Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

07-10-2011, 11:39   #1
Elmo

Aer TV

Just noticed this from magnet

www.aertv.ie

no subscription required, you just have to watch an ad before the feed starts. Wonder how TV3, RTÉ and TG4 feel about them eating into their advertising revenue.

New music service from Magnet
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-10-2011, 16:17   #2
copacetic

Won't work for me, get the ad ok then no channel will play, is it working ok for everyone else?
07-10-2011, 17:11   #3
Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
Won't work for me, get the ad ok then no channel will play, is it working ok for everyone else?
Try in another browser. It is working in Chrome.
09-10-2011, 16:20   #4
cathalosullivan

Picture issues with aertv

I'm having issues watching Aertv on all my browsers. The ad loads up perfectly but then when the actual channels come on, the picture is distorted and extremely blurry. The sound quality is fine but its the picture that's not working.

Any ideas?
09-10-2011, 21:17   #5
icdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Just noticed this from magnet

www.aertv.ie

no subscription required, you just have to watch an ad before the feed starts. Wonder how TV3, RTÉ and TG4 feel about them eating into their advertising revenue.

New music service from Magnet
RTÉ was considering sending it to their solicitors last I heard. Its almost certainly breach of copyright if done without permission.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-10-2011, 00:07   #6
BrianD
Closed Account

Yeah, I was wondering how they can rebroadcast these channels and insert advertisements. I could understand it if it was available just to Magnet subscribers an a part of their deal.

There must be a legal footing for it.
10-10-2011, 00:23   #7
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by icdg View Post
RTÉ was considering sending it to their solicitors last I heard. Its almost certainly breach of copyright if done without permission.

I watched RTÉ 1 tonight on Magnet ..... and shut down briefly ...... and when I tried to access again just after midnight I was refused ..... seems to be now locked to Magnet customers ... for a price?

AerTV worked perfectly ....

Last edited by Johnboy1951; 11-10-2011 at 12:32.
10-10-2011, 12:58   #8
abitofacomedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathalosullivan View Post
I'm having issues watching Aertv on all my browsers. The ad loads up perfectly but then when the actual channels come on, the picture is distorted and extremely blurry. The sound quality is fine but its the picture that's not working.

Any ideas?
This worked for me, right click on the picture and click "Settings". Click on the first tab, "Display" (picture of a monitor) and see if "Enable hardware acceleration" is checked. If it is, uncheck it, press "Close" and reload the page. When the video starts again it should be working ok.
10-10-2011, 19:06   #9
Minstrel27
Closed Account

Picture quality if fine for an internet stream.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-10-2011, 21:27   #10
cathalosullivan

Thanks for that, a simply matter of unchecking the box!Working perfectly now
10-10-2011, 21:32   #11
Elmo

Looks like they will also launch a movie channel on the service.
11-10-2011, 12:34   #12
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Yeah, I was wondering how they can rebroadcast these channels and insert advertisements. I could understand it if it was available just to Magnet subscribers an a part of their deal.

There must be a legal footing for it.
It seemed to me that they were carrying the ads as broadcast ...... the only extra ad I noticed was the one while the service was beginning.

Am I misunderstanding what is happening?
11-10-2011, 12:46   #13
Elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy1951 View Post
It seemed to me that they were carrying the ads as broadcast ...... the only extra ad I noticed was the one while the service was beginning.

Am I misunderstanding what is happening?
They are using RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 to advertise their company. As the service becomes more popular that ad will begin to be for other products. Both types of ads have issues.

Magnet do not pay any of the above companies for their services and are thus getting a free ad. This is also down to rights issues as TV3 pay ITV for programming Magnet do not, RTÉ pay BBC for programming Magnet do not and TG4 pay Independent Producers for programming Magnet do not and so on (See can be innocently bias as well haha, okay okay TG4 pay Warner Bros.).

It would be kind of like RTÉ placing an ad for RTÉ every time you switch to TV3, or UPC placing an ad for UPC every time you turn on your STB.
11-10-2011, 12:57   #14
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
They are using RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 to advertise their company. As the service becomes more popular that ad will begin to be for other products. Both types of ads have issues.

Magnet do not pay any of the above companies for their services and are thus getting a free ad. This is also down to rights issues as TV3 pay ITV for programming Magnet do not, RTÉ pay BBC for programming Magnet do not and TG4 pay Independent Producers for programming Magnet do not and so on (See can be innocently bias as well haha, okay okay TG4 pay Warner Bros.).

It would be kind of like RTÉ placing an ad for RTÉ every time you switch to TV3,
I am not seeing that here ....... there is a Magnet ad when the service starts .... which I would consider they are entitled to have .... but there is no further ad from Magnet no matter what channels are chosen.

Quote:
or UPC placing an ad for UPC every time you turn on your STB.
Yes that would equate to what I am seeing ..... but other than pee-ing off the user I don't see there would be anything 'wrong' with that.

regards.
11-10-2011, 14:15   #15
BrianD
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy1951 View Post
I am not seeing that here ....... there is a Magnet ad when the service starts .... which I would consider they are entitled to have
Can't see why they would be entitled to. It's the broadcasters content that they are reusing.

Having said that there's a lot of third party apps that reuse other peoples content e.g. radio apps. Some day soon the free party will come to an end.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed