Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-09-2011, 14:00   #1
EUSTY500

Commuting from Kilkenny to NUI Maynooth

Anyone driving up & down from Kilkenny to Maynooth every day? I'm starting a BA & looking for a lift this year. Very quiet & easygoing & will happily share the burden with petrol, insurance etc.

Thanks
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-09-2011, 18:51   #2
Mastroph

I'm from Kilkenny and as far as I know nobody does this. On fridays it normally takes upwards of 2 hours to get home. Some of this is due to traffic in Maynooth on a friday afternoon, but you're still looking at and hour and a half at the very least. Public transport I imagine would be about the same and extremely expensive.

In my opninion your best bet would be to find accommodation in Maynooth and maybe just go home at weekends. It's not too late to start looking.
Thanks from:
06-09-2011, 19:36   #3
lordgoat

Don't do this to yourself. You'll waste your college experiences in the passenger seat if you do. Good luck either way.
Thanks from:
06-09-2011, 19:42   #4
LeixlipRed
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgoat View Post
Don't do this to yourself. You'll waste your college experiences in the passenger seat if you do. Good luck either way.
What if the OP can't afford to move out? And needs a lift to be able to, shocking as this may sound, complete their education?
06-09-2011, 20:44   #5
mrcurious

2 hard to get anywhere thats not croke park from kilkenny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeixlipRed View Post
Anyone driving up & down from Kilkenny to Maynooth every day? I'm starting a BA & looking for a lift this year. Very quiet & easygoing & will happily share the burden with petrol, insurance etc.

Hey im from kilkenny and have looked up commuting by public transport.

its very hard commuting from here, by train you could go from kilkenny in the mornins ud be there by 10 at the latest..

the journey is kilkenny > hueston > connolly > maynooth

it costs 30 euro return with student card. This is fact as iv done it. if you book it online its cheaper. the last train back is 6.45 thats hueston > kilkenny so youd have to allow 45 mins for train from maynooth and luas accross.

this works out more expensive than renting..you'l stil find something on daft (i did yesterday) and if the deposits the problem (like in my case until this weekend) the local credit union will lend you the money which can be repaid at really low rates such as €10 per week. u mite have to get ur rents to sign on the loan as backup.

theres a bus back at 5.30 or sumthin..bus up isnt possible its a 4 hour journey and ud miss all your lectures

you could check if theres a weekly rate it might bring down the price.

hope this is helpful in some way...
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-09-2011, 22:57   #6
Jimmy Iovine

Drive up from Kilkenny is at best 70 minutes with no traffic and a nippy driver (ie. my dad). If on the other hand the person is a slowish driver then it'll be over an hour and a half. I honestly don't think you'll find anyone that goes that distance every day.

Lots commute from Navan and Drogheda but there is a direct bus to there and it's not far from Navan. Kilkenny I think is too far a distance for people to be going every day.

If you are able to get a lift to Carlow then you can get the bus up every day and be there in time for 9 and gone by the evening time. It'll be heavy going and not something that would have appealed to me at all but everyone is different. Best of luck anyway
06-09-2011, 23:04   #7
coolperson05

Firstly I think it's a genuine option for people these days. An hour and a half would only mean leaving about 7.15am and arriving home at 7/8ish at the latest. That's not ridiculous. I know people going to college in Dublin and living in Kildare/Wicklow that travel over 90mins to college everyday - A much shorter distance. It is much cheaper as meals and accomod. would be at home. You'll have friends in college to crash with on the nights out. The main problem is there's no public transport option so it's drive or nothing. But I wouldn't rule it out, the days of mammy paying to live away for 4 years are long gone!
07-09-2011, 14:13   #8
squishykins

Send a message via Skype™ to squishykins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcurious View Post
Hey im from kilkenny and have looked up commuting by public transport.

its very hard commuting from here, by train you could go from kilkenny in the mornins ud be there by 10 at the latest..

the journey is kilkenny > hueston > connolly > maynooth

it costs 30 euro return with student card. This is fact as iv done it. if you book it online its cheaper. the last train back is 6.45 thats hueston > kilkenny so youd have to allow 45 mins for train from maynooth and luas accross.
I don't know much about this but just so you know, the 66/67 stops right beside Hueston, so you could cut out the train to Connolly/luas.
Thanks from:
07-09-2011, 14:25   #9
coolperson05

Or get off the train at Newbridge and get the JJ Kavanagh bus?

http://www.jjkavanagh.ie/images/stor...thSept2010.pdf

http://www.jjkavanagh.ie/images/stor...thSept2010.pdf
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-09-2011, 14:51   #10
mrcurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolperson05 View Post
Thats really helpful!! do u know if theres buses on sundays i could use to get to my accom?
08-09-2011, 16:45   #11
MarkTheBaby

Isn't there a JJ Kavanagh to Naas that offers a connection to Maynooth?
08-09-2011, 19:17   #12
Daemos
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcurious View Post
Thats really helpful!! do u know if theres buses on sundays i could use to get to my accom?
None that I know of anyway, unless a different company runs any
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTheBaby View Post
Isn't there a JJ Kavanagh to Naas that offers a connection to Maynooth?
The 8.20 to Naas usually arrives on time, as the Maynooth bus is usually later than 10.15. Getting back can be a problem though, as it can often miss the return bus.

Another option is if you can get a lift to Carlow, the bus leaves there at 7am and goes to directly to Maynooth, and arrives back at 7.40pm

I have lots of info on Kavanagh buses to Maynooth from Kilkenny from personal experience, so if anyone wants any other info I'll happily help

But I would recommend accomodation if you can get it rather than going up and down every day. Again, from personal experience
08-09-2011, 22:24   #13
lordgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeixlipRed View Post
What if the OP can't afford to move out? And needs a lift to be able to, shocking as this may sound, complete their education?
Awesome advice, now let's see if anyone from Kilkenny agrees with you.

Nope, didn't think so.

As pointed out, it's too expensive to do it by public transport and too long to drive there.

Also taking into account how motivated one would be to study hard, having to get a lift for well over an hour in the morning and evening I think his education would suffer less from moving closer to the college.
08-09-2011, 22:46   #14
mrcurious

Im from kk and i really think commuting from here would be a nightmare.

I dont think some could do it and others couldnt...ud be worn out...trains and busses dont fit timetables either....
08-09-2011, 22:47   #15
LeixlipRed
Closed Account

The lad was looking for a car share which wouldn't be more expensive than living out of home. Some people simply cannot afford to move out of home. Or cannot leave home for a whole variety of issues. But you have an answer for everything don't you? Sure, ideal scenario, you move up and everything's rosey but I'm sure the OP would be doing that if it was an option. Awaits argumentative response.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion