Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Where's the best guinness in the City

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭brian2me

shawnee wrote: »
    Fennessy's is the only place that I visit that has a consistently good pint of guinness. It has little to do with the volume sold as I go to one of the bigger pubs in Raheen area and the Guinness is generally awful.

Very true, Russell's is so inconsistent and that's when you eventually get served. Horny horse was never good. Highway not great. Collins soso aswell.

Nancy Blakes in the bar can be alright, it's the best of the super pubs in town although have only being in Cobblestone Joe's and the pint I must admit was very nice well def try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

- Consistently good:

Fenneseys
    Flannerys, Shannon St
    Souths

- Hon. mention:

Tom Collins (sentimental reasons alone, but still a decent pint in a treasure of a bar)
    Bobby Byrnes (unless pulled by one of the former mayors, sorry B, but you have a sour paw)
    Bourkes, Catherine St.
    Willie Sextons (on rugby match-days)
    Austin Quinlivans (ditto & esp. Young Munster gatherings)
    Windmill

Could do better:

The White House (price is outrageous)
    Squire McGuires (what happened! used be great!)

Must try more before deciding:

Leddins )fmr.-KO'B's
    Foleys nr. Sars. Bridge

.........this is thirsty work !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 champo

O'Connells on Ellen Street, Black Swan Annacotty, and Tom Collins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 verticalbones

banie01 wrote: »
    Worth a look......my hole ;):p
    Its at least 6years out of date,
    It gives the Davin, The DogHouse, Rubens, Club Havana, McGregors, Finns, The Cornmarket, Rubyannes, The Bard Hogans...
    It even lists Schooners which must be gone 10yrs at this stage ;)
    Its more of an RIP to the Limerick Pub trade than a useful website :(
    Thanks for the feedback. We originally seeded the database from existing directories to avoid having no listings. This is why we have old data.

However, it's obvious we need to allow users to mark pubs as closed for deletion. We'll get that in place. In the meantime, we'll delete the old listings you mentioned and it would be cool if you entered in and rated the current best spots.

To make this easier there is an iPhone app and a mobile site for other smartphones.

Any other feedback you have would be great to hear. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

O' Connells actually had a nice pint of Guinness in there the Monday night i was there for Quiz Night, and in fairness, at €3 a pint aswel for the night that was in it, you can't really argue with that! :)

other than that, the clarion hotel always does a nice pint, but it's a bit out of the way for most people who wouldn't think of it... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

I would agree with Fennessys, the Windmill etc. and also add in Anthony O'Dwyers on Wolfe Tone Street

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks for the feedback. We originally seeded the database from existing directories to avoid having no listings. This is why we have old data.

However, it's obvious we need to allow users to mark pubs as closed for deletion. We'll get that in place. In the meantime, we'll delete the old listings you mentioned and it would be cool if you entered in and rated the current best spots.

To make this easier there is an iPhone app and a mobile site for other smartphones.

Any other feedback you have would be great to hear. Cheers.

Nice to see some feedback from the website developer ;)
    As for feedback regarding the pints in Limerick this thread would be a good place to start populating your updated DB from.

PS, I can understand the reasoning behind using old directories to get some info up there....
    But its better to have no data, than it is to populate a DB with listings 10yrs out of date!
    Inaccurate data that old makes your site(Which is a nice idea) look like some kind of shill/fraud advertiser...
    But if you want to use a current database....
    There is always the good old phone book ;) They tend not to list premises who haven't paid a bill in 6+yrs.

Good luck with the site though ;) I like the idea

banie01 wrote: »
    Nice to see some feedback from the website developer ;)
    As for feedback regarding the pints in Limerick this thread would be a good place to start populating your updated DB from.

PS, I can understand the reasoning behind using old directories to get some info up there....
    But its better to have no data, than it is to populate a DB with listings 10yrs out of date!
    Inaccurate data that old makes your site(Which is a nice idea) look like some kind of shill/fraud advertiser...
    But if you want to use a current database....
    There is always the good old phone book ;) They tend not to list premises who haven't paid a bill in 6+yrs.

Good luck with the site though ;) I like the idea
    Cheers.

We bet an empty page would be a bigger turn off. Perhaps it was the wrong call.

Pubs (unfortunately) close all the time, so we'll need to rely on the community to keep the data accurate. Also, the trick was getting GPS data so we could map the pub, as opposed to just a phone book listing. The pins are adjustable as well.

Anyone with local knowledge fancy a free t-shirt to help clean up the Limerick pub listings? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Cheers.

We bet an empty page would be a bigger turn off. Perhaps it was the wrong call.

Pubs (unfortunately) close all the time, so we'll need to rely on the community to keep the data accurate. Also, the trick was getting GPS data so we could map the pub, as opposed to just a phone book listing. The pins are adjustable as well.

Anyone with local knowledge fancy a free t-shirt to help clean up the Limerick pub listings? ;)

Will second the T Shirt so they'll get 2!!!!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hmmm, 2 free t-shirts would be nice! :pac:

I'll help out a bit if I can.

• Advertisement

Good stuff!

I'm looking for a list of pubs to delete and to have the pubs mentioned in this thread added to the map. Some exist. I'd just like to be sure they are placed correctly.

Cheers.

PS - I imagine a pint might be in order at your favourite spot as well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Good stuff!

I'm looking for a list of pubs to delete and to have the pubs mentioned in this thread added to the map. Some exist. I'd just like to be sure they are placed correctly.

Cheers.

PS - I imagine a pint might be in order at your favourite spot as well.

Tried sending a report there and got a notification to set up a Get Satisfaction account. It might be easier to just post stuff here about which pubs need to be removed. I'll add one or two others that are missing.

Tried sending a report there and got a notification to set up a Get Satisfaction account. It might be easier to just post stuff here about which pubs need to be removed. I'll add one or two others that are missing.
    Just send me a private message. I can give you my email address.

Note: The feedback button on the site is tied into the Get Satisfaction system.

Woodfield, O'Dwyer's, The Curragower and Fennessy's added.

Rumyans - now 31 Thomas Street
    Old Quarter - now O'Connell's
    The Market Night Club - now Angel Lane (but do terrible pints!)
    Nevada Smiths - now Foxy's
    Still House - now Flannagan's

Nestor's and Opus - gone altogether.

Hopefully there won't be too many others closing down any time soon!

Woodfield, O'Dwyer's, The Curragower and Fennessy's added.

Rumyans - now 31 Thomas Street
    Old Quarter - now O'Connell's
    The Market Night Club - now Angel Lane (but do terrible pints!)
    Nevada Smiths - now Foxy's
    Still House - now Flannagan's

Nestor's and Opus - gone altogether.

Hopefully there won't be too many others closing down any time soon!
    Excellent. I also added Westward Ho, Ardhú Bar and Rasher's. Hope the pins are in the right place. (But you can move them if they aren't.)

T-shirt is in the post. :)

It would be great if everyone could put their ratings and comments on the site! I'd be curious to see who comes out on top ...
    http://www.perfectpints.com/pubs/search/location/?q=limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

I had a gorgeous pint of plain outside Clohessy's a few weeks back. Maybe it was the nice weather and the swans on the river but it was one of the nicest ive had in a while.

Some missing pubs I've noticed in my area according to your map.

Clem Smith's - Dock road (Also theres another one next door, Ma Somthing?)
    Charlie Malone's - Wolfe Tone Street
    Austin's - Bothar Bui
    The old Stand - Clontarf Place
    The Corner Flag - Henry Street
    Willie Sextons - Henry Street

Also the location of a lot of the pubs is out by a bit. Some of the bigger errors (100 metres or so) would be O'Dwyers and Kennedy O'Briens.

Clem Smith's - Dock road (Also theres another one next door, Ma Somthing?)
    Charlie Malone's - Wolfe Tone Street
    Austin's - Bothar Bui
    The old Stand - Clontarf Place
    The Corner Flag - Henry Street
    Willie Sextons - Henry Street

I've added all of these, apart from Austin's. I'm not familiar with the pub itself, and I can't find its location on Google.
    Also the location of a lot of the pubs is out by a bit. Some of the bigger errors (100 metres or so) would be O'Dwyers and Kennedy O'Briens.

O'Dwyer's was my fault! :o I had it where Charlie Malone's was supposed to be. Fixed it and fixed Kennedy O'Brien's as well there.

I've moved some of the pins in the henry st/dock road /oconnellave area so that they are inch perfect. No excuses if someone can't get a pint:).

@InsectOverlord Austin's is right beside the Train Station where the buses exit from the depot. You'd never spot it unless you knew it. All thats over the door is the Young Munster crest!

Also will someone add in Charlie St George's

Is that place an actual pub? Christ ive been going past there for almost 14 years and never knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Austin's is right next door to the bus entrance to Colbert Station.

It doesn't look like a pub from the outside from the outside:)

If you come out the bus gates at the station it's the first building on the left.

I know the building, just never realised you could get a pint in there. While we are in the area the guinness in the Charlie St George is fantastic too but because of where the pub is and the shams usually knocking around outside it tends to get ignored. Although no doubt the regulars love it that way.

Edit - already mentioned above.

There used to be a sign behind the bar in Charlie St Georges saying no chips allowed a few years ago.

A few years since i've been in there so not sure if its still there or what exact words of the sign were

There's another pub at the other side of the train station (across from Luigi's IYKWIM). And don't forget the Garda club either.

Also there's a place on Davis Street. The black swan or something like that.

There's another pub at the other side of the train station (across from Luigi's IYKWIM). And don't forget the Garda club either.
    Mark Murphy's. Early morning pub

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭sioda

Garda club is gone. Mention for Slatterys on edward street great guiness

The Gate bar on Lock Quay used to do a nice pint.:)

I had a gorgeous pint of plain outside Clohessy's a few weeks back. Maybe it was the nice weather and the swans on the river but it was one of the nicest ive had in a while.

That's a rarity in Clohessy's, and I mean the pint and not the weather. Hate having to change my drink because of the pub i'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭sioda

brian2me wrote: »
    That's a rarity in Clohessy's, and I mean the pint and not the weather. Hate having to change my drink because of the pub i'm in.

Gotta agree here guiness there is always bad main reason I don't drink there and it's more expensive than other pubs in town

• Advertisement

Had a few pints in Cobblestone Joes yesterday evening not bad, friendly efficient service with a good pint of the black stuff

Advertisement