Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-07-2011, 00:28   #1
dev100

Not receiving all saorview channels

Hi Just a quick question for my mate he bought a saorview box for his holiday home in curracloe in wexford he has an old telly and says he bought an ariel for it. He receives all the radio channels plus the rte news channel picture is perfect, but he cant get the normal channels. I have the same setup and mine is perfect where Im living. is it a simple fix?

Now if this issue is addressed else where my apologies to the Mods
Advertisement
14-07-2011, 00:40   #2
Jpmarn

Are you sure that this set top box is Saorview approved? Is the Word Saorview on the box? or is it a cheap Freeview box from England? Reception quality may be poor how does the anologue channels tune in?
14-07-2011, 00:47   #3
dev100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmarn View Post
Are you sure that this set top box is Saorview approved? Is the Word Saorview on the box? or is it a cheap Freeview box from England? Reception quality may be poor how does the anologue channels tune in?
The two of us bought both soarview boxes on same day from powercity, I was able to pick up all the irish channels straight away no hassles where I live. he says he can pick up the news channel crystal clear and thats all thats been picked up. After that Ive no idea .
14-07-2011, 01:15   #4
jobyrne30

It's a common problem in Wexford where aerials where are set up for analogue signals from Mount Leinster. In that locality the new digital signal from Mount Leinster suffers interference from Wales. The interference is blocking the channels being broadcast on MUX1(Channel45). MUX2(Channel39) is testing at the moment, it's broadcasting the radio channels and RTE News Now and it is not subject to the interference. I'd hazard a guess this is what your brother is receiving.

He will need to adjust his aerial to point towards another transmitter mast, going by the RTE coverage checker - http://coverage.rtenl.ie/RTENLcoveragechecker.php , Forth Mountain is the correct one to be pointing at. Pointing it towards Gorey is another option. He will need to do a rescan one the aerial is adjusted.
14-07-2011, 01:15   #5
The Cush

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev100 View Post
The two of us bought both soarview boxes on same day from powercity, I was able to pick up all the irish channels straight away no hassles where I live. he says he can pick up the news channel crystal clear and thats all thats been picked up. After that Ive no idea .
If possible can he check the receiver out at another location with a known good aerial?

What is the make and model of the receiver?
Advertisement
15-07-2011, 10:18   #6
steveq

I think jobyrne30 has correctly pinpointed your pal's problem.
I had a poor aerial and a rescan completely missed MUX 1 with all the DTT channels and could only pick up the new MUX 2. This might have been weather related or maybe a change in the transmission power as it had worked well before.
MUX 2 has a number of blank channels, a test HD rolling clip and RTE News Now.

A correct Group aerial for the transmitter sorted me out and a rescan found both MUXes.

Here is a simple guide to the Group and Polarisation:
http://www.tvtrade.ie/digital-tv-aer...ion-guide.html
15-07-2011, 13:43   #7
lucernarian

Anyone with this problem, Please do email RTENL about this issue with not receiving some RTE channels in Wexford (brian.geraghty@rte.ie, the email address is publicly displayed on their website for dealing with DTT issues) and also the communications regulator (who is basically to blame for this mess) at interference@comreg.ie.

There's little that can be done until the regulator and RTE work out a different plan for DTT frequencies in the southeast.
15-07-2011, 18:10   #8
Paddy C

Strangely, I get a 98% signal strength on CH53 from Clermont but only 3-4% quality so I now cannot watch any Saorview channels. I am in the North and although I am technically not meant to be albe to receive the service, it is infuriating when a friend who lives 10 minutes away can get all the channels no problem.
15-07-2011, 22:50   #9
lucernarian

That's a completely separate issue in fairness. This thread's about being able to pick up one multiplex while not being able to receive the other. A problem most often found in the southeast.

DTT from Clermont Carn in the six counties will be sorted out when the new, permanent DTT antenna is fitted on Clermont Carn and the power is turned up also. Signal quality is what matters, you can still enjoy good reception with a low signal strength reading. Though oftentimes a TV reporting very high signal strength and no quality on a mux is down to either excessive amplification or a very strong source of local EM interference or co-channel interference from another analogue or digital station on the same channel.
Advertisement
15-07-2011, 23:26   #10
Paddy C

Well, I can't get MUX 2 on CH57 at all if that counts for anything
15-07-2011, 23:42   #11
Gerry Wicklow

@Paddy C
To put things in perspective, I normally get Preseli CH45 at 80% signal and 100% quality. If, due to weather, Preseli drops to 77% signal, I get 0% quality as Mt Leinster jams it. In other words 2 percentage points means all or nothing.
16-07-2011, 00:16   #12
STB
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by To_be_confirmed View Post
Anyone with this problem, Please do email RTENL about this issue with not receiving some RTE channels in Wexford (brian.geraghty@rte.ie, the email address is publicly displayed on their website for dealing with DTT issues) and also the communications regulator (who is basically to blame for this mess) at interference@comreg.ie.

There's little that can be done until the regulator and RTE work out a different plan for DTT frequencies in the southeast.
Sorry that is completely incorrect.

The problems in Wexford are down to people not making the choice between whether they want Irish or UK channels.

Anyone using a high gain aerial pointing at Wales is going to have problems and experience RTE appearing and disappearing because Mt Leinster is only coming in the back of the aerial during non lift conditions. That these aerials positioned for Wales with added masthead amps turned up full whack to pull in far awy signals rather than local Mt Leinster is the ROOT of the problem.

What is with people fascination of using high gain aerials pointing away from Mt Leinster and thinking its possible. Get a Sat dish if you want the UK channels like the rest of the country.

The aerial installers are being driven demented down in Wexford by people who want it all. It simply willl NOT work.

Ch 45 is allocated to Ireland for PSB Mux 1 for Mt Leinster, end of. Make a choice. Want Saorview ? Turn your aerial around and turn the fecking gain down on the masthead amp. Feck sake. It wouldnt be co channel if people wherent do things to make it so.

I am on the coast and use an indoor aerial for Mt Leinster (as well as outdoor yagi) with no problems.

Last edited by STB; 16-07-2011 at 00:22.
Thanks from:
16-07-2011, 01:38   #13
FRIENDO

A great selections of channels are on Freeview from Wales including Channel Yesterday which is not on FTA satellite.
I dont believe it is right to complain to RTE as I now get perfect Saorview.
However I am unable to combine Saorview and Freeview on one cable as I loose Saorview in some weather conditions.
The solution for me was two cables one to my tv (Freeview) and a second to a saorview STB.
16-07-2011, 01:44   #14
lucernarian

There is a poster here who resides in somewhat difficult terrain for Mt. Leinster, in Wexford. Reception on Ch. 39 was possible but Ch.45 never worked, while using a Group B aerial pointed at the Saorview transmitter. He was eventually sorted out by getting the aerial instead to pull in Forth Mountain, despite being over 20 km away IIRC.

Now, go tell him that he's "incorrect" when he pointed an aerial at Mt. Leinster and still couldn't receive Mux 1 from Mt. Leinster...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...6146297&page=2

Also, what was incorrect about my post?! ComReg and OfCom are jointly responsible for spectrum coordination in the case of Mt. Leinster and Preseli, the offending co-channel interferer. Not much point in talking to OfCom about it as they are responsible for that jurisdiction's citizens. RTENL also liase with ComReg on Digital Switchover and the spectrum planning needs of RTE as a public service broadcaster and a user who loses reception of RTÉ on one mux would only be right to contact them over the causes and possible solutions. Hence RTENL's email address.

When telling someone they're "completely incorrect", please show them the courtesy of actual evidence for why they are wrong!

Last edited by lucernarian; 16-07-2011 at 02:08. Reason: no group C/D aerial involved
Thanks from:
16-07-2011, 02:07   #15
FRIENDO

Yes, I also had the same problem. I could get Ch 39 on test but I could not get Ch 45 from Mth Lenister. At the time I did complain to both RTE and my local TD.
In time RTE advised me to try Forth which is approx 20-25km away. Luckily I was using a wideband aerial so I did not need to buy a new aerial.
I taught a group B should have been fine for Forth 52V but may be a problem for 2nd Test Mux on 56V

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion