Wrestling Magazine Thread *Powerslam, WWE Magazine closing* - Page 10 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-04-2012, 15:32   #136
ciano316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Elliott View Post
You made it to our Letters/ Facebook / Twitter section. You now have to buy copies for all your family and friends to preserve your immortality.
I'll buy it tomorrow...

Is it the issue with HHH on the front the newest one??
Advertisement
19-04-2012, 23:24   #137
Brian Elliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciano316 View Post
I'll buy it tomorrow...

Is it the issue with HHH on the front the newest one??
That's the one!
20-04-2012, 12:12   #138
Lord TSC

Mod: Soccer
Ive still got a computer scan of the last letter I got in FSM. Good times

Will be picking the mag up this afternoon with eager anticipation of Cornettes column...
20-04-2012, 19:37   #139
thebostoncrab

I really hate to be that guy, but I have to say it. While the magazines new look is a huge leap forward and the content is, as always, very enjoyable, I really disliked Cornettes column. It was exactly what I feared it would be when I heard he would be writing, him ranting about the WWE, TNA, HHH and Johnny Ace while putting over ROH. I know it is hard not to be with these things, but he came across as bitter and biased as he always has been. I was hoping he would instead give a positive insight to the business and maybe share some great stories, but instead it's another rant about his former employers.

Like I said, the new look is a massive step forward, and the lack of MMA is a log overdue step as it means more top class Wrestlig content DVD reviews. I just hope Jim doesn't go on these rants every month or it will be Alex Shane's self indulgent columns all over again.
20-04-2012, 22:19   #140
Lord TSC

Mod: Soccer
I've got to sit on the other side of the fence; I really liked Cornette's piece and really wish he could get more than two pages (in a perfect world, I'd love the man to write a book).

I think it's a fair point to say he's promoting ROH with an obvious bias but he does acknowledge it. And it's hard to argue with any of the points he made about WWE and TNA's attitude to pushing youth. As far as an introductory article for a publication goes, he lays out his opinions pretty clearly; you know what you're going to be getting when you read his stuff and hopefully he expands on things as the months go by. Yeah, he's going to push his own stuff ahead of others, but again I say, it's hard to disagree with his stances on Russo, developmental and all that stuff...

On a side note, it's nice to have a magazine discussing the last PPV and being more or less up to date I know it's near impossible to keep up to date 100% but I really get frustrated when magazines come out discussing PPV #1 when the viewer has just watched PPV #2. The joys of a print publication trying to compete with the net I guess. Just nice to be reading about Mania only two weeks after Mania.
Advertisement
21-04-2012, 14:48   #141
Machismo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebostoncrab View Post
I really disliked Cornettes column
Cornette's lunatic rantings unfortunately have a (probably rather large) market.

Last edited by jaykhunter; 21-04-2012 at 15:07. Reason: pls don't quote lots of text! cheers
21-04-2012, 15:17   #142
GTR63
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machismo Fan View Post
Cornette's lunatic rantings unfortunately have a (probably rather large) market.
Yeah I find if you read one of his interviews you have read them all. While some of his points are valid there is no point bringing them up again & again.
21-04-2012, 16:56   #143
thebostoncrab

While Jim brings up good points, it is nothing new from him. Like the guys said, it's the exact same stuff he says with every interview he has done. At first it seemed like he was only doing it to highlight what needs to be changed, now at this point he just seems really really bitter. Like I said, I hope next month he spends his time focusing on something else rather what everyone else is doing wrong and how he always gets it right. (Even though ROH isn't nowhere near as good a product as with was under Gabe and towards the end of Pearces reign.)
21-04-2012, 17:03   #144
GTR63
Closed Account

I believes The Greatest Man that Ever Lived said recently its now Smokey Mountain of Honor. I wonder will Stone Cold write about stuff outside WWE & stick the boot in so to speak on parts of the product he dislikes without getting flak for it by wwe.
Advertisement
21-04-2012, 17:35   #145
JoeSnow
Closed Account

I liked the new layout of FSM magazine.
22-04-2012, 12:41   #146
rovert

Ever since ROH moved their TV to Sinclair I very genuinely really don't think there has been a more vocal critic online than me. I completely understand the personal criticisms of Jim too but developmental was and is a major topic of conversation recently. Whether it is FCW leaving their TV station, WWE opening up another in Connecticut to this weeks CAC Jim Ross speech: http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-t...-reach-the-wwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSnow View Post
I liked the new layout of FSM magazine.
It really is.

Got a super big kick out of the Talksport/Revival series of articles as that radio show was so influential in my Wrestling fandom and it being an interesting story of a toxic mix radio station and Pro Wrestling politics coming together. Probably cant think of a worse combination actually.

Another article I liked was Lister's Finlay piece. I admit to generalising and possibly giving a bunch of people the short shrift here. But I think Stateside writers understand that Finlay is a big deal in terms of the later 20th/early 21st century fabric of British Wrestling as this type of learnt response but they dont know the who, what, when and why of it all. John Lister has always been able to write credibility about the history British Wrestling despite being only a fairly young man himself. John gets it.
22-04-2012, 19:57   #147
Brian Elliott

Thanks for all the constructive criticism, folks.

There's no need to fear regarding the subject of Cornette's future columns. Jim wanted to talk about youth development in wrestling for his first column because it's a subject extremely close to his heart, but he is as aware as anyone that WWE and TNA bashing is not the way forward, and neither is smothering FSM readers in Ring of Honor rhetoric. Jim even mentioned this in the column itself.

There will, of course, be a deserved time and place for all of the above, but we're going to make the most of Jim's knowledge and experience in this column.

Last edited by Brian Elliott; 22-04-2012 at 20:03.
Thanks from:
23-04-2012, 10:22   #148
rovert

I guess we will be reading this Jim

Thanks from:
23-04-2012, 14:11   #149
Brian Elliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert View Post
I guess we will be reading this Jim

I think I'm going to have to ask him to explain himself!
Thanks from:
23-04-2012, 14:53   #150
Charisteas

Who's that sitting next to Cornette?

Looks like Matt Striker or Shane McMahon but the time period would rule out Striker and I don't remember Cornette/Shane'O doing commentary together.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion