Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA 2K12

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Lads got this the other day and am pure sh1te at it, frustrating the hell out of me, any recommendations on good tutorials/vids to watch?

Been trying the training working my way thro the different techniques of shooting, played a few exhibitions but keep getting hammered by AI, my defence in none existent,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Opposite of you Raze, I have only ever played My Player, never even touched online, Jordan mode in 2k11 or legend mode in 2k12 because my player is definitely the most interesting way to play it. I'll be keeping an eye out for the new EA NBA game and see what they do differently.

bean flicker (hahahaha) there are a good few tips vids on youtube, here is one.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Opposite of you Raze, I have only ever played My Player, never even touched online, Jordan mode in 2k11 or legend mode in 2k12 because my player is definitely the most interesting way to play it. I'll be keeping an eye out for the new EA NBA game and see what they do differently.

bean flicker (hahahaha) there are a good few tips vids on youtube, here is one.

Cheers sheehy, now to try and put it into practice. Any recommendations/good channels on YouTube to follow? Frustrating game but class at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Lads got this the other day and am pure sh1te at it, frustrating the hell out of me, any recommendations on good tutorials/vids to watch?

Been trying the training working my way thro the different techniques of shooting, played a few exhibitions but keep getting hammered by AI, my defence in none existent,

Go into Options - then Control Settings, at the bottom of the list there's Defensive Assistance. I set it around 35 out of 100. It helps a lot, so when you control your point guard you can more easily move yourself in front of your opponent's movement.

Try and remember that defence is 90% positioning - you can put people off their shot just by standing beside them, you don't have to press a button. Also, if you're playing a good team then it's suicidal to pressure the ball on the inbound after scoring - your point guard will be out of position leaving a very big hole in your defence. Try position your point guard close to the top of the arc as the ball comes up the floor - do not take the bait of going too close to your opponent. Simply move yourself between him and the basket, while keeping your feet on or around the 3 point line.

If you see a big guy from the other team coming behind you he's going to set a screen, quickly shuffle yourself closer to the ball carrier and pressure him then - the AI is always going to move in the direction of the screen, so move to get ahead of him. Because you weren't too close to begin with this will be easier to deal with.

If you press the steal button you're going to reach for the ball, and the guy you're marking has time to make a shot and your hands can't be up, so it's a free attempt so much more likely to go in.

The left trigger/L2 button puts your team into intense defence. The best way to use this is to watch your opponent, if you're standing and preventing his shot then when he goes to give the pass immediately press L2. It's not guaranteed to work, but it makes the AI player marking the receiver of the pass attempt to get in the way of the ball, maybe palm it away, maybe catch it.

Pressing L2 and the steal button and a direction will make you dive for the ball - this moves you out of position and you won't recover if your opponent is still able to dribble. So don't do that unless he's stopped his dribble by putting two hands on the ball, you could try the steal on the pass.

If someone is running past you, and you're trying to stop them getting a layup move to them and as you come close to them press L2. You'll bother their shot and may make them miss. It's more effective then pressing the Block button, and while it can still foul, it doesn't always result in a foul. Remember that holding L2 makes you move a lot slower, so press it at the right time as you catch up with your opponent - and hold it while you're close to him.

When it comes to the block button it's trial and error. Try and not press it until you're sure a shot is coming, and experiment with what works - you get different results with a tap or a press, or hitting block and R2 together (holding R2 and pressing block isn't as effective as tapping it - so if you're running after someone going for a dunk you're better to release the run button and press it again at the same time as the block button).

You can't defend properly if your players are out of position - which means two things: defending and winning the ball is the best way to get easy points, and not losing the ball on attack is the best way to defend against points.

If you throw bad passes and the other team steal and run or pass down the court on a fast-break you need to slow down how you play. Take what you're given, not what you want.

It can seem a little boring at first, but the best way to avoid giving the ball away is to run plays instead of just moving the ball around with your point guard looking for an opening. You don't have to know the plays to start with, you can tell the computer to call them for you. In the main menu go into Coach Settings, you can turn on playvision and set it to full - so you'll see the diagrams on the floor of where players will set screens for you, where you're supposed to move, and who is going to make a run to come open to try get a shot. After you set that change the offensive playcalling to auto, but leave the defensive playcalling to manual.

Running plays in practice helps you work out how to take the shots - players' timings etc, and makes you more likely to score - but really it's trial and error in games that'll teach you how safe each shot is. A 3 point shot is usually dangerous - if you miss the ball bounces much further from the basket than a close shot, so you're more exposed to the fast break.

You can find tutorials online about crossover techniques, and special dribbles, but to get better at the basics really just takes time.

raze wrote: »
    Go into Options - then Control Settings, at the bottom of the list there's Defensive Assistance. I set it around 35 out of 100. It helps a lot, so when you control your point guard you can more easily move yourself in front of your opponent's movement.

Try and remember that defence is 90% positioning - you can put people off their shot just by standing beside them, you don't have to press a button. Also, if you're playing a good team then it's suicidal to pressure the ball on the inbound after scoring - your point guard will be out of position leaving a very big hole in your defence. Try position your point guard close to the top of the arc as the ball comes up the floor - do not take the bait of going too close to your opponent. Simply move yourself between him and the basket, while keeping your feet on or around the 3 point line.

If you see a big guy from the other team coming behind you he's going to set a screen, quickly shuffle yourself closer to the ball carrier and pressure him then - the AI is always going to move in the direction of the screen, so move to get ahead of him. Because you weren't too close to begin with this will be easier to deal with.

If you press the steal button you're going to reach for the ball, and the guy you're marking has time to make a shot and your hands can't be up, so it's a free attempt so much more likely to go in.

The left trigger/L2 button puts your team into intense defence. The best way to use this is to watch your opponent, if you're standing and preventing his shot then when he goes to give the pass immediately press L2. It's not guaranteed to work, but it makes the AI player marking the receiver of the pass attempt to get in the way of the ball, maybe palm it away, maybe catch it.

Pressing L2 and the steal button and a direction will make you dive for the ball - this moves you out of position and you won't recover if your opponent is still able to dribble. So don't do that unless he's stopped his dribble by putting two hands on the ball, you could try the steal on the pass.

If someone is running past you, and you're trying to stop them getting a layup move to them and as you come close to them press L2. You'll bother their shot and may make them miss. It's more effective then pressing the Block button, and while it can still foul, it doesn't always result in a foul. Remember that holding L2 makes you move a lot slower, so press it at the right time as you catch up with your opponent - and hold it while you're close to him.

When it comes to the block button it's trial and error. Try and not press it until you're sure a shot is coming, and experiment with what works - you get different results with a tap or a press, or hitting block and R2 together (holding R2 and pressing block isn't as effective as tapping it - so if you're running after someone going for a dunk you're better to release the run button and press it again at the same time as the block button).

You can't defend properly if your players are out of position - which means two things: defending and winning the ball is the best way to get easy points, and not losing the ball on attack is the best way to defend against points.

If you throw bad passes and the other team steal and run or pass down the court on a fast-break you need to slow down how you play. Take what you're given, not what you want.

It can seem a little boring at first, but the best way to avoid giving the ball away is to run plays instead of just moving the ball around with your point guard looking for an opening. You don't have to know the plays to start with, you can tell the computer to call them for you. In the main menu go into Coach Settings, you can turn on playvision and set it to full - so you'll see the diagrams on the floor of where players will set screens for you, where you're supposed to move, and who is going to make a run to come open to try get a shot. After you set that change the offensive playcalling to auto, but leave the defensive playcalling to manual.

Running plays in practice helps you work out how to take the shots - players' timings etc, and makes you more likely to score - but really it's trial and error in games that'll teach you how safe each shot is. A 3 point shot is usually dangerous - if you miss the ball bounces much further from the basket than a close shot, so you're more exposed to the fast break.

You can find tutorials online about crossover techniques, and special dribbles, but to get better at the basics really just takes time.

Thanks very much for the information Raze,

I'll stick with it and try out those techniques ect you mentioned, not the easiest game to get to swings with,

Also, would/do you use the d-pad much to set up defensive/offensive plays?

Cheers again

• Advertisement

Also, would/do you use the d-pad much to set up defensive/offensive plays?

Not really something I'd recommend, but it's personal preference and what you're used to.

On defence you start off fairly balanced, so telling your team to lock down the paint will leave three point shooters open, and the increased help defence can reduce how effectively you rebound. Better to leave it as it is.

The defensive formations can be helpful. If you're struggling to stop the other team from breezing past you and getting dunks then you can use a zone defence to keep people in position, but it always means someone isn't covered so mid range and three point shots are just a pass away, so you can't leave it on zone forever or you'll get worse problems. Also you're not moving your man to follow the dribble, you have to keep switching players to follow the ball and it's awkward to get used to.

On attack the only time I'd use the d pad is if I won possession and the other team got mixed up so a big slow player is guarding someone small and fast on my team. It's handy to press right on d pad and then hit x (A on xbox). All your teammates clear a path so if you get by your man you're clear to the basket. It's not terribly useful, the other option result in quick plays that can be effective but are nothing special.

raze wrote: »
    Not really something I'd recommend, but it's personal preference and what you're used to.

On defence you start off fairly balanced, so telling your team to lock down the paint will leave three point shooters open, and the increased help defence can reduce how effectively you rebound. Better to leave it as it is.

The defensive formations can be helpful. If you're struggling to stop the other team from breezing past you and getting dunks then you can use a zone defence to keep people in position, but it always means someone isn't covered so mid range and three point shots are just a pass away, so you can't leave it on zone forever or you'll get worse problems. Also you're not moving your man to follow the dribble, you have to keep switching players to follow the ball and it's awkward to get used to.

On attack the only time I'd use the d pad is if I won possession and the other team got mixed up so a big slow player is guarding someone small and fast on my team. It's handy to press right on d pad and then hit x (A on xbox). All your teammates clear a path so if you get by your man you're clear to the basket. It's not terribly useful, the other option result in quick plays that can be effective but are nothing special.

Cheers Raze, much appreciated. I'll give it ago, I'm sure I'll be back looking for more advice if I don't throw the game out the window before then, thanks

Play for the moment, not the end result to start with. It's nice to win, but it's exactly the same kick you'll get from just doing what you intend to do. Don't get frustrated if you lose the game, you can find positives in bad results too - just remember the tools are there to sort it out down the line.

The temptation is to play it like any other game, when something goes wrong it's natural to run with the ball and in your haste make another mistake. Real basketball is just like that - teams frequently go on runs of scoring without conceding, later there will be a scoring run for the other team because they adapt their game.

If you run after the other team score you'll leave two players behind you on the court, and you won't be looking at the defence you're facing. If you move with a purpose, bringing the ball up and focusing on the play and doing things safely at the very least you'll know you're in control if what you're doing.

Simple screens are really rewarding - you wait for your teammate, you just move the left stick to go wide of him, if the defender gets caught up keep moving without running, move the right stick and watch your player try a layup. You can experiment with that for hours because different players move and shoot differently, and when you have the hang of it you can experiment with pressing L2 and changing direction as you start your run, or using run after you're passed your man for more stylish moves.

This game has had me chain smoking and swearing blind, and will again I'm sure. But if you can find yourself a pocket of zen to play in 2k12 can be the most fun sports game you've ever played.

I'm enjoying my single player Association game, but after tonight I'd say I'm done with the online.

It's the same problem all the time, lads run down the court, pull up and take 3 pointers.
    Even when you know they're going to do it, it's still impossible to mark the right person(some teams have up to 3 shooters) in transition or during a play.
    It's not as if I play sloppy and call double teams all over leaving men free.
    Finding the AI a bit annoying in that regard but I'm aware I can alter the sliders which I'm pondering at the minute.
    Online though is the standard 50's all around which means an uncontested shot goes down 9/10.

In real life hitting above 50% from the 3 line is a big achievement and they're only used as a last resort, not the first line of attack with 20seconds left on the clock.

I like to run plays, post up etc... so playing against someone who's going to have 5/6/7/8 3's with 70%+ accuracy against my 30-40% for 1 point less makes it a waste of time.
    Couldn't be bothered trying to fight fire with fire and play the same, I want to play Basketball not a 3 point shootout. :(

Hope they sort it for next year. I under stand there has to be some penalty to letting guys fire open 3s, as if they success rate was accurate it would mean players packing the paint and giving the low success 3pointer up.
    But the game is just plagued with abuse of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

What platform are you playing on?

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    What platform are you playing on?

PS3.

I had stopped playing the game for a few months. Back then it was all Heat and driving with Lebron.

I've had maybe 4/5 games since I restarted 2/3 weeks ago. Two or Three picked the Celtics and shot 3 pointers, had another with Dallas last night but I won that one and then followed that with a game against Oklahoma where he had 8/9 before HT and I got fed up off it and quit out.

The annoying thing is, it could be sorted with adjusting the sliders(if additional options were given for online).
    3 pointers should have the same chance of falling that a drive contact lay up has, but they slim to never go in.
    And taking a shot inside the line means the 5 players are closer proximity so without even a jump block a standing player will effect the range.
    The only position you can get off an uncontested shot easiest is the 3 point line, and with the standard sliders there's no added penalty for distance if the shot gets an A+

You should get an online association going with the guys on here. We've started one on Xbox and it's good to play against people who aren't d!ckheads and play the game properly

Felexicon wrote: »
    You should get an online association going with the guys on here. We've started one on Xbox and it's good to play against people who aren't d!ckheads and play the game properly

I was actually in the process off trying :D.

The topic made me try to start a PS3 one.
    Got 4 names.... said I'd give it a few days.
    The topic changed and then the thread fell down the pecking order.
    So I set up a new thread with the posters names and looking for more and a Mod moved that and the Xbox one to their respective forums, which I'm sure you'd agree meant zero chance of getting any interested parties(as those sections are console specific now). So I bumped the post in this thread again and then it disappeared back a page or two when game chat took over.

I'll re-quote the post again as I'd like some online play, but couldn't bear playing another 3 point bandit. :D

Wow this game is hard to find in shops. I want to get it 2nd hand in a shop so i could trade a game for it but so far I can only see it in Gamestop new for 35 euro, they can keep it! Think I might just wait for NBA 2K13 at this stage.

Got it again! Jumped straight into My Player, starting PG for the Thunder half way through my 1st season. I see the latest patch made a small difference but still seeing some annoyances like the AI double teaming when they shouldn't be so I will take Raze's advice and move the sliders a bit. My teammates still can't score an open layup when I give the assist so I took them out on a team dinner and saw an instant improvement with them scoring after I give them the pass.

Not getting as worked up this time (although some plays are still unbelievably annoying) as my guy is only 68 OVR but I still get player of the game most games.

Think i'll stick to playing key games so I can finally get to play the finals.

Anyone know if your My Player guy can get picked to play in the all star weekend?

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Got it again! Jumped straight into My Player, starting PG for the Thunder half way through my 1st season. I see the latest patch made a small difference but still seeing some annoyances like the AI double teaming when they shouldn't be so I will take Raze's advice and move the sliders a bit. My teammates still can't score an open layup when I give the assist so I took them out on a team dinner and saw an instant improvement with them scoring after I give them the pass.

Not getting as worked up this time (although some plays are still unbelievably annoying) as my guy is only 68 OVR but I still get player of the game most games.

Think i'll stick to playing key games so I can finally get to play the finals.

Anyone know if your My Player guy can get picked to play in the all star weekend?[/QUOTE]

Yes he can. It takes a few seasons and as its a vote your league wide popularity counts towards it so answer those questions carefully

Advertisement