Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

11-12-2011, 16:53   #1621
Gingersnaps
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercar View Post
I'm not warming to Val at all - dont think I ever will. The new shop seems to only stock, apart from the deli counter, bottled water, chocolates,sweets etc. I havn't seen any sign of the basics eg. bread, milk, ie the staples. Also none of the businesses, homes, have any christmas decorations up yet. I could in, away understand why the shop wouldn't with the renovations. But seeing as last Thursday Dec 8th was officially the first day of Christmas, Carraigstown must be the only place in the country to have forgotton that Christmas is so close. I expect come Tuesday the place will be festooned with Fairy lights, tinsil etc. The residents and traders will be working furiousley over the weekend to get it all looking lovely and Christmassy. I'll be very surprised if they have it done by tonight!
There was a Christmas market last week.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-12-2011, 18:41   #1622
iguana

And Bob was discussing the street decorations with Louie during the week, on Thursday I think.
(2) thanks from:
11-12-2011, 20:09   #1623
JP Liz V1

I'm fed up of Louie and Bob's fighting and why the hell is Christy friends with both of them still they both stole his women
12-12-2011, 02:46   #1624
Harry Angstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fittle View Post
I often wonder at the impact of advertising like this though - would Christy's shop being a Spar, now make you go to a Spar when you wouldn't have previously?
There's a SuperValu down the road from me and there's a Spar about 15 miles from where I live, but ever since I've been watching Christy's new shop in Fair City I have this strange compunction to get 3 buses to the Spar shop to get a box of Celebrations, a salad roll and a bottle of water. I guess subliminal advertising really does work!
Thanks from:
12-12-2011, 11:03   #1625
angel01
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Liz V1 View Post
I'm fed up of Louie and Bob's fighting and why the hell is Christy friends with both of them still they both stole his women
It is all a bit panto... I think Christy wants to move on, life is short, there is no point in hating people.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-12-2011, 14:36   #1626
JP Liz V1

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel01 View Post
It is all a bit bad panto... I think Christy wants to move on, life is short, there is no point in hating people.
FYP
12-12-2011, 17:27   #1627
Sigourney

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel01 View Post
Have to say I thought the camera work was very poor in the last few episodes, on Thursdays episode, it was very poor, it was making me feel sea sick with the camera shaking so much
+1

I thought the shop looked like something from a German expressionist film the other night. I felt strangely dissociated.

Thanks from:
12-12-2011, 18:34   #1628
Silvio.Dante
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Liz V1 View Post
Absolutely. It makes Christy look like a right prune...
13-12-2011, 08:35   #1629
angel01
Closed Account

Sunday, Dec 18

Spoiler: A whole host of Carrigstown residents have slept on the street overnight. Bob is delighted with the amount raised and how the idea was a huge success, so he offers free breakfast to everyone. Soon afterwards, Bob asks Val where the collection bucket is. When she says that she doesn't have it, Eileen accuses Bob of stealing the bucket. Shocked, he walks away.

Bob's accusers follow him out of the Hungry Pig and he tries to explain that he didn't take it, while Sean tells a furious Eileen that she's not being fair on Bob. Later, Zumo and Decco arrive at the Hungry Pig and announce to everyone that they found out who really stole the sleep-out money. Bob thanks the Bishops for clearing his name and they reach an understanding.

Meanwhile, an excited Caoimhe convinces Orla to go shoplifting again. Though Orla is slow to agree, she's finally persuaded to do so. Caoimhe and Orla head into town and Orla bores Caoimhe with her list of rules. Caoimhe doesn't listen and steals a whole host of stuff for herself and some for Orla as well.

Elsewhere, Suzanne accepts that moving home makes the most financial sense, but inadvertently hurts Bela in the process - saying that she's moving to save money and not to live with him. In McCoys, a big celebration takes place for Rachel's adoption, but Suzanne feels caught in a tug of love between Bela and Esther as they both want to spend time with her.

Tuesday, Dec 20

Spoiler: Jo and Dermot get an upsetting phone call when they learn that Kelly and Zoe's father is sick, so they won't be able to go home to him for Christmas. They are forced to break the news to the pair, but promise that they will try and make this Christmas as happy for the girls as possible. However, Kelly soon announces that she is going to see her dad, and Jo and Dermot fail to stop her.

Soon afterwards, Dermot runs after Kelly, telling her that he is going to accompany her to the hospital. Later, Jo and Dermot vow to adopt the girls' family Christmas to make them feel at home.

Meanwhile, Orla tells Caoimhe that she doesn't have time to buy a Christmas present for Esther, so Caoimhe promises that she will steal a present for her. Caoimhe tells Orla that all of her Christmas presents are going to be stolen this year.

Elsewhere, Eileen prepares for Christmas and notes that Vivienne is upset because Denzo won't be home this Christmas. She urges the rest of the family to be considerate towards Vivienne.

Also today, Val tells Christy that he shouldn't be on his own this Christmas and that he should spend it with her, her daughter and grandson.

Wed, Dec 21

Spoiler: Bob has organised a community event for Santas to sing and give children presents. A gang of Santas get off the bus outside the community centre, and one in particular is very nervous-looking. Zoe takes a special liking to the quiet Santa and goes up to talk to him. She follows him into the park, where they sit and chat about her sick dad.

Back at the community centre, Jo realises that Zoe is missing and completely panics. Tommy goes to the park looking for her, so the mysterious Santa persuades Zoe to go out to Tommy and go back to Carrigstown with him. Back at Monastery Avenue, the strange Santa enters the house and they are shocked when he reveals himself as Denzo. He pleads with his bother to let him see his mum and gran and is delighted when they finally agree to do so.

Meanwhile, Bob parts on bad terms with Rebecca, telling her that he never wants to see her again.

Elsewhere, Esther decides to pretend to Charlie that they're having a 'Slim Star meal' for Christmas Day; Sash chats to Dean about her past Christmases; Niamh asks a delighted Orla for dinner at their house; Suzanne reveals the sex of her unborn child to Esther but she makes her promise not to say it to Bela; while Pete annoys Dolores by saying that he won't have much time before Christmas to hang out with her.
Advertisement
13-12-2011, 13:53   #1630
msg11

Well at leased that explains where Orla is getting the luxury cloths from. And is the Spar a real Spar in RTE , it's fairly well stocked. Like all the fresh food would need to be replaced everywhere. I hope the tax payer is not footing that bill!
13-12-2011, 14:02   #1631
C-J
Closed Account

Its not a real spar but has all the elements of one. I know the kabin in coronation street always keep the stock in date. I read somewhere that in places like the hungry pig a sort of varnish is applied to the doughnuts on display etc to make them look appetising and fresh. I would imagine that the fruit veg etc in the spar would just be replaced regularly and probably donated to food shelters etc thats what lidl aldi etc do with their left over food!
13-12-2011, 18:14   #1632
Shlippery

I was fairly impressed with the Spar thing...I mean..they actually decked out a whole shop..properly. From labels to feckin offers..fairly meticulous. Accurate prices and everything...Yoplait 62c each
Thanks from:
13-12-2011, 19:17   #1633
Harry Angstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg11 View Post
And is the Spar a real Spar in RTE , it's fairly well stocked. Like all the fresh food would need to be replaced everywhere. I hope the tax payer is not footing that bill!
I'm wondering about all those extras who they'll have to pay for walking around the shop. When Christy had his small shop they could get away with having no customers in it, apart from the odd one or two, but now practically every scene in the Spar shop is going to need plenty of extras so that it doesn't look too deserted. It wouldn't look good for Spar if they didn't have any customers.
13-12-2011, 19:28   #1634
C-J
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Angstrom View Post
I'm wondering about all those extras who they'll have to pay for walking around the shop. When Christy had his small shop they could get away with having no customers in it, apart from the odd one or two, but now practically every scene in the Spar shop is going to need plenty of extras so that it doesn't look too deserted. It wouldn't look good for Spar if they didn't have any customers.
true! i was hoping they'd have a breakfast bar /coffee dock like some stores, everybody in carrigstown has breakfast /lunch and dinner out and drinks copious amounts of coffee so christy would be cleaning up!
13-12-2011, 20:27   #1635
Long Room Hubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Angstrom View Post
That's a great point. We have to see these sixteen employees from time to time. But Spar are paying more than enough, I would say. It's nearly a million euro over three years. That's enough to hire a bus load of extras to walk through the shop chanting the specials of the day.

I wonder if it will work the other way. Will Spar start using Fair City people in their ads now?
(3) thanks from:
Thread Closed