Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-07-2011, 20:14   #1
Katienewbuild

Freaking out.com!

hi all,
Just wondering is anyone else disturbed by the cost of building in 2011???? we are building a new dormer bungalow in Tipperary. With quotes coming back from builders, electricians, plumbers and so on its coming in at roughly 90 /sq ft. house is 2500sq ft.!!! Some window companies wouldnt even look at it, they obviously have enough work!!! some people have priced DOUBLE others!!! I just cant believe it. Now we cant start anything or make any real decisions because of this. Help anyone!!!!
Advertisement
03-07-2011, 21:26   #2
1chippy
Closed Account

90 per ft sounds about right for a reasonable spec. can be done at a bit less but depends on what you want. if one item is less than aonother item make sure the specs are identical and the fitters or relevant contractor has the same standing within his or her field of expertise.
03-07-2011, 22:52   #3
wirehairmax

What did you expect? Materials have mostly gone up considerably and labour prices have bottomed out. Carpenters,brickies, sparks etc are mostly good value at the moment but you get what you pay for. Beware a price that sounds too good to be true and dont pay cash as the bad horror stories are becoming more and more common with people being left with shoddy bad work by dodgy guys from the dole queue who undercut legit businesses just to get started and then realise they cant finish the work to an acceptable standard and disappear.
Why did you design a 2500sq ft house if you cant afford to build it? Do you really need a house that big? A well designed 1800-2000sq ft house is surely of adequate size for most modern families. Did your architect not advise you of costings before it went to planning? You could also have sought the services of a QS/PM to prepare a detailed cost analysis pre-planning. If you are feeling this way, this early into your build, I can only foresee a long and difficult build process ahead of you.
04-07-2011, 10:03   #4
sinnerboy
Closed Account

OP please read here and here for wide ranging discussions on costs.

What costing documents ( drawings , specifications and contractual documentation ) do you have prepared for tendering ?
04-07-2011, 12:05   #5
martinn123

Hi Katie..........don't panic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katienewbuild View Post
hi all,
Just wondering is anyone else disturbed by the cost of building in 2011???? we are building a new dormer bungalow in Tipperary. With quotes coming back from builders, electricians, plumbers and so on its coming in at roughly 90 /sq ft. house is 2500sq ft.!!!
Looking at the links posted by sinnerboy above, I think you will find costs have reduced over the past year. What discussions on costs have you had since you started this journey.Did you discuss it with Arch. pre planning, or while you were waiting for planning to come through.Did you have to put together a costing for banking purposes.........if so it should not have come as a surprise
Quote:
Some window companies wouldnt even look at it, they obviously have enough work!!! some people have priced DOUBLE others!!!
Remember you are at quote stage, and we are in a recession, if some window co's wont give you a quote.......move on........plenty looking for work out there........
Quote:
I just cant believe it. Now we cant start anything or make any real decisions because of this. Help anyone!!!!
Start by having a discussion with your Architect, on your budget, the costs obtained so far, and your options. If it appears you will overshoot, funds available, can you comprimise in certain areas.You have a long, and interesesting time ahead.........plenty of time to panic later.......
Advertisement
04-07-2011, 12:43   #6
mistermister
Banned

Hi. You should look at getting windows abroad. I was getting prices of 8000 - 14000 for windows here and got a price of 3,000 from Poland including delivery to here. Fancy door handles here were around 35 for a pair and 15 for similar looking ones in Belgium last week.
05-07-2011, 13:02   #7
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinn123 View Post
Hi Katie..........don't panicLooking at the links posted by sinnerboy above, I think you will find costs have reduced over the past year.
What cost's have reduced ? Every material has increased, and is about to increase again. Insulation alone has increased 3 times in 2011, and is due to go up again in August.

The only thing that's changed, and is now, frankly, on the floor, is labour. In my sphere, labour only accounts for 10% of the cost, so there's no big scope there.
Thanks from:
05-07-2011, 13:24   #8
martinn123

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post
What cost's have reduced ? Every material has increased, and is about to increase again. Insulation alone has increased 3 times in 2011, and is due to go up again in August.

The only thing that's changed, and is now, frankly, on the floor, is labour. In my sphere, labour only accounts for 10% of the cost, so there's no big scope there.
From the Thread 2011 Building costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiverineskimo
About 8 to 9 months ago our architect estimated our build to be about 100 euro per sq ft for a reasonably high-spec build. Due to delays in getting our plans together he now reckons it's down around 85 to 90 euro per sq ft on average for the same spec.
From the Thread 2010 Building costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moan77
Allow € 90 per square foot for builder finish, or allow € 150 per sq ft for descent finish or € 200 per sq ft for top notch. p.s. i am in Kilkenny and these are the prices down here, but up in the big smoke prices might be more.
So I am referring to overall, prices being quoted for building work.
05-07-2011, 17:20   #9
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinn123 View Post
From the Thread 2011 Building costs
...also illustrates what I said: materials costs all up, not down.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-07-2011, 22:34   #10
ewanalex

OK now you have me freaking out!
We have had several discussions with various builders/archetects etc and the average for builders finish for a 2700sqf dormer house and garage is approx €70 per sqf, i am certain we can get this down somehow!
I have been reading up as much as i can and it really baffles me how the professionals come to this figure: can someone help me decide where my budget should go for a B1 rated house?
Also we are so undecided on whether we woudl actually save anything if we go direct labour or contract?
there is also confusion over the heating system to use, i had no idea where to add this post on this site as i have so many varying questions that it seemed to fit anywhere
06-07-2011, 08:16   #11
DOCARCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanalex View Post
Also we are so undecided on whether we woudl actually save anything if we go direct labour or contract?
The risk is that if you go direct labour you will only know the actual cost after the job is complete and you are going to need to spend a lot of your time on the project or you should consider engaging a project manager.

I had one project we tendered to contractors - the client thought prices were too expensive so she decided to go direct labour. At the end of the project when she totalled her costs, they came in quite a bit more than the lowest (and second lowest) tender recieved.
06-07-2011, 09:07   #12
ewanalex

Thank you for the quick reply but the reason I'm confused is I guess we don't fully understand where these quotes come from and how they can vary so much, for example if I allow the following budget surely doubling the figure makes no sense

2700sqf
Concrete floors up and down
Underfloor heating up and down stairs
Can't decide yet on heating system (help)
B1 rating

Groundworks - 13000
Blockwork - 15000
plumbing - 10000
Electrics - 10000
Carpentry - 10000
Windows - 12000
Roof - 12000
Plastering - 8000

Now the above comes to q very approximate 100k, it's a pretty standard job with no major issues from what I know the only bespoke thing is a long shaped window which we have been quoted 3500 for min!!
Also it's a dormer so there are 9 gelid and 17 standard windows 900 wide,
We are waiting on some quotes back but we have no idea what's good or bad so we've no idea if were getting a good deal and the quotes that have come back so far are 200k +++ ? hence why I'm confused! Help!!!
06-07-2011, 09:54   #13
DOCARCH

Where did you get your budget figures from???

E 200k, in my opinion, sounds about right for a basic 2700sq.ft. dormer bungalow/house (to B1) - or at least it sounds more right than E 100k?
06-07-2011, 10:04   #14
kayos

ewanalex you seem to be missing some major parts in your figures. Heck if you can build a 2700sq/ft house for 100K then your talking 37 per sq/ft. If you manage that let us know how .

We were given this as a rough guide to the break down of an overall build cost.

Site Clearance 3%
Foundation 9%
External Walls 17%
Roof 9%
Windows and External Doors 7%
Upper Floor 2%
Stairs 1%
Internal Walls 2.5%
Internal Doors 2.5%
Floor Finishes 4%
Wall Finishes 5%
Ceiling Finishes 2%
Heating 6%
Electrical Installation 4%
Water Installation (Cold/Warm) 2%
Waste & Sanitary 7%
Kitchen 5%
Built In Cupboards 1%
Professional Fees 11%
06-07-2011, 11:20   #15
Katienewbuild

sorry guys, I diddnt mean to freak people out with this thread. A couple of days since ive posted it and already companies are coming down in price, Its funny what happens when you decide to really really make a million and one phone calls etc what you can achieve, example one: timberframe companies, same U value, same airtightness: 13000 in difference
example two: plasterer internal and external: 20000 with one "fantastic Plasterer" 80000 with another "fantastic plasterer" some difference!!!!!!!! Both mens work has been seen!!
anyways, after freaking out .com we've decided to put on the breaks and take our time until the prices are right we cant afford to build in this " recession" climate free for all!!!!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion