Beta readers wanted - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-10-2011, 16:41   #1
pickarooney

Beta readers wanted

Who wants to read a 100,000 word perennial work in progress and tell me how to make it better?

I can supply it in any format you want, except possibly .MOV
Advertisement
13-10-2011, 16:56   #2
Kinski
Closed Account

Aw, no .mov, but that was exactly the format everyone would have wanted

I'd be happy to help if you'd like, but I must warn you now, it would be an age before I'd be able to get back to you.
Thanks from:
13-10-2011, 17:12   #3
Leafonthewind

I'd love to read it, if you're willing to wait a few months for feedback. I'm not a very fast reader, and I do have to finish Diary of the Wolf first, but I'm working away at it.
Thanks from:
13-10-2011, 18:04   #4
Antilles

When you say "work in progress" do you mean you are in the editing phase or you haven't finished writing it yet?
13-10-2011, 19:28   #5
FewFew

I'll do a swapsie with you as discussed... though I think I'm going to take more time with my 2nd book. Have some ideas I need to implement before I get your valued opinion on it.

Do you have it in that handy .mobi format? Doesn't matter if you don't, but I'll get it read a lot faster if I can throw it on my wee Kindle.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-10-2011, 20:33   #6
pickarooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antilles View Post
When you say "work in progress" do you mean you are in the editing phase or you haven't finished writing it yet?
Theoretically I've finished writing it now, barring a few inevitable changes after review. I did say this about two years and six rewrites ago though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewcifur View Post
I'll do a swapsie with you as discussed... though I think I'm going to take more time with my 2nd book. Have some ideas I need to implement before I get your valued opinion on it.

Do you have it in that handy .mobi format? Doesn't matter if you don't, but I'll get it read a lot faster if I can throw it on my wee Kindle.
I did convert it to .mobi but it looks a bit uglier than the .epub I converted it from. The indentations and page breaks didn't work right. I'll try reconvert it tomorrow. If you've any tips for Calibre or Sigil or whatever you used to make your books I'm all ears.
13-10-2011, 20:34   #7
bluewolf
being awesome

yeah, i have a couple weeks off after this week. not that i need a couple weeks. but anyway yeah i'll read it
Thanks from:
13-10-2011, 20:52   #8
Antilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickarooney View Post
Theoretically I've finished writing it now, barring a few inevitable changes after review. I did say this about two years and six rewrites ago though...
Is there a deadline on finishing reading? I'll volunteer my eyes but I'm pretty busy for the next fortnight so won't be able to get back to you before then.

Last edited by Antilles; 13-10-2011 at 21:07.
13-10-2011, 22:43   #9
Blush_01

Send a message via MSN to Blush_01
I've just finished American Gods, currently between interesting reads and in a mood for being constructively critical, if you're looking for someone who likes red pen...
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-10-2011, 22:57   #10
pickarooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blush_01 View Post
I've just finished American Gods, currently between interesting reads and in a mood for being constructively critical, if you're looking for someone who likes red pen...
Hmm, I've just started American Gods
13-10-2011, 23:06   #11
Blush_01

I tore through it in a few days, and now I'm sorry I finished it, I didn't want it to end, even though I really wanted to find out what happened. Second Gaiman book I've read (the first was The Graveyard Book) and now I want to go book shopping... not good on my budget.
13-10-2011, 23:08   #12
pickarooney

The first and only one I've read so far was Anansi Boys which I've just this minute discovered I maybe should have read after AG. Ah well.
13-10-2011, 23:19   #13
Blush_01

Just filled a basket on thebookdepository and I'm now trying to restrain myself from clicking on the checkout button.

I'm about to pick up Murakami, so if you're interested in sending that through to me let me know.
14-10-2011, 00:17   #14
FewFew

Quote:
Oh my god that's one of my favourite books. He's just one of those writers that gives you that "I wish I had thought of that... it's brilliant" feeling.

Quote:
I tore through it in a few days, and now I'm sorry I finished it, I didn't want it to end, even though I really wanted to find out what happened. Second Gaiman book I've read (the first was The Graveyard Book) and now I want to go book shopping... not good on my budget.
Anansi Boys is the way to go if you're in a post-AG world. Not as good, but deals with a lot of similar concepts.

Neverwhere is good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickarooney View Post

I did convert it to .mobi but it looks a bit uglier than the .epub I converted it from. The indentations and page breaks didn't work right. I'll try reconvert it tomorrow. If you've any tips for Calibre or Sigil or whatever you used to make your books I'm all ears.
I just use Smashwords to do it. Just upload a word file and they do all the rest. Even if you don't put in all their copyright stuff, it'll still pop out a finished product.
14-10-2011, 08:23   #15
pickarooney

Quote:
Oh my god that's one of my favourite books. He's just one of those writers that gives you that "I wish I had thought of that... it's brilliant" feeling.
Absolutely. And it's always something that you think you maybe could have thought of rather than some esoteric concept you would never have dreamed up.

I've always loved the spider-god. I even wrote a play based on the Ananse stories when I was in college. Then I lost the one copy of it I had saved on a floppy. Good times. I tell my kids Ananse stories at bedtime too so maybe one of them will write the definitive spider book at some stage.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion