*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012* - Page 45 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-02-2012, 22:36   #661
jenny18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollingr View Post
if you look at the graph there is clearly two people in and around 242, with 242 not clearly marked as the maximum, so I don't know on what you are basing your assumption other than what you were told by med ent people and what they know about their own students. They said 242 was the highest but they may just be speculating, as they have no extra information other than what past pupils give them and the official test data.

The girl I am talking about got 78, 99 and 66 respectively adding up to 243. All she did was a career services day course, one of their prep tests, and the two official ones.
nothing to do with what ******* told me the girl who got the highest was on boards said what she got maybe you're right and it was 243 and i looked at hpat. i don't think ******* necessarily helps didn't do it last year got 179 did it this year and found i was more stressed because of it. but the girl who said she got the highest 243 everyone said she was lying as people who where on that forum will remember, and she was a mature student and didn't even get med for whatever reasons i private mailed her asking if she did med-entry as i knew i was going to repeat anyway for medicine, and that is what i was told. but maybe your right anything's possible maybe there was a joint highest i don't know i don't work for acer.

Last edited by spurious; 27-02-2012 at 07:01.
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 22:42   #662
Helloxoxo

I think that ******** definitely helps with section 1&3 the ones I had been practising were a lot harder so I found them easy on Saturday! I had seen similar material for section 3 but harder so it was great! But it definitely didn't help my section 2 which was already my weakest section and definitely my weakest on Saturday, I wouldn't be surprised if I got none correct!
26-02-2012, 22:47   #663
finality

I love section 2. It just makes sense to me I guess, though I do want to become a psychiatrist so it's probably good if I understand people. :L

Section 3 is the devil. Although I did find it better on Saturday than in the practise test I did! (13/30, disaster :L)
27-02-2012, 00:39   #664
DepoProvera

Quote:
Originally Posted by finality View Post
in the towel question I said she realised the relationship had changed - at the end she said something about how the records of the phone calls would have been proof for her, I don't think she was being flippant, she was being quite serious about the whole thing...don't think she thought she was losing either, she was sticking to her guns.
Yeah i said that too, I think the passage made a point about how comfortable with each other they were(him on the toilet, nakedness) so her covering up showed a change?

I hope all these people who are this confident aren't saying so in real life as I remember last year the absolute ridicule these people got.. Always the dark horses
27-02-2012, 01:07   #665
partyatmygaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepoProvera View Post
Yeah i said that too, I think the passage made a point about how comfortable with each other they were(him on the toilet, nakedness) so her covering up showed a change?
While i'd agree with you about the "calm and comfortable" bit, I can't say i'd say the same for the towel question.

I don't see how a small argument about how the guy was handling his stalker could have lead to any significant change in the relationship. She appeared concerned for her partner more than anything in the extract. I'd have thought what she did at the end was something of a passive-aggressive reprimand directed at him for whatever he did (I vaguely remember something about deleting recordings?).
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 07:10   #666
Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepoProvera View Post

I hope all these people who are this confident aren't saying so in real life as I remember last year the absolute ridicule these people got.. Always the dark horses
I said a change in their relationship too, as at the beginning of the passage they are very comfortable with each other sharing the bathroom, but by the end she seems to be less comfortable, so grabs the towel
27-02-2012, 09:02   #667
BrendaN_f

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyatmygaff View Post
While i'd agree with you about the "calm and comfortable" bit, I can't say i'd say the same for the towel question.

I don't see how a small argument about how the guy was handling his stalker could have lead to any significant change in the relationship. She appeared concerned for her partner more than anything in the extract. I'd have thought what she did at the end was something of a passive-aggressive reprimand directed at him for whatever he did (I vaguely remember something about deleting recordings?).
i actually got the feeling that she suspected he was covering something of a sexual nature up by deleting all the messages etc. so, i went with the "relationship change" answer as i felt she had some sort of realisation that he had been cheating on her and she became bashful
27-02-2012, 10:23   #668
hollingr

from the start of the passage she was distrustful of the whole stalker theory (she wished he didn't delete the msgs because she wants proof, and even says that to him) We aren't given any indication that he is lying or delusional, the evidence in the passage leaned more towards stalker being real.

At the end of the passage nothing had really changed in their relationship as far as I could see.. she is still not believing, and he seemed kinda of pissed off about her questioning his reality.

It did seem a lot more tense between them after she questions/confronts him on it though, so maybe that counts as a change in their relationship, who knows. For me the towel thing seemed more like her closing herself away from him after an argument, so I think I chose whatever fit in best with that, but I wouldn't have much confidence in section 2's toughest questions, it always seems more like a healthy combination of instinct and guesswork.

I think the right option was just that it was a really cold day and she wanted a towel to dry herself fast, but for some crazy reason that wasn't one of the options..
27-02-2012, 10:57   #669
partyatmygaff

I've found the book where the extract was taken from: "Enduring Love" by Bran Nicols.

According to plot summaries I've read... Joe and Clarissa have a "comfortable" relationship that's strained by Joe's stalker Parry and Clarissa's belief that Joe has started to lose his mind.

Overall, although the relationship does appear to change somewhat, I don't think you can say it changed significantly in the extract. She's afraid he's going mad when she says "It may be a symptom rather than a cause" and seems annoyed and frustrated more than anything near the end.

MCQs really aren't the best way to ask questions like these tbh. There's so much ambiguity that it's difficult to conclusively determine the correct answer.
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 11:00   #670
finality

I think she was annoyed with him and wanted to sort of close off with him as it was no longer a comfortable situation, I didn't think any of the options really fit it to be honest.
27-02-2012, 18:39   #671
penguin_p

when do the results come out?
27-02-2012, 19:33   #672
hollingr

Pasted from UCD Booklet on undergraduate entry to medicine:

Date of HPAT-Ireland test25 Feb, 2012
HPAT-Ireland test result to candidates 25 April, 2012
Collation of HPAT score & leaving results15 to 20 Aug, 2012 (provisional)
Round 1 CAO offers20 August, 2012 (provisional)
28-02-2012, 00:11   #673
spots

All in all its pure and utter luck! It's pathetic really how our future depends on a test that is based on how our peers do. I know I seem like a right cynic but if I have any chance of getting into medicine it will be the hpat that saves me. I've done loads of practice tests including two last friday where I got 244 and 243 (perfect in section 3 may i add) but there are other people from my school who are smarter than me and deserve it more but they just can't get to grips with the hpat. The whole system needs a radical reform! Like when will you need to know anything you learned during Irish or English that you'll use if you're a doctor? We should be picking 3 or 4 subjects that are relevant to what we hope to study in University instead of 7 or more subjects with a stressful aptitude test thrown on top. The quicker those c*nts above in the dept. of education realise that the better!
28-02-2012, 14:40   #674
hollingr

Quote:
Originally Posted by spots View Post
I've done loads of practice tests including two last friday where I got 244 and 243 (perfect in section 3 may i add)

ehm.. how did you calculate your score exactly? The questions are weighted, you could easily have gotten 150 or 280 after putting your scores through acer's bell curve formula, there is no way of knowing... its how you did compared to everyone else that counts, on a question by question basis.
28-02-2012, 22:27   #675
UnholyGregor

i reckon she realised the relationship had changed. she had no problem being naked in front of her husband, then when he reveals that he deleted the messages without letting anyone see them, he suddenly feels tired and wants to go to bed.... seems like hes hiding something. the wife suddenly feels uncomfortable so covers up. i think she suspects somethings going on other than stalking (ie; its a cover up for him cheating) .

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion