Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

16-05-2012, 12:19   #8026
waveform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
I'm finding US sellers an aboslute joke at the moment for shipping. Every game I want has shipping to Ireland at $15 and yet there's US sellers like Lukie games who will ship titles from the same system for $3-4. My friend in America sent me a massive box full of games and other videogame related crap for $14 dollars so I don't see where they are getting this since it was sent with USPS like these sellers.
Pfft, you're finding them a joke?

I got quoted $150 dollars something, to post one Bloody Vectrex game!

And it wasn't a typo either has he had it to 2 decimal places like $150.43!!!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...8#post78529758
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-05-2012, 12:20   #8027
a5y

Quote:
Pretty much the way it should be for any collector until you get to the Dreamcast where they had good 60Hz conversions and later PS2 games. Wish I'd done that for the N64 :/
where they had good 60Hz conversions?

I assumed all Dreamcast PAL games were 50Hz (based on my tiny collection and an unmodded PAL console ).

Are you saying theres a significant number of PAL region Dreamcast GDROM games in 60Hz?

(Ignoring the later no region protection CD releases)
16-05-2012, 12:23   #8028
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post
When you're trying to work out how much something is worth, don't take shipping into it. I know it's a part of the overall cost, but it doesn't really help value the item itself! So what I'd do is figure out what it's worth going on auction prices & ended auctions - then find something around that price with good shipping.
Thats well & good when the pricing is consistent & there's loads of examples. But you get some sellers offering games at a cheap BIN, only to hike up the postage [as a way of defeating charges], & throw that into the loop of not many examples of a loose unboxed one...I was left wondering.

I bought it for €31 including delivery to Ireland, I thought it was pretty ok at that. I'll give the 16bit consoles a rest now & focus on other cart based consoles for a while. I wouldn't mind eventually having a complete set of NTSC 32X titles.

Quote:
In general, PAL English releases tend to be rarer than NTSC US ones. For most consoles. Just think of the market size difference really - there would be many more US NTSC copies printed of most games.

The 32X especially - NTSC games are all much cheaper. Just compare stuff like NTSC Chaotix, Kolibri and TMEK to the PAL versions, the difference is crazy.

A US 32X complete collection isn't the hardest thing in the world to do. A PAL one? You need thousands to spend.
Yeah agreed, a PAL 32X collection can fugg right off in this case
16-05-2012, 12:26   #8029
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
and yet there's US sellers like Lukie games who will ship titles from the same system for $3-4.
Not only that, but his combined shipping is only $1 per item Was perusing his store last night, very tempting stuff
16-05-2012, 12:44   #8030
waveform

Anyone up for my dayZ outdoor survival challenge?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...6#post78708826
Advertisement
16-05-2012, 12:51   #8031
o1s1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
Anyone up for my dayZ outdoor survival challenge?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...6#post78708826
Closest you'll get to real life DayZ is a halloween night game on an airsoft site.

I remember a few years ago (I think it was HRTA in Swords) had a night game with Zombies. I heard it was very, very scary.
Thanks from:
16-05-2012, 12:52   #8032
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Went ahead & purchased a Gamecube RGB scart from consolegoods. Hopefully it'll do the job.
Thanks from:
16-05-2012, 12:56   #8033
Retr0gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5y View Post
where they had good 60Hz conversions?

I assumed all Dreamcast PAL games were 50Hz (based on my tiny collection and an unmodded PAL console ).

Are you saying theres a significant number of PAL region Dreamcast GDROM games in 60Hz?

(Ignoring the later no region protection CD releases)
Quite a few Dreamcast games supported PAL60 which means that not only are they 60Hz but you get a resolution increase on the US version. I'm pretty sure all Capcom, Namco and Sega games support PAL60 and quite a lot of the library as well.

I remember people going crazy importing Soul Calibur and NTSC dreamcasts only to find out that the PAL version was 60Hz

Also there was a massive backlash against Sony when the PS2 came out and it didn't support PAL60 in games yet the Dreamcast supported it. Games like Devil May Cry and FFX have atrocious PAL conversions. Sony later let developers use NTSC 60Hz as an option in games and most later big games supported it or if it was Konami they did a great PAL conversion. Squaresoft on the other hand didn't bother with 60Hz until Kingdom Hearts.
Thanks from:
16-05-2012, 13:07   #8034
80s Synth Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNow View Post
Went ahead & purchased a Gamecube RGB scart from consolegoods. Hopefully it'll do the job.
I bought two different 3rd party RGB leads and both were giving a crosshatch pattern over the screen. Honestly have never seen a 3rd party get it right.
It wasn't until I picked up an official Nintendo brand cable from a French ebay seller that the real true quality came through.
Advertisement
16-05-2012, 13:10   #8035
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Synth Pop View Post
I bought two different 3rd party RGB leads and both were giving a crosshatch pattern over the screen. Honestly have never seen a 3rd party get it right.
It wasn't until I picked up an official Nintendo brand cable from a French ebay seller that the real true quality came through.
For Gamecube? Or Nintendo in general? I've bought all my RGB cables from console goods & never had an issue
16-05-2012, 13:31   #8036
80s Synth Pop

Quote:
For Gamecube? Or Nintendo in general? I've bought all my RGB cables from console goods & never had an issue
For gamecube. There's a whole thread about it with photos on assemblergames if you are interested.
Thanks from:
16-05-2012, 13:34   #8037
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
For gamecube. There's a whole thread about it with photos on assemblergames if you are interested.
Definitely! Have you a link?
16-05-2012, 13:51   #8038
80s Synth Pop

Quote:
Definitely! Have you a link?
Here is one of the links http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...l=1#post578071

first of all you need the correct components within the cable - caps and resistors. Official SNES/Cube cables had very different components in them which is why the consolegoods "all in one SNES/N64/Cube cable" looks suspect.

Secondly, even if you have the correct components in the cable, it can still look like crap and that's what they are talking about in that assemblergames thread. They are talking about getting a way of tapping the c-sync from the gamecube motherboard as this is known to fix any issues. But as it turns out c-sync is not in the PAL cube. However, if you just go with the heavy 1KG beast of the official cable, it just works perfectly.
16-05-2012, 15:09   #8039
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
Secondly, even if you have the correct components in the cable, it can still look like crap and that's what they are talking about in that assemblergames thread. They are talking about getting a way of tapping the c-sync from the gamecube motherboard as this is known to fix any issues. But as it turns out c-sync is not in the PAL cube. However, if you just go with the heavy 1KG beast of the official cable, it just works perfectly.
The c-sync is needed if your tv doesn't like composite sync it seems, from looking at the thread.

The multi-out on both the Snes & GC is the same, so the only differences are in the cable itself component wise.

Cheers for the link, I'll have a full read through it
16-05-2012, 15:17   #8040
DinoRex

Made one of my rare trips to my family home earlier and picked up some more of my old bits and pieces.

Got a bunch of my Gamecube controllers to make 8 player Double Dash easier to achieve. (still can't find my copy of Double Dash, mind)

Oh and also have Crystal Chronicles, which I believe Retr0 want's to give a go.
Thread Closed