Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

17-08-2011, 12:23   #1
gubbie

Who should leave feedback first?

I have luckily never had untoward feedback left, but have also never had to leave bad feedback.

So I was wondering, when is it that you leave feedback and who should leave it first? I always assumed that since the seller is receiving the money first, then they should put feedback up first because surely as soon as they get the money, then sin sin. I feel that if they hold off to do so until the buyer leaves them feedback, then they do so in case they need to retaliate.

Anyone have any feelings or feel like it should just be whoever has the time to go first or what?

Also (end question): Do I still refer to myself as a seller if I'm giving away something free?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-08-2011, 12:32   #2
foggy_lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubbie View Post
I have luckily never had untoward feedback left, but have also never had to leave bad feedback.

So I was wondering, when is it that you leave feedback and who should leave it first? I always assumed that since the seller is receiving the money first, then they should put feedback up first because surely as soon as they get the money, then sin sin. I feel that if they hold off to do so until the buyer leaves them feedback, then they do so in case they need to retaliate.

Anyone have any feelings or feel like it should just be whoever has the time to go first or what?

Also (end question): Do I still refer to myself as a seller if I'm giving away something free?
In my opinion i think the seller should leave feedback when the deal is done and give their opinions on how it went, the buyer can then start using the goods and when they are happy with their purchase they then leave feedback showing their delight with the goods and also giving points for any delivery or ease of handover etc
Thanks from:
17-08-2011, 12:44   #3
BengaLover

I think the buyer should go first, thus indicating to the seller that all is well with the transaction.
17-08-2011, 12:57   #4
gubbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaLover View Post
I think the buyer should go first, thus indicating to the seller that all is well with the transaction.
I take your point but have to question it at the same time. The buyer makes the first move. All they do is commit to buying and send on the money. If this is done within a reasonable amount of time, then why should they have to wait until the seller has sent the item, inspected the item, and then left feedback for the seller? It feeds back into my original point that they are just hedging their bets in case negative feedback is left on them, or at best, leave none at all. Thus it's creating a false set up whereby, a buyer if even an excellent buyer, will only receive positive feedback if they are willing to leave the seller positive feedback (What seller will leave positive feedback on someone who has just moments earlier left them negative feedback?).

So why should they only get positive feedback, if the seller doesn't screw up?

All in all, I agree with Folly_Lad. (I was just wondering if other people did!)

That saying, I have bought and sold on adverts and it's amazing how quick some people are at leaving feedback... When I buy though, I always leave a few days to inspect the item before leaving feedback.

Actually I'll try and put a poll on this or something (Ok I can't )

Last edited by gubbie; 17-08-2011 at 15:00.
17-08-2011, 13:57   #5
punk77

Sorry Benga,but I have to agree with both gubbie and foggy here.If the buyer sends payment FIRST he/she has 100% upheld their end of the transaction and therefore should be entitled to positive feedback FIRST for doing so.After all,in this case,the buyer takes all the risk.If the seller sends the goods,after payment,and they are not as described then he/she should expect to receive the appropriate feedback without any comeback for the buyer.Sending a PM to the seller is an easier way to let him/her know you have received the goods.
Advertisement
17-08-2011, 14:01   #6
punk77

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubbie View Post
The short answer to this is yes but in this case,the 'buyer' having got the item free should,imo,leave feedback first.
17-08-2011, 14:50   #7
gubbie

Good stuff. I'd always thought the same and was a bit miffed when a seller asked me to leave them feedback without having given me any, or suggesting they would either.
17-08-2011, 15:15   #8
BengaLover

From many many years of selling and buying on ebay, I have seen this discussion on the help boards many times, if I am dealing on ebay I NEVER leave feedback for someone just because they have paid for an item, for the simple reason that from time to time you can get scammers who claim non receipt, and just because a buyer has paid for an item, it dont mean that the transaction is done and dusted.
Therefore, if you DID happen to be unfortunate to get a sale where you post out the item and it doesnt show up, or the buyer is claiming non receipt, opening a dispute etc,and you have given them positive feedback, then they can carry on and scam the next seller.
Im not saying its the norm for this to happen on ebay, but it does from time to time.

i buy lots of items on ebay and many large sellers leave automated feedback within moments of you paying, and I think that can be too easily expolited.
17-08-2011, 15:23   #9
punk77

Adverts.ie vs ebay. No contest As I stated,informing the seller,upon the receipt of goods,via PM rules out the non-receipt issue.
Advertisement
17-08-2011, 16:15   #10
gubbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaLover View Post
From many many years of selling and buying on ebay, I have seen this discussion on the help boards many times, if I am dealing on ebay I NEVER leave feedback for someone just because they have paid for an item, for the simple reason that from time to time you can get scammers who claim non receipt, and just because a buyer has paid for an item, it dont mean that the transaction is done and dusted.
Therefore, if you DID happen to be unfortunate to get a sale where you post out the item and it doesnt show up, or the buyer is claiming non receipt, opening a dispute etc,and you have given them positive feedback, then they can carry on and scam the next seller.
Im not saying its the norm for this to happen on ebay, but it does from time to time.

i buy lots of items on ebay and many large sellers leave automated feedback within moments of you paying, and I think that can be too easily expolited.
As you said that situation is not the norm, and therefore if such a thing happened then it should be left to the seller to ask for the feedback to be removed.

Someone has to go first and I don't think it should be the buyer (unless, as stated before, it's a free item)

Last edited by gubbie; 17-08-2011 at 16:20.
18-08-2011, 12:02   #11
Italia

@BengaLover
I too sell loads of stuff on eBay (and also buy), but I don't agree with your way of doing things.
IMHO the buyer carries all the risk and as far as I'm concerned once he has paid me (obviously within the terms of the sale) he has upheld his part of the deal and is entitled to get immediate feedback. The situations you mention are easily solved by posting with recorded/ registered mail. That way there is a tracking number and everyone is covered.

When I buy on ebay (and here on Adverts) the first thing I do, is look at the seller's feeback rating and how/whether he gives feedback. I look as far back as 12-18 months to look for patterns and comments by other users. If I see anything that I don't like (e.g. only leaving feedback after receiving it or flippant responses to feedback received), I move on to another seller.
Thanks from:
Forum Closed