Cold weather affects your dongle - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-08-2011, 14:16   #1
Sponge Bob
Banned

Cold weather affects your dongle

Had to laugh at this one. I reckon it was cell breathing kicking in myself.

http://www.irishpressreleases.ie/201...election-2011/

Quote:
The best some people can get is a broadband dongle which they plug into their laptop and wander round outside till they get a steady blue light on it. They then have to retrace their steps back as near as possible to their house and with a bit of luck get a connection from near a window. They then have to use an extension cable and dangle this dongle out the window every time they want broadband. If it freezes the dongle will not work and so it needs to be kept warm on the mantle piece over the fire when not in use.
Did anyone else suffer from the Green Party Frozen Dongle syndrome last winter.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-08-2011, 01:01   #2
LaVail

Cold weather affects my dongle too
Thanks from:
13-08-2011, 03:04   #3
Tommy Lagahan

I had to put a fan on my e1820 to stop it from overheating and disconnecting for 10 mins every hour or so of CoD online.It seems that the modems aren't expected to handle HSPA mode for extended periods of time (the cyan/ bright blue light). My repeater unit doesn't operate until its been heated up for a while with the fan off though (my modem is right in front of the repeater). I think the masts themselves froze last winter, nobody could connect during the night time
13-08-2011, 21:34   #4
PogMoThoin
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Lagahan View Post
I had to put a fan on my e1820 to stop it from overheating and disconnecting for 10 mins every hour or so of CoD online.It seems that the modems aren't expected to handle HSPA mode for extended periods of time (the cyan/ bright blue light). My repeater unit doesn't operate until its been heated up for a while with the fan off though (my modem is right in front of the repeater). I think the masts themselves froze last winter, nobody could connect during the night time
CoD on mobile
You must be warping and seeing people after they've already killed you, mobile isn't at all suitable for games like CoD when the latency is so high, it needs low ping, mobile can't consistently do this.
14-08-2011, 09:36   #5
hotwhiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogMoThoin View Post
CoD on mobile
You must be warping and seeing people after they've already killed you, mobile isn't at all suitable for games like CoD when the latency is so high, it needs low ping, mobile can't consistently do this.
I have!

I also play GT5 on mobile at these speeds its ok, but at peak times it will drop down between 2 and 3mb and ping around 100. But i took major measures to get those speeds before this was only getting 1mb offpeak and nothing at peak times.
Advertisement
14-08-2011, 13:15   #6
Tommy Lagahan

I've been playing cod on mobile for 3 years, yes the ping is horrible, 140-300ms averaging 180, but I don't warp much in MW2 and COD4, BOps' matchmaking system is useless on ps3 but still managing 2.55KDR. Playing cod 4 is surprisingly fine on PC with a dedicated server connection. You get used to being about a second behind everybody else anyway... (I'm pretty sure what i get on cod's lagometer is exactly what you're not supposed to see though xD) Gonna pwn next year when I go to college and get actual broadband
Hot whiskey you must be close to the mast to have a ping like that 0_0 I've never gone under 90ms for more than an hour once per blue moon....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion