Post here if you need assistance filling out the grant form! - Page 23 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-01-2012, 18:58   #331
BD28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8
Can somebody tell me what is the difference between the two income tables for grants on the Citizens advice website. The first one is almost self explanatory and our income is marginally over the limit but then the second table refers to 50% tuition fees and 100% student contribution and our income would fall into this categegory. Can anyone explain in plain English what the difference is and would we qualify for any sort of help under the second one. We are West of Ireland and she would be going to study in Dublin
BD28 is offline  
Advertisement
13-01-2012, 19:02   #332
augusta24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD28 View Post
Can somebody tell me what is the difference between the two income tables for grants on the Citizens advice website. The first one is almost self explanatory and our income is marginally over the limit but then the second table refers to 50% tuition fees and 100% student contribution and our income would fall into this categegory. Can anyone explain in plain English what the difference is and would we qualify for any sort of help under the second one. We are West of Ireland and she would be going to study in Dublin
Have you got a link to these tables? I think I know the ones you're talking about but can't remember them fully and don't see them on the site.
augusta24 is offline  
13-01-2012, 19:12   #333
BD28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...l_courses.html

hope this works....its on the means test part of the citizensinformation website....i just googled student grants and went into their site.

ThanksB
BD28 is offline  
13-01-2012, 19:43   #334
Joeytheparrot
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD28 View Post
Can somebody tell me what is the difference between the two income tables for grants on the Citizens advice website. The first one is almost self explanatory and our income is marginally over the limit but then the second table refers to 50% tuition fees and 100% student contribution and our income would fall into this categegory. Can anyone explain in plain English what the difference is and would we qualify for any sort of help under the second one. We are West of Ireland and she would be going to study in Dublin

The first table means they get the student contribution of 2000 paid plus maintenance of 3000 or 2000 or 1000.

The second table means they don't get maintenance but they get the student contribution either fully paid or partially paid

Obviously those are the 2011/2012 figures so they will probably change for 2012/2013. The student contribution goes up to 2250. I am presuming also that your daughter is fully eligible for free tuition fees.
Joeytheparrot is offline  
Thanks from:
13-01-2012, 19:48   #335
BD28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8
Thanks, thats a little clearer....I realise the figures will probably change but maybe not too much....as for free tuition yes I presume she qualifies? Why would she not?

Thanks a million for your help

BD
BD28 is offline  
Advertisement
13-01-2012, 19:54   #336
Joeytheparrot
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD28 View Post
Thanks, thats a little clearer....I realise the figures will probably change but maybe not too much....as for free tuition yes I presume she qualifies? Why would she not?

Thanks a million for your help

BD


Once she is an Irish citizen then yes she will almost certainly be eligible for free tuition fees. The new means tests will take some capital assets into account
Joeytheparrot is offline  
14-06-2012, 23:22   #337
ac07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Hi,
I have a question regarding the dependent/Independent mature student part.
In October i lived in Australia, i returned home in Jan and have since been living back in my parents home, does this class me as being dependent?
Thanks
ac07 is offline  
03-07-2012, 16:09   #338
Harblarblar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 43
Hi Im filling out the grant this year and my Dad is self employed also..I'm just wondering what you ended up doing in this situation as I see no other answers?Thanks
Harblarblar is offline  
03-07-2012, 16:51   #339
hcass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Swords
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac07 View Post
Hi,
I have a question regarding the dependent/Independent mature student part.
In October i lived in Australia, i returned home in Jan and have since been living back in my parents home, does this class me as being dependent?
Thanks
I'd say so - just a little word on you living in Oz. I had to account for my time spent in Oz - needed to get an affidavit signed by a commissioner for oaths to account for the time spent outside Ireland. No one told me this until I sent in my forms and did everything else - it's not written anywhere and was a cause of real annoyance to me cos they only let me know weeks after i had sent everything in - my application was delayed for ages because of it so just thought I'd give you a heads up.
hcass is offline  
Advertisement
03-07-2012, 22:55   #340
ac07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcass View Post
I'd say so - just a little word on you living in Oz. I had to account for my time spent in Oz - needed to get an affidavit signed by a commissioner for oaths to account for the time spent outside Ireland. No one told me this until I sent in my forms and did everything else - it's not written anywhere and was a cause of real annoyance to me cos they only let me know weeks after i had sent everything in - my application was delayed for ages because of it so just thought I'd give you a heads up.
Thanks for the heads up
ac07 is offline  
16-07-2012, 18:29   #341
Tulip75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Confused re. Eligibility and Change in circumstances

Hi,

I received the grant as a mature student last year and was entitled to 100% student contribution, full fees and 25% maintenance. My income for 2011 (prior to starting college) puts me over the limit for the amount I received last year but it looks like I would receive 50% of the Student Contribution. There's no way I'm going to be able to afford my fees and half the SC this year!!

I moved in with my BF at the beginning of the summer (he's currently not working and in receipt of JB) so when filling in the grant form for this coming year do I need to account for his JB for 2011 and my earnings for the first 9 months of 2011 i.e. complete the applicant and co-habitant sections or just the co-habitant section?

It seemed way more straight forward last year and I expected this year (as a renewal of last year's application) to be the same but it's like applying from scratch all over again and I'm so confused!!

Any help appreciated!
Tulip75
Tulip75 is offline  
16-07-2012, 18:39   #342
augusta24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip75 View Post
Hi,

I received the grant as a mature student last year and was entitled to 100% student contribution, full fees and 25% maintenance. My income for 2011 (prior to starting college) puts me over the limit for the amount I received last year but it looks like I would receive 50% of the Student Contribution. There's no way I'm going to be able to afford my fees and half the SC this year!!

I moved in with my BF at the beginning of the summer (he's currently not working and in receipt of JB) so when filling in the grant form for this coming year do I need to account for his JB for 2011 and my earnings for the first 9 months of 2011 i.e. complete the applicant and co-habitant sections or just the co-habitant section?

It seemed way more straight forward last year and I expected this year (as a renewal of last year's application) to be the same but it's like applying from scratch all over again and I'm so confused!!

Any help appreciated!
Tulip75

I don't know anything about including your boyfriends income so maybe someone else can help with that.
But are you still earning? Because you could tell them that you've had a change of circumstances and so no longer earn what you did in 2011.
augusta24 is offline  
20-07-2012, 19:56   #343
CommanderC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Banned
Posts: 387
3 out of 5 years residence.

Does anyone know is this 5 years counting back from July 2012. So I could send them documents for 3 years between July 2007 and July 2012 ?
CommanderC is offline  
23-07-2012, 20:40   #344
Joeytheparrot
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderC View Post
Does anyone know is this 5 years counting back from July 2012. So I could send them documents for 3 years between July 2007 and July 2012 ?
Yes that should be fine
Joeytheparrot is offline  
Thanks from:
24-07-2012, 23:28   #345
Bears and Vodka
Registered User
 
Bears and Vodka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,131
Hi, I got my application pack and they require a ''certified copy of passport'' (as proof of nationality). How do you define a 'certified' copy? Do you make a photocopy and go to the solicitor?
Bears and Vodka is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet