Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-10-2011, 12:45   #46
emmet02

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaz View Post
cronin did just fine - losing POC, ross, Healy, BOD or even Ferris, Bowe , Kearney, o'gara would be far more serious - hopefully best will be back for later stages - injuries will be par for course of this journey for all teams - its hardly like losing dan carter
fully disagree here. If you're calling the above players the first choice

POC -> Cullen isn't near as big a gap as Best -> Cronin
Bowe -> Trimble again
Kearney - > Murphy is a big step, but again not in the same league.
ROG -> Sexton is not even a step, as it's a crazily close decision already.

You're completely underestimating just how good Best has been and how important he is for our game.
Advertisement
02-10-2011, 12:46   #47
GerM
Closed Account

Andy Kyriacou is definitely an option that people are forgetting. I think it would be Sherry though.
02-10-2011, 12:47   #48
Risteard

Hope it's not serious, not just from the POV of the Irish team, but for Best himself. He's playing his best rugby of his Irish career lately and it would be a shame for him to miss out.
02-10-2011, 12:48   #49
GerM
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Jackass] View Post
Cian Healy threw in to lineouts in schools rugby if that helps... )
He didn't. He played and scrummaged at hooker but Belvedere's No. 8, David Gilchrist, threw in at set piece time. Gilchrist was a fine hooker in his own right and played there on representative teams.
02-10-2011, 13:04   #50
Cpt_Blackbeard

Leamy was registered as a hooker in Munster years ago, if that's any help?

Seriously though, it would be a huge loss. Best has been playing the best rugby of his career imo and Cronin is terribly unpredictable - he looks so nervous on the field, his hands are terrible and he poor in the lineout. If Varley could find his early season form from last year he would be my starter hands down but, he was poor towards the end of the season. His throwing went AWOL and he became a penalty machine. If he did find form though, he could be our answer to having no natural 7 , he can be a beast on the floor.

Sherry would probably be the obvious replacement. It would be a huge challenge to slot in with the squad and learn the calls though. This is probably the only time that I'll go on record saying that I want Strauss to tog out for Ireland though.

I would absolutely love for Sherry to pull a Murray and go from being 4th choice at Munster to being first choice for Ireland within 6months though.
Advertisement
02-10-2011, 13:08   #51
phog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloc8 View Post
I thought emmet02 meant he's number 1 of those in line for the call-ups, not number 1 to start in the team.
I understood that, thats why I asked
Quote:
That's kind of worrying, I've huge time for Sherry and often preferred to see him start ahead of Varley but I think should he be called up it'll be a huge step up for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerM View Post
Andy Kyriacou is definitely an option that people are forgetting. I think it would be Sherry though.
I fgorgot about Andy, he may be next choice too.
02-10-2011, 13:20   #52
overshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerM View Post
i though of him at first too but personally i dont think he has been at the level he was at in his debut ulster season, playing ireland A etc. i think ireland may be in trouble here. Best has been on flying form and its a definate step down to Cronin. (iv good hope for the future for him but he is a work in progress) unfortunately though it is a big step again to the next man. its annoying that ireland have good cover for almost the entire squad but the front row is the one place where there is such a gap between 1st and 2nd choice. (or at least when we are minus flannery too)

personally i think varley probably has to be the go to guy here, only one with full caps and there isnt much between whats left
02-10-2011, 13:26   #53
Medkaren

Give cronin a chance

What exactly did cronin do wrong today? Made all his line outs the only one he didn't was because donnacha Ryan let it go through his grasp but the timing was good. Also had a good scrum carried and tackled well.. I think he's come on leaps and bounds since this time last year and think he'll be our no 1 before long
02-10-2011, 13:32   #54
RoryMc23
Banned

I'm pretty sure Flavin will be called up.
Advertisement
02-10-2011, 13:32   #55
conf101

Someone on Twitter saying that Strauss is now eligible. Wonder if he's a possibility. Don't think that a call out to the WC is the ideal time to be bringing him into the Irish squad. Could be pretty unsettling for everyone.

I say this as a big Strauss fan btw
02-10-2011, 13:34   #56
GerM
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medkaren View Post
What exactly did cronin do wrong today? Made all his line outs the only one he didn't was because donnacha Ryan let it go through his grasp but the timing was good. Also had a good scrum carried and tackled well.. I think he's come on leaps and bounds since this time last year and think he'll be our no 1 before long
25 minutes can't dispel what we've all seen and known for a long time. He's very mobile, fantastic carrier and decent at the breakdown for a front row player. However, his throwing is dubious and our scrum is significantly weaker with him on the field. Best is miles ahead of him and will be a huge loss if confirmed. Cronin right now will struggle a fair bit to be the number one at his province let alone his country.
02-10-2011, 13:34   #57
GerM
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by conf101 View Post
Someone on Twitter saying that Strauss is now eligible. Wonder if he's a possibility. Don't think that a call out to the WC is the ideal time to be bringing him into the Irish squad. Could be pretty unsettling for everyone.

They're wrong. Strauss isn't eligible until autumn 2012.
02-10-2011, 13:34   #58
Fireball07

Quote:

People say a lot of things on Twitter.

If he's the best choice, then he should be called up. But I don't think he's eligible...
02-10-2011, 13:35   #59
phog

Quote:

Not a hope of it, even if he is eligible. Nothing against him but he has ever been in camp with the irish squad and I'd hope a couple of the other lads must surely have been or played Churchill Cup.
02-10-2011, 13:41   #60
Flincher

That's a real pity if Best is out, he's played some excellent rugby over the last few weeks.

Sherry would be the next choice. He has been solid this season, but the chances are he won't be called upon if he does fly out, so its probably academic enough.

I don't think there's a lot between Cronin and Varley. I'd probably go for Cronin based on his familiarity and experience with the squad, Varley hasn't had the same involvement.

The main advantage Varley has is his ability to win turnovers and, he very regularly wins penalties on the deck for Munster, and that might be something the coaches will look at, especially considering how strong Warburton is on the ground.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion