Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
16-09-2011, 22:05   #166
A Primal Nut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmail.com View Post
This is possibly true. He has also spoiled any chance of Mary Davies or Sean Gallagher having a chance at winning, they'll get squeezed. They should drop out now to save some money.

McGunniess will just say sure wasn't Dev in the IRA when asked about his IRA past and he has a point.
I don't think he has a point. The IRA during early 20th century is different to the one during the troubles. There are many reasons for this; but nobody ever seems to explain it, even the media just take it for granted that they are different without really explaining it.

The IRA of the early 20th century did not:

1) Bomb indiscriminately with vague warnings or none at all. Even De Valera cracked down on the IRA when they began a bombing campain in the late 1930s.
2) Target Protestants because of their religion
3) Engage in punishment beatings or kneecapping. Michael Collins specifically opposed this
4) Engage in Proxy bombings

All of these and more occurred during the troubles under direct orders from the IRA army council which included Adams, McGuinness and Ferris, and some actions were carried out directly by them.

If you are prepared to forgive them for that then fine, but I wish people would stop using the early 20th century IRA to compare. I've often seen Gerry Adams compare himself to Michael Collins and his comrades, and nobody seems willing to challenge him on it or tell him the difference.

http://sarasmichaelcollinssite.com/a...strious_career
http://patrickmacmanus.wordpress.com...ican-army-ira/
A Primal Nut is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-09-2011, 22:08   #167
Cicero
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe Tone View Post
He would be an excellent choice imo,
As OP, it would be helpful to this thread if you documented your reasons
Cicero is offline  
16-09-2011, 22:10   #168
round tower huntsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 795
yeah so we gave up the claim over the osc's and accepted it as british territory and that britian had sovereignty over the northern part of our island. if britain is sovereign in the osc how can it be part of the irish nation??
thats why republicans reject britains sovereignty in ireland and claim the whole 32 c's as the irish nation.
round tower huntsman is offline  
16-09-2011, 22:19   #169
Wolfe Tone
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
As OP, it would be helpful to this thread if you documented your reasons
Perhaps you should read the rest of my post?
Wolfe Tone is offline  
16-09-2011, 22:21   #170
Cicero
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe Tone View Post
Perhaps you should read the rest of my post?
I did...my question stands.
Cicero is offline  
Advertisement
16-09-2011, 22:21   #171
Bergkamp 10
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tralee
Posts: 188
He will get my vote because as of yet, he is the best man for the job and will do it well.

Simple as.

The only other worthy candidate is Micheal D Higgins. Even then, McGuiness would probably represent the country better than Higgins anyway.

As for the rest, all celebrity dross.
Bergkamp 10 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
16-09-2011, 22:24   #172
anymore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by round tower huntsman View Post
yeah so we gave up the claim over the osc's and accepted it as british territory and that britian had sovereignty over the northern part of our island. if britain is sovereign in the osc how can it be part of the irish nation??
thats why republicans reject britains sovereignty in ireland and claim the whole 32 c's as the irish nation.
No the Constitution recognises that the irish nation is actually a seperate entity from the actual physical land of ireland and that a part of that land mass is effectively under British rule for the moment and will be until a united Ireland is brought about peacefully by the consent of a majority of people in both jurisdictions.
Article 3.2 allows for institutions with executive powers and functions that are shared between the two jurisdictions to be establised.
Aerricle two, as amended, allows everybody born on the island of Ireland the entitlement to be part of the irish nation.
anymore is offline  
16-09-2011, 22:30   #173
Pompey Magnus
Registered User
 
Pompey Magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Primal Nut View Post
I've often seen Gerry Adams compare himself to Michael Collins and his comrades, and nobody seems willing to challenge him on it or tell him the difference.
Is this the same Michael Collins who ordered members of his squad to execute two Catholic girls because they were romantically involved with two British soldiers? You, like many Irish people, seem happy to gloss over the nasty aspects of the old IRA in order to try and differentiate them from the Provos.
Pompey Magnus is offline  
(4) thanks from:
16-09-2011, 22:32   #174
Dr Galen
I'm a real doctor I swears
 
Dr Galen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: In the Trees
Posts: 7,564
Before we disappear down a constitutional rabbit hole can people please remember both OP and the main topic at hand please. I'm not sure that longwinded discussions on the correct terms for various places are really OT tbh.
Dr Galen is offline  
Advertisement
16-09-2011, 22:32   #175
round tower huntsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 795
britain is sovereign in the osc's, thats fact. it wasnt the peace process that allowed lizzie to visit a while back, she refused until we accpeted her sovereignty in the osc's, dropping, eh amending, 2&3 allowed for her visit.
round tower huntsman is offline  
16-09-2011, 22:32   #176
blahfckingblah
Registered User
 
blahfckingblah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: n/a
Posts: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
I did...my question stands.
he means this :
Quote:
He has proved himself a very capable statesman and he has handled the difficult position of deputy first minister with ease. He is a great republican and Irishman.
blahfckingblah is offline  
(3) thanks from:
16-09-2011, 22:33   #177
round tower huntsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey Magnus View Post
Is this the same Michael Collins who ordered members of his squad to execute two Catholic girls because they were romantically involved with two British soldiers? You, like many Irish people, seem happy to gloss over the nasty aspects of the old IRA in order to try and differentiate them from the Provos.
the provos and psf people are pretty apt at doing that now. "the good old ira v's bad new ira" is as old as the struggle it self.
round tower huntsman is offline  
16-09-2011, 22:34   #178
anymore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by round tower huntsman View Post
britain is sovereign in the osc's, thats fact. it wasnt the peace process that allowed lizzie to visit a while back, she refused until we accpeted her sovereignty in the osc's, dropping, eh amending, 2&3 allowed for her visit.
She is jsut like a vintiloquists dummy and goes where she is told and says what she is told to say.
anymore is offline  
16-09-2011, 22:35   #179
anymore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey Magnus View Post
Is this the same Michael Collins who ordered members of his squad to execute two Catholic girls because they were romantically involved with two British soldiers? You, like many Irish people, seem happy to gloss over the nasty aspects of the old IRA in order to try and differentiate them from the Provos.
Yes so what ?
anymore is offline  
16-09-2011, 22:36   #180
round tower huntsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by anymore View Post
She is jsut like a vintiloquists dummy and goes where she is told and says what she is told to say.
insults?? when the truth hurts attack the player not the ball eh?
round tower huntsman is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet