Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-02-2012, 12:31   #46
Galvasean

Send a message via MSN to Galvasean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dades View Post
This really is exceptional news.

And I say this as a taxpayer, more so than an atheist.
I say that exclusively as a taxpayer. Hopefully the remaining funding will go to people who actually need it.
Advertisement
02-02-2012, 12:39   #47
MagicMarker

Only seeing the thread for the first time now. Good to see the payments have been reduced but I still think it's a bit much considering many of these children will more than likely be receiving cards on their ''big day'' stuffed with cash.
Thanks from:
02-02-2012, 13:04   #48
gbee
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMarker View Post
will more than likely be receiving cards on their ''big day'' stuffed with cash.
Yes, an traditionally, that money was to go towards the dresses, suits etc,
02-02-2012, 14:10   #49
robindch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbee View Post
Yes, an traditionally, that money was to go towards the dresses, suits etc,
Not so far as I experienced it, or recall it - straight into the pocket, at the speed of sound!
02-02-2012, 14:24   #50
sephir0th

Do people of other religions qualify for these grants too?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-02-2012, 15:04   #51
Zamboni

The icing on the cake is that Mary Lou is disgusted with it
(5) thanks from:
02-02-2012, 15:10   #52
magicbastarder

i wouldn't have expected that. sinn fein is a declared secular party, isn't it?
02-02-2012, 15:16   #53
Penn
Well-endowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
Mary Lou is a declared "I oppose every decision made by everyone" whinger though
02-02-2012, 15:18   #54
Zamboni

Quote:
Well, I saw her shopping for communion outfits in Debenhams about three weeks ago...no joke.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-02-2012, 17:49   #55
Liamario

Send a message via MSN to Liamario
I understand that Mary Lou McDonald too a swipe at Eamon Gilmore's non-belief.... anyone know what she said?
02-02-2012, 18:02   #56
keepritephysio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPudding View Post
To be honest I think this is a slightly less evil than some of the other stuff I have heard. A few years a go there was a nun on NewsTalk 106, the George Hook programme I think, who worked in an organisation that provided help and support for prostitutes. Apparently the number of working prostitutes in the state massively increases during the first communion period as women go on the game temporarily to help gathering the money required. Pretty disgusting.

This nun, can’t remember her name, this was years ago, said it was up to the parish priest to decide what was worn. She called for them to declare school uniforms should be worn. For some reason this does not seem to be something that has caught on…

MrP
What a sensible idea! The Church could make a rule tomorrow that only a SIMPLE robe worn over clothes would be acceptable for First Holy Communion. This could be provided by the schools to be used year after year. All the children would look the same and could concentrate on the ceremony rather than their appearance. How could that be wrong?
02-02-2012, 18:10   #57
Liamario

Send a message via MSN to Liamario
Apparently she said something on the lines of- whatever your religious views are, these children deserved to be dressed appropriately...

Now if we were talking about muslim children or a religious fate where children are required to wear diamonds as part of a ceremony; would she feel as strong about it?!?!

(RHETORICAL QUESTION)
02-02-2012, 18:18   #58
gbee
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepritephysio View Post
How could that be wrong?
It's awful. It is common now with confirmations and as time passes the children are discarding the roles as soon as they are confirmed and the fashion show begins.

It doesn't actually stop anything as the glamour is worn underneath.

Uniforms, you know the child spends enough time in the uniform already. The children are very unhappy for their conformation, and especially when three or more small parishes combine in one church and some are dressed to the nines and others in their school uniform.

Another side of the uniform is it is almost always brand new too ~ so the expense continues, some children disobey the uniform as they can't afford to buy a new one if there are no more sibling to pass it down to.

For a girl especially, the dressing up is a major part, girls love the white dress and mums just adore their boys in jackets and long trousers. It's a special day and while people may need assistance, the extra SW payments should be stopped.

One of my own children was dressed by the school and another IR£70 jacket [1987] was purchased by a God Parent and that went on to dress three more boys in time.

Last edited by gbee; 02-02-2012 at 18:21.
Thanks from:
02-02-2012, 19:39   #59
goose2005

Quote:
what if they're in a school which does not enforce a uniform-only policy during communion? i'd feel a bit heartless telling my kid they're going to be the one in their school uniform when everyone else is in a dress.
How about telling them that they can have a dress if they go to Mass every Sunday the rest of their lives, attend regular confession, study the Bible and Catholic doctrine and obey all Catholic social and moral teaching. That'd sort out the wheat from the chaff (and as our everso kind and merciful god tells us, "His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPudding View Post
To be honest I think this is a slightly less evil than some of the other stuff I have heard. A few years a go there was a nun on NewsTalk 106, the George Hook programme I think, who worked in an organisation that provided help and support for prostitutes. Apparently the number of working prostitutes in the state massively increases during the first communion period as women go on the game temporarily to help gathering the money required. Pretty disgusting.
That sounds like nonsense to me - there'd be no increase in demand in the same period, so I don't see why there would be a huge increase in supply.
02-02-2012, 21:31   #60
Bookworm85

I nearly fell off my chair today when I heard this!

when I was unemployed I volunteered in a charity shop in cork, they regularly got donations of communion dresses and other boys clothes (suits, trousers, waistcoats etc) that would have been suitable for the occasion. They we're all for sale for at least 1/3 of the going rate (well the dresses were anyway) and they hardly ever shifted.

However, just across the street is a well known shop that sells communion wear and people were practically queuing out the door!

Anyway, classing this as an "exceptional need" is beggars belief! An exceptional need is when you can't pay for medicine or put food on the table ffs. Now I know times are tough, and I spent enough time on the dole to know how hard it can be to make ends meet. I managed to go to 3 weddings last year while unemployed, and I did it by managing my money, yes I had cut back (even further) on spending, but I managed. There were 2 other weddings that year that I would have loved to go to, but the money wasn't there so I didn't go!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion