad I got it I must say.
18-10-2011, 21:01   #73
kincsem
Closed Account

(2) thanks from:
19-10-2011, 01:30   #74
tomasrojo

Nice article about the recently deceased Dennis Ritchie, for those of you who are interested in computing history:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...s-ritchie-unix
(2) thanks from:
19-10-2011, 08:42   #75
AstraMonti

Send a message via MSN to AstraMonti
This is the first properly cold morning! Enjoyable fresh though..
Thread Closed