Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What JRPG are you currently playing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I remember attaching 100 drains to each characters attack and was healing myself for about 6000HP per attack, or something like that anyway. 1-hit KO's were the only real danger then. And there wasn't any regular enemy or boss capable of doing that anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not really a complaint against the game, the best thing about it is how broken the battle system is and exploring ways to exploit it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,041 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

On Disc 3 now. Feeling the effects of the
    orphanage "twist". I like how the GFs almost surgically erased that specific part of each of their fluiching memories ffs!!
    Whoever designed the rules of that wretched card ought to be strung up. Started off as an awesome wee distraction and now it takes me actual hours to abolish some of these moronic "rules".

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That 'twist' is the most retarded piece of storytelling... well ever!

To make it worse
    Irvine knew about it all along, he was there in the orphanage but, you know, didn't bother telling anyone that the person they are trying to kill was Cids wife and looked after them all when they were younger because he didn't think it was important. What a berk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Whoever designed the rules of that wretched card ought to be strung up. Started off as an awesome wee distraction and now it takes me actual hours to abolish some of these moronic "rules".

Yeah I hated those rules too! I would usually spam the square button to speed up the card starting conversation without realising that I had agreed to annoying rules.

That said, the basic card game in FF8 was too easy and boring once you got decent cards (i.e. character cards, or GF cards). It gets to the stage where its impossible to lose. Its just a matter of "claiming" the corners with A-A or 9-9 cards.

That's why I preferred the card game in FF9. It was always a bit more random and unpredictable. But if you had decent cards and placed them well, you had a statistically greater chance to win. I've only recently discovered how the hexadecimal numbering system works and have been playing it lately on the train.

• Advertisement

Some of those rules though wouldn't allow you to claim corners like that. I know my rules got totally ****ed up everywhere I went with Random everywhere and weird rules about how to turn cards. Meant that nearly every card battle had to be very strategic and usually ended up in a planned combo at the last minute.

Really hated the rules for getting some of the rarer cards. The one where you had to lose Ifrit was a real pain especially when I had Random cards and take a random card when you win in that area at the time. Had to keep playing until I got Ifrit in my deck and then if I did I usually ended up fluking a win in the last move by accident or he'd win and not take the right card. Then there was the pain in the ass of trying to win it back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,041 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I missed the Missing Score in FFVII and was raging when I found out that part of Midgar was a one time only thing. I ended up using a guide (just to avoid missing out on items like this) for VIII. The plus rule is evil, just plain evil.
    I reckon Squall was a good idea for a character. I was picturing a Shelldon Cooper type of lone wolf soldier with poor social skills. I'm guessing that they'll have him end up as
    caring and sensitive because he gets together with Rinoa.
    They just went too far with the lone wolf thing and if that is how it ends (I don't know yet) it'll be a bit hard to believe.
    It's been said before and it needs saying again: Irvine is a fluiching tool.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

I got Trails in the Sky as my Christmas JRPG and it's pretty damn good. Hopefully the sequel get to the west at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

Playing FF VIII as well, on the 3rd disc, the part where
    You arrive in Esthar for the first time, and you go to the dreamworld
    Hated the draw function and junctioning as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,138 ✭✭✭✭noodler

On Disc 3 now. Feeling the effects of the
    orphanage "twist". I like how the GFs almost surgically erased that specific part of each of their fluiching memories ffs!!

Very true.

The card game was so addictive at the beginning but the spread of the rules really ruined it near the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I'm currently playing through VIII. There are too many ways to exploit the system for it to be fun though.

That's another feather in IX's cap; unlike VII & VIII there is only one exploit I know about (Quina's lv5 death vs Grand Dragons) that you could really consider being 'breaking' the game, and even that one is troublesome enough to be considered just good strategy.

VIII always feels like everything you do is breaking the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

megaten wrote: »
    I got Trails in the Sky as my Christmas JRPG and it's pretty damn good.
    Got TITS over Xmas too. But only starting it now, and have just passed the Bracer Exam. Seems to be standard JRPG-fare so far but its quite promising. The soundtrack is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Currently playing Dragon Quest VI.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Kinda juping back into FFVI, been sooo long since i played it. forgotten where to go to do stuff n everything. its honestly like playing for the first time.

Have jumped back into Devil Survivor after almost a year, in preparation for the sequel next month. Only on the third day, but definitely my favourite SRPG in a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

ghostchant wrote: »
    Have jumped back into Devil Survivor after almost a year, in preparation for the sequel next month. Only on the third day, but definitely my favourite SRPG in a good while
    Devil Survivor is fantastic. The multiple endings/routes are all worth doing. One of the routes is impossible if you dont have the right demons, think its the cult leader girl one, which is a bit of a pox

Isn't the 3DS one just like a special edition rather than a sequel?

penev10 wrote: »
    Isn't the 3DS one just like a special edition rather than a sequel?

Yes, it's not even in 3D except for the movies. It's got an extra Day 8 scenario. It's better off to think of it like Persona 3 FES to Persona 3.

Yeah Overclocked is just a remaster really. Devil Survivor 2 is out for the DS next month in the states though.

ghostchant wrote: »
    Devil Survivor 2 is out for the DS next month in the states though.
    I didn't know this!:eek: 28th Feb can't come soon enough.

Apparently it's more like Persona 3&4 in the battle system and with character relationships etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got chrono cross off the usa psn store today,has anyone played it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yes, it's not even in 3D except for the movies. It's got an extra Day 8 scenario. It's better off to think of it like Persona 3 FES to Persona 3.
    Is the 3DS version of Devil Survivor coming to PAL regions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Unlikely. very few of the Atlus DS games came out here. Though the 3DS might be different.

Just finished FFVIII and the incredible Demon's Souls. Moved onto FFVI and Dark Souls.

H. H. Asquith

since my last update Ive gone a lil mad. I finished FFVI then started the ds version of 3, I'm around 20 hours in. Then I started devil survivor, great game, on day 2 i think. Now ive just started FFII GBA version, just been arsing around in it leveling up Firion. I also have FFI, FFIV DS, FFV, FF tactics advance, FF tactics ds, 3 gba/DS fire emblem games, Valkyrie Profile and SMT strange journey all waiting in the ranks to be played. should be an interesting couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

THe DS is region free. I imported it from america...and then left it on an airplane:( Great game.

At the momoent I'm playing Etarian Oddesy (so difficult) and Valk Plume (2nd run throuhg to see the endings).

Lahinchians, I found the GBA versions of Fire Emblem and FF Tactics to be better than their DS counterparts - especially in the case of FFT, the DS one was so dissappointing.

dibkins wrote: »
    Lahinchians, I found the GBA versions of Fire Emblem and FF Tactics to be better than their DS counterparts - especially in the case of FFT, the DS one was so dissappointing.

I played a bit of the gba fft really enjoyed it but lost my copy. only recently got it again. its why i got the ds one. sure i'll be giving them a go anyway, will post n say what i though when im finished.

I really hate the Tactics Advance games. They're too easy for their own good and the battles are therefore really unsatisfying. Really hate the shop interface as well.

Have parked Xenoblade Chronicles and gotten back into Persona 4 over the weekend. Forgotten how good it is. Such a great story with almost perfect dubbing. I always opt for the original Jap voices if possible but this is one game where that isn't neccessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Legend of Heroes is $19.99 on US PSN as of tonight. Anyone with a US account get it while it's hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,138 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Playing PSP Version of Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

Have finall gotten to grips with the dodgey camera angles and barely visable squares.

Really am spending way too much time on menus though.

Advertisement