Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

On The Other Hand web site feedback

Options
  • 09-08-2011 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Thread Closed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You need to look at the previous good feedback you received in May and reconsider getting a designer to help without general website issues, conversion, SEO and marketing.

Some points:

Edit: Removed, wasted my time on this one.

hth and gl

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EWJim

thread closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

EWJim wrote: »
    I am happy enough with the design of the web site as is as i am geting good feed back else were. o

I am really only looking for Feedback on the site, as most people that will access the site will be directed via google searches on the keywords for my site and they know what the site will be about before clicking
    I do not need a Snag List, as the site will not be live until Saturday.
    And i did say in my post
    "There is still a little more content to add Like Pictures and Videos on some pages but we are 95% there."

If there was one perfect way of making a web sites, we would not need Web developers to make sites from Open Source Software and charging an arm and leg to do so. This site wil grow and change over time to what suites.

On the Last site I put up it was a Free web site builder from Google and Black Night in "Get Ireland Online" and no matter how standard it is it has served it purpose in getting me a good mail list following.

P.S Shakespeare's works (widely regarded as the greatest in the English language) where strewn with bad grammar and spelling errors, So can the Grammar Police Give please give us plebs a break. :)

You really aren't interested in feedback at all are you? You're just interested in validation/approval.

Unfortunately that's not going to happen - a cursory glance at your homepage, by anyone with even basic experience designing commercial sites, will throw up any number of serious issues with the design. Tricky D has pointed out quite a few of them with suggested solutions, but you've chosen to ignore him. And apparently, you've also ignored the feedback in a previous thread you posted.

Best of luck with your site, hope the anecdotes help pay the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I am getting some horrible formatting on Chrome on Windows 7. "Info & Resources" link is all white so you can't read it. and it appears underneath the "Home" link on the navigation.

Why are all the navigation items links but only half of them actually link somewhere?

Only had a quick look through, but in my opinion it is nowhere near finished

Dermo wrote: »
    I am getting some horrible formatting on Chrome on Windows 7. "Info & Resources" link is all white so you can't read it. and it appears underneath the "Home" link on the navigation.

Why are all the navigation items links but only half of them actually link somewhere?

Only had a quick look through, but in my opinion it is nowhere near finished

We are working on the site adding content, so some menus are closed as we work on them. I think that why some links are closed for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

We are working on the site adding content, so some menus are closed as we work on them. I think that why some links are closed for you.

So the links to "About Us" "News & Events" and "How is it Left Handed" in navigation bar (not the drop downs) will all be clickable? They should all be links or none of them links.

The testing of a site of different browsers should be done before you launch. The latest average statistics for browser usage are
    Internet Explorer (40.9%)
    Firefox (26.8%)
    Google Chrome (17.6%)
    Safari (6.9%)
    Opera (2.7%)
    Mobile browsers (6.5%)

And IE is slowly losing their share while Chrome is quickly gaining. The statistic counts for IE 6,7,8 & 9. FF 2,3,4 & 5. Chrome 4-14. Safari 3.1-5.1.

When you say it works in Windows(I presume you mean IE) 9, Firefox and Safari, have you tested in all of them? or at least more than 3?

Sorry to be so negative but I have to develop standards compliant websites everyday and one of the most frequent hurdles is to make it workable in as many browsers as possible to increase the chance of visitors.

Well, that's some comeback. I've spent a good bit of time bringing my many years of experience to help you out, with plenty of good advice, for free, and that is your reaction. Not a thank you in sight, just pretty much a fcuk you. Is that how you react to other professional business advice? Your responses reek of misfounded arrogance and to those of us who actually know our stuff, there's obvious ignorance of many very basic practices. However you reckon you know better despite asking for feedback which has not been as good as you think if you actually took the time to read it properly, which you haven't.

Anyway, you know better than us long in the tooth professionals as clearly demonstrated by the fact that you have now put your mugshot on the homepage giving it precedence over your products. Ego before the business of selling, only a genius would think of that.

I had hoped my advice would help but considering your response, I'll remove it as you don't need or want help, in your informed opinion, so why waste it on you? Nor will I wish you any good luck because well you'd probably ignore it? As for being 'trashed' in my post, did you actually read it properly or do you just have a very thin skin?

But I'll give you thanks for something, material for a case study article on how not to take good advice, mistake critical analysis for personal criticism and how not to use that analysis to improve a business. That'll be a good bit of fun. Do please keep posting, the more material, the better.

Good day to you, sir and thanks for the all the fish!

[Shift-F7 - done, wasn't that easy if you're not a pleb.]

Dermo wrote: »
    So the links to "About Us" "News & Events" and "How is it Left Handed" in navigation bar (not the drop downs) will all be clickable? They should all be links or none of them links..

I did have it that way and people were saying they found that confusing as well,

I may change all to a Drop down to have it looking the same.
    Or maybe a arrow pointing down. > ( like that but pointing down)

I am closing this Thread as I have enough Feedback to get the website off the ground.

I would like to say I may be "tin skinned" about my work as I have put a lot of myself, time and money into getting the business and web site off the ground and ready to trade.

I did feel like my work was been trashed, and if I have taken that up the wrong way because of the medium of forms and or the lateness of the time in posted the remarks I Apologise for my Ignorance and rashness.

Thanks again
    JG

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

tricky D wrote: »
    You need to look at the previous good feedback you received in May and reconsider getting a designer to help without general website issues, conversion, SEO and marketing.

Some points:

Edit: Removed, wasted my time on this one.

hth and gl

If tricky D and cormee - two of the best website reviewers on boards - feel their time has been wasted on this that says a lot for me.

• Advertisement

I did just send you a message asking for tread to be shut down
    Not another opinion.
    I am reminded of the quote in this Situation.

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."

Your charming credentials just keep getting better. You'll go far in business.

As for getting the thread shut down, why would that happen? Because you react badly to critique? You don't seem to understand boards. The thread almost certainly won't get deleted so your responses are here for eternity.

From the charter, which you also obviously didn't read...
    This forum is for requesting feedback on your website. If you post a site for critique, don’t complain if you get bad reviews. You want people to see it, you have to allow for the possibility that they wont like it.

All am asking for to have posting function withdrawn , Not the Thread.

The Discussion here is closed for me
    Ended.
    Finished.

I have made an Apology for my remarks

I wish to leave the topic at that

And Agree to Disagree

All am asking for to have posting function withdrawn , Not the Thread.

The Discussion here is closed for me
    Ended.
    Finished.

I have made an Apology for my remarks

I wish to leave the topic at that

And Agree to Disagree

Why would they stop posting?

The reason you have removed your posts is not a difference in opinion, it's because have reacted with thorough rudeness and ingratitude to good and free advice.

For the benefit of others, this is site reviewed: http://client.innov8t.ie/on-the-other-hand/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Great example of how not to ask for reviews.

I've added a link to the forum charter under "Do not call reviewers assholes".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement