Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Will Waterford Win Waterford?
Yes The results are hidden 0%
No The results are hidden 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

20-05-2012, 12:56   #2701
Mountainlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hslaw View Post
Maybe its time to stop underestimating clubs from the west,they are getting better,
Undoubtedly, but Ballyduff Upper at present are bottom of Group 2, and Dunhill are not an eastern team and that was a really bad result for Mount Sion. I wouldn't put too much stock in the league mind you, I'd imagine they were missing all their County players bar Tony so it's probably irrelevant. They are, however, fighting for their lives if they lose to Fourmilewater next weekend.
Advertisement
20-05-2012, 14:48   #2702
daddydick

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/g...on-194432.html

Good article here from yesterdays examiner. The committment given by the footballers that come from Dublin for training midweek is unbelivable...best of luck to them today in Limerick.

Even without Hurney I fancy an upset, especially if Ferncombe starts, he's extremely dangerous.

Great start to the day with the juniors winning by 6 points, lets hope the seniors follow suit.
20-05-2012, 15:08   #2703
Top drawer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainlad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hslaw View Post
Maybe its time to stop underestimating clubs from the west,they are getting better,
Undoubtedly, but Ballyduff Upper at present are bottom of Group 2, and Dunhill are not an eastern team and that was a really bad result for Mount Sion. I wouldn't put too much stock in the league mind you, I'd imagine they were missing all their County players bar Tony so it's probably irrelevant. They are, however, fighting for their lives if they lose to Fourmilewater next weekend.
Ive worked out that if dunhill lose to roanmore and mount sion lose to fourmile and tallow, sion are in relegation, i dont think anybody underestimates the teams from the west anymore, west abu
Thanks from:
20-05-2012, 15:55   #2704
Top drawer

[/Quote]
Ive worked out that if dunhill lose to roanmore and mount sion lose to fourmile and tallow, sion are in relegation, i dont think anybody underestimates the teams from the west anymore, west abu[/Quote]
As in roanmore will have 3 points, dunhill 2 and sion be bottom regardless of roanmore game because of head to head with dunhill game
20-05-2012, 16:21   #2705
deisebhoy17
Closed Account

Quote:
15 strawberries
good one
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-05-2012, 17:23   #2706
zol 2

Limerick 2-12 Waterford 0-7

We failed to score in the second half having put up a sterling effort in the first half,what went wrong?
20-05-2012, 17:26   #2707
Fireball07

Quote:
Originally Posted by zol 2 View Post
Limerick 2-12 Waterford 0-7

We failed to score in the second half having put up a sterling effort in the first half,what went wrong?
Sounded like the option-taking by Waterford was terrible in the second half. After you missed the penalty, it all went wrong I think.

We also upped our defensive effort.
20-05-2012, 17:29   #2708
zol 2

Waterford minor hurlers:

Waterford 3-24

Laois 0-12

A second string Waterford outfit won this comfortably today in Walsh Park.None of the 15 that started against Clare started here.

One piece of bad news to come out of the camp is that Cathal Curran will miss the Tipp game as he will be having a hand operation next week and will be out for up to 8 weeks.
20-05-2012, 18:08   #2709
deisebhoy17
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball07 View Post
Sounded like the option-taking by Waterford was terrible in the second half. After you missed the penalty, it all went wrong I think.

We also upped our defensive effort.
Very hard to take any positives out of this. No score in the 2nd half against a pretty poor limerick side. Further underlines how much we rely on Gary Hurney (who isnt going to be around for ever either).

John Owens I know has been critical of the co. boards decision to play a round of the hurling championship last weekend, he has a point as football championship games have often been cancelled weeks before the hurlers are due to play, but in truth we have gone backwards this year anyway and Id question if Owens has much more to offer after this season is over. Our record in the qualifiers is so bad its hard to see us doing anything in that either. Its been a pretty grim year for waterford football overall
Advertisement
20-05-2012, 18:09   #2710
deisebhoy17
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by zol 2 View Post
One piece of bad news to come out of the camp is that Cathal Curran will miss the Tipp game as he will be having a hand operation next week and will be out for up to 8 weeks.
Big loss becuase that lad was outstanding in Ennis and for Col na Deise this season
20-05-2012, 19:29   #2711
Mountainlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by deisebhoy17 View Post
Very hard to take any positives out of this. No score in the 2nd half against a pretty poor limerick side. Further underlines how much we rely on Gary Hurney (who isnt going to be around for ever either).

John Owens I know has been critical of the co. boards decision to play a round of the hurling championship last weekend, he has a point as football championship games have often been cancelled weeks before the hurlers are due to play, but in truth we have gone backwards this year anyway and Id question if Owens has much more to offer after this season is over. Our record in the qualifiers is so bad its hard to see us doing anything in that either. Its been a pretty grim year for waterford football overall
Ah they're missing more than Hurney though. Paul Whyte missed out today, a player I've fierce respect for. Tommy Prender is only just back after a long lay off. Dunno what the story with Mick Ahearn is but they could really do with him too.

The way Waterford football has been underage the last few years it's hard to see where the Seniors are supposed to get the players and the ability to drive on, there's no real foundation to build from. I don't think we've a bad football team, they could do with a boost though.
21-05-2012, 09:47   #2712
hardybuck

Quote:
Ah they're missing more than Hurney though. Paul Whyte missed out today, a player I've fierce respect for. Tommy Prender is only just back after a long lay off. Dunno what the story with Mick Ahearn is but they could really do with him too.

The way Waterford football has been underage the last few years it's hard to see where the Seniors are supposed to get the players and the ability to drive on, there's no real foundation to build from. I don't think we've a bad football team, they could do with a boost though.
They've been operating like a country club side in recent years, hoping to have a strong underage team every few years, and then bring the odd lad through every year.

I'm worried about the long term as the standard of underteams has fallen dramatically in recent years, and from what I can see the underage club standard has gone in a similar direction.

I heard that the Co.B are looking for a Director of Football, and at least this might be a move in the right direction. Every other county around us have upped their game, we need to do likewise.
21-05-2012, 10:07   #2713
Black Suir
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardybuck View Post
They've been operating like a country club side in recent years, hoping to have a strong underage team every few years, and then bring the odd lad through every year.

I'm worried about the long term as the standard of underteams has fallen dramatically in recent years, and from what I can see the underage club standard has gone in a similar direction.

I heard that the Co.B are looking for a Director of Football, and at least this might be a move in the right direction. Every other county around us have upped their game, we need to do likewise.
The story on the ground is that Clubs were asked to forward names of those who they think might be best suited for the position. Only one name was forwarded, rumoured to be a present county senior footballer and he turned down the position. The County Board and Coiste Peil are now supposed to be looking for someone between them. I know there it is not right to name names here at times but will here. I believe we have a very good man in the county to fill the positon if asked - John 'Jackson' Kiely. Whoever takes the job will have to be back fully by the county board, as should Bord na nÓg and the Coaching Committee. Tipp have come on alot after John Evans got involved there. There is no reason why the same cant happen here.
21-05-2012, 10:13   #2714
hardybuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Suir View Post
The story on the ground is that Clubs were asked to forward names of those who they think might be best suited for the position. Only one name was forwarded, rumoured to be a present county senior footballer and he turned down the position. The County Board and Coiste Peil are now supposed to be looking for someone between them. I know there it is not right to name names here at times but will here. I believe we have a very good man in the county to fill the positon if asked - John 'Jackson' Kiely. Whoever takes the job will have to be back fully by the county board, as should Bord na nÓg and the Coaching Committee. Tipp have come on alot after John Evans got involved there. There is no reason why the same cant happen here.
I heard the name forwarded, and I think he would be a fantastic choice. I think that this position is unpaid, which wouldn't help when attracting candidates.
21-05-2012, 13:10   #2715
solarith

Anyone recommending John Kiely for an administrative position clearly has no experience of dealing with him.

// edit

I literally cannot stress how bad a choice this would be. The position is about promotion of underage football through administration and organization. Kiely has some qualities but these are not them. Not even close.

Last edited by solarith; 21-05-2012 at 13:13.
Thread Closed